Hasting's Closing Stores So Lookout For Sales *YMMV*

intoxicated662

CAGiversary!
Feedback
219 (99%)
I was at my local hastings (78501 zip code) today and saw that this particular store is going to be closed by Feb 11, 2010 so they're having sales going on right now. 20% off used games, 50% off video game guides, 50% off books and there are other deals but those were the main ones I was interested in and took notice in. They also have a sale where if you buy Mass Effect 2 brand new for the xbox 360 you get $10 off the X1 (wired) turtle beach headset. Feel free to add and update whatever finds you have and remember it is YMMV as not all stores are closing just some. By the way, this is the same store (company) as gohastings.com and I spoke to a worker who said that every other day or so they'll have more sales and discounts. So I guess this will be like the compusa fiasco where every few days the % discount was being more and more.

Thanks for the info. The Hastings here hasn't been doing too great from what I've been told, so I'll be sure to check in today.

What makes you think this is chain-wide? I've had the 2 Hastings closest to me close in the past few years, but I think those were on a store-by-store basis.

78501 = McAllen, TX = The Valley = Monterrey rich people spending money like crazy.

That used to be my Hastings. I am surprised they are closing. Sad.

[quote name='oasisboy']78501 = McAllen, TX = The Valley = Monterrey rich people spending money like crazy.

That used to be my Hastings. I am surprised they are closing. Sad.[/QUOTE]

are you from around this area? :) I haven't seen anything worth getting just yet so i'll be waiting a bit more for just a little bit more % off and I might get a few things. By the way, they still had a few mw2 le bundles and if those go on sale..boom! It would be a good deal lol They had alot of good strategy guides. Everything from gta iv to mw2 prestige edition guide for half off.

Is that the one near Dove/10th? I don't remember the streets entirely. There's a Gamestop near it, and a Barnes and Noble....

[quote name='Apushmataha']Thanks for the info. The Hastings here hasn't been doing too great from what I've been told, so I'll be sure to check in today.[/QUOTE]

Which one are you talking about?

The Norman one is always, always busy. The one in Yukon is always dead. But there are several in Oklahoma.

[quote name='Strell']Is that the one near Dove/10th? I don't remember the streets entirely. There's a Gamestop near it, and a Barnes and Noble....[/QUOTE]

Yes. Are you from around here? It's been packed the last 2 days and it is very hard to find a parking spot. I guess used cds, movies and books are the in thing or something because that is what's selling the most and games haven't really gone on sale for much but keep waiting..

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']I may have to check the Hastings in Conroe and see if anything's good there.[/QUOTE]

I go to that store. Post your findings please.

Althought there isn't any store in the eastside but that is still very bad news to very1. We might get 1 or 2 good deal game cuz a store is closing but what about in the future? I must agree Gohastings actually have decent price on used game vs Gamestop. I am just hopping they are making a better market plan on used game market. I hate Gamestop since that is only what we have on the Eastside. Their high price used game and low price trade in are bloodsuck ripe off.

Hastings closes stores every now and then, just regular course of business, nothing nationwide or anything, so I wouldn't get my hopes too high for anyone. All the Texas stores I go to have pretty good business as they stick to around 40 minutes outside any major cities so the suburbanites flock to them for rentals and buy for convenience.

Oh, I thought they'd gone under nation-wide. The Hastings in Rockford, IL closed like 8 years ago, where I used to live.

Pretty sure there aren't any in NYC...

EDIT: Or was that Media Play? I'm blanking, but I wanna say they both went under around the same time.

Hello fellow Normanite.

Yeah Yukon is the store that time forgot. You can find lots of dusty bargains there. Norman is really busy, but sadly since the remodel the prices have really gone up. It was nice of them to send me a 20% anything in the store coupon after the remodel. I used it on a ps3 when they were still 500 bucks.

I've scored so many deals there in the past. I got a full set of farscape when they were out of print and a my so called life dvd set when it was out of print too. Good finds.

Sorry to derail the post. I doubt the Norman store would go out of business and Yukon is really growing so I bet they are doing better than they used to. I'll have to have my brother check out Ponca City.

[quote name='4tygames']Which one are you talking about?

The Norman one is always, always busy. The one in Yukon is always dead. But there are several in Oklahoma.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Napegator']Hmm so there are more cags in the valley after all[/QUOTE]

Yes, just me so far. I haven't seen anyone from the valley on here yet..lol. Keep this going and update it if I don't with any sales or promotions. I know they're having sales like 60% off used movies, books and I think used cd's too. I'll post when I find out of more video game deals, accessories, consoles, etc. By the way, if you're looking to get a video game guide now is the time to as they're 50% off and are selling fast. gta iv, left 4 dead, cod mw2 regular and prestige edition guides and more are available. they also have cod mw2 le console bundles for the xbox 360 but @ regular price

ever since barnes n nobles opened on nolana n 10th they just took all the customers, that and the fact they stoped giving out free coffe a couple years ago.

ill check out the blurays once their closer to closing down

I was in McAllen for about a year. That was enough.

