Has the love for the Zapper and Arcade Shooters died?

Ravenous

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Back when the zapper came out lots of games were announced that supported it. Now it seems all we have to look forward to is HotD: Overkill. No announcements for arcade ports or anything. Love for the zapper and arcade shooters seems to be losing support and love....

No love lost in my house. I'm even thinking about buying the nerf game, but I guess that just proves your point about Zapper support, eh?

Hey yeah - what happened? That WiiWare shooter was all right fun, but it's been a while even since that came out. I have a vague memory of reading about some shooters coming out soon but I can't remember what they were. I'll try to find what I'm thinking of...

[quote name='Ravenous']Now it seems all we have to look forward to is HotD: Overkill. No announcements for arcade ports or anything. Love for the zapper and arcade shooters seems to be losing support and love....[/quote]

Sega is all there is to bank on right now. Ghost Squad and HotD 2 & 3 Returns have been the high points of arcade shooters on the Wii (and that's not saying a lot). I hope they bring the Rambo arcade shooter to Wii...but that's highly doubtful. It has cutscenes from the movies!

Haha but seriously I think there's a lot more untapped potential. With Wii Motion Plus coming soon, it'd be nice to see Time Crisis, Police 911, Police Enforcer, Revolution X, T2 Arcade, etc, etc. All of these old arcade shooters could appeal to the casual and seasoned gamers.

[quote name='typeRJ']T2 Arcade, etc, etc. All of these old arcade shooters could appeal to the casual and seasoned gamers.[/quote]
For those open to emulators through the Homebrew Channel, there's a Genesis emulator that includes remote support to mimic the Menacer. Too bad there were only like two games for it and they were terrible. The Menacer emulation is good though.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']isnt a new house of the dead coming out...?[/quote]

House of the Dead: Overkill (it's in the OP!)

[quote name='typeRJ']Sega is all there is to bank on right now. Ghost Squad and HotD 2 & 3 Returns have been the high points of arcade shooters on the Wii (and that's not saying a lot). I hope they bring the Rambo arcade shooter to Wii...but that's highly doubtful. It has cutscenes from the movies!

Haha but seriously I think there's a lot more untapped potential. With Wii Motion Plus coming soon, it'd be nice to see Time Crisis, Police 911, Police Enforcer, Revolution X, T2 Arcade, etc, etc. All of these old arcade shooters could appeal to the casual and seasoned gamers.[/QUOTE]

T2 arcade ! I haven't thought of that game in ages. Shit, I'd buy that in a heartbeat, in a freaking heartbeat. A Wiimote Virtual Console version would be awesome too.

I wonder why Point Blank hasn't been ported yet? They did a DS version, so a Wii version is a no-brainer.

Is Target Terror as bad as the reviews say?
I'd like to see more arcade shooters, especially the Point Blank and Time Crisis series since I missed out on most of them.

If anyone's a fan of the Genesis shooting games like Mad Dog McCree or Lethal Enforcers, you should get Wild West Guns on WiiWare. It's good stuff.

I don't see why T2 arcade or a Point Blank type game couldn't be sold Via WiiWare. Of course, I don't have space for any more games anyway...

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Is Target Terror as bad as the reviews say?[/QUOTE]
Played Target: Terror in the arcade and thought it was cheesy beer-and-pretzels fun. If you liked the gun games Area 51 or Maximum Force, it's in the same vein. And being developed by the creator of Robotron: 2084 is nothing to sneeze at. ;)

And I hear Call of Duty: World at War has Zapper support.

--R.J.

[quote name='bmulligan']
I don't see why T2 arcade couldn't be sold Via WiiWare. Of course, I don't have space for any more games anyway...[/quote]

*Sigh* Just like Goldeneye, the license has switched hands(I believe Atari still has it). Not to mention that the company that made the T2 arcade game has been out of business now for 4 years(the old Acclaim, the new one has nothing to do w/ the old company). So it's pretty much impossible to see that happening.

I would like to see perfect ports of Area 51 & Maximum Force. Maybe Midway could do some Midway Arcade Treasures type collection w/ their old light-gun games? Those were pretty fun in the arcade, but never got a decent home console port.

[quote name='tangytangerine']
I would like to see perfect ports of Area 51 & Maximum Force. Maybe Midway could do some Midway Arcade Treasures type collection w/ their old light-gun games? Those were pretty fun in the arcade, but never got a decent home console port.[/QUOTE]

That would be great also. With all the crap that's newly packed on the shelf for the Wii crowding an already overcrowded wall of crap, why isn't somebody besides Sega trying to unload some of the old titles that weren't half bad? After 2 years, you'd think they'd be ready to shovel some of it this holiday season instead of just making new crap that's a bunch of crap.

There's actually quite a few games that are coming out that are Zapper supported. Unfortunately, they are more along the lines of shovel ware. Doesn't mean they won't be good, but they aren't really .. big and hype.

Sure, HotD: Overkill is probably currently the only big zapper game coming out, but there are out there. Don't forget that CoD: WaW, which just came out, is heavily Zapper supported.

So, with all the Deer Drive talk I tried a few hunting games this weekend with the Zapper. They were generally poorly made and offensive, but I still had fun. If you're in a lull my favorite one so far was Great North American Hunt or something like that, but some of the Cabela ones were pretty good too. Cabela Dangerous Hunts 2009 was way too hard for me - on the easiest setting I just kept getting eaten by lions and hyenas while my wife cheered them on. I have to say, I was kind of rooting for the lions too even while I was shooting at them.

[quote name='drktrpr1']I hope they DO do duck hunt on Wii Ware![/quote]
I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't made a Wiiware version yet, it seems like a perfect fit for the Wii.

[quote name='decrot']shooters on the wii sucks. its just not the same as point and shoot arcade games.[/quote]
Huh?

bread's done
Back