I'm being playful. Chill out. It's not a bad place all things considered.

its crazy how many people from the valley post here..i'll go check it out tomorrow, thanks for the heads up

LOL im currently In the valley as well and i never knew there was a hasting ill have to go check it out i just did another 2 get the 3rd for 1 dollar deal off there website so hmm now ill have to go see it

blu rays are on sale too but I think it's just on used blu rays either way i've purchased a few blu rays used before and they were in mint condition. remember, hasting's only takes back games, cds, movies and everything if they are complete. that's another reason why I liked buying there along with the friendly people and nice enviroment. I saw a sign for 20% off blu rays used 3 days ago so it might be the same now or it might be more than 20% so we'll see tomorrow; the start of a new week. ah yes!

[quote name='intoxicated662']are you from around this area? :) [/QUOTE]

I am from Matamoros = Mexican.

I grew up in the Valley but got out of there as soon I can and moved to Dallas to pursue my bachelor's degree at UNT in Denton. I was sick of all the clicks and shit in the valley. Ironically, my employer moved me to McAllen for 2 years then moved me back to the Dallas area (which is where I am right now). My wife is white and she hated how people in McAllen stared at her because there are few white people in the area.

Anyway, that's my story.

I'm also from the valley. My friend told me today about hastings closing. Never really shopped there, but still. I liked that store. Well I will be checking out what they have around wednesday because I should be studying for an exam right now, and tomorrow.

So far, everything is on a day to day basis and only the store manager will know the deals and she isn't about to say as she is tight lip. It's a good store and especially for hard to find games/movies, imports and rare stuff. I've dated a few white girls from this area as well and we would get stared at as well and all but oh well.

The Hastings in Ames, Iowa closed last October. I didn't even realized it had closed until I read this thread and checked when I drove by on my way to work.

Last 2 years the only good thing hastings was good for me was for dumping strategy guides, apart from that it was usually overpriced on everything, good store to browse but could always find stuff cheaper elsewhere.

Besides always failed to find the explanation on why some used games would be 19.99 and the same title could be 9.99?

Nice to see everyone from the 956 step up and show some unity! By the way, has anyone heard if the store on 10th has been sold to another business? Once it's cleared, you know someone's going to jump all over that spot since it's in the heart of McAllen. I just hope we get a better place once Hastings gets the boot. For a store that relies heavily on media sales, but can't compete with Amazon prices, it was just a matter of time....they lost my business a loooooong time ago

amazon isn't so great as many people make it seem. heck, no store is anymore for shopping for deals because they only price match the price. no one does offer the same deal as a competitor such as a buy 2 get 1 free promo or anything like that. everything's gotten lame but now with hasting's out the way, there isn't much of a choice either. best buy? gamecrazy? gamestop? that's about it really and even those stores don't offer crap of a good sale anymore. tru barely even has any games in stock. went yesterday to tru and they had a crap selection of 360 games and only about 11 ps3 games..us people in the 956 are unfortunate. anyways, called today and still no more sales..lol

wow! Never knew there were so many from the rgv in here, no wonder my local tarhets have been gettin raided earlier than usual. As for the whole "white" comments here, most ppl from mexico that shop here are usually whiter than the "white" ppl so you guys must live in some poorly lit areas. But to stay on topic anyone see discounts on any ps3's, I have an old 60gb but wouldn't mind a slim since I'm not sure how many months my launch system has left after hearing stories of yellow lights.

no deals on a ps3 slim as I just got mine the other day @ regular price but they are selling quickly. I didn't see any @ target, tru and best buy had a couple left and gamecrazy has the 160gb with uncharted for $399 though and gamestop is running low on them as well which is where I got mine at. Don't think hasting's will have any consoles on sale as they'd just ship everything not sold to their warehouse or corporate area and then they would sell the remaining items through their website. Sucks to see the store closing.

[quote name='Chrono180']Does anybody know if they are closing any stores in the Albuquerque area?[/QUOTE]

I was in both west side stores over the weekend and didn't see any signs of closure. I have always thought there are too many of them to last in Albuquerque... If I had to guess, I would think it would be the Montgomery location that will close.

[quote name='4tygames']Which one are you talking about?

The Norman one is always, always busy. The one in Yukon is always dead. But there are several in Oklahoma.[/QUOTE]

The one I'm talking about is the one in Stillwater. It had been OK for a while, but the Gamestop that came in in '03 has slowly been chipping away at their game business and there's a Best Buy coming into town soon, so I'm guessing their DVD/Blu Ray sales are going to drop a bit, too.

all I know, is that around 4pm thursday me and some friends will be hitting hastings to see what's up. I'm just hopping for some decently priced games.

[quote name='intoxicated662']no deals on a ps3 slim as I just got mine the other day @ regular price but they are selling quickly. I didn't see any @ target, tru and best buy had a couple left and gamecrazy has the 160gb with uncharted for $399 though and gamestop is running low on them as well which is where I got mine at. Don't think hasting's will have any consoles on sale as they'd just ship everything not sold to their warehouse or corporate area and then they would sell the remaining items through their website. Sucks to see the store closing.[/QUOTE]

thanx for the heads up, maybe i'll just by one off amazon and save the $24 on taxes. But thanx again.

i went to hastings today and its horrible, theres no specials at all. dvds for 8$ wtf isnt that regular price. used games just 20% off. ill be going back on the 11th , the last day its open, its really the only good day to shop at a closing store.

bread's done
Back