Hatchet Unrated DVD - 9.96 @ Wal-Mart YMMV

troy2007

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Hatchet is available at Wal-Mart (B&M) for $9.96, way under dvdpricesearch.com's low price of $16.40. I found this copy in Chicagoland, and confirmed with a friend from North Carolina that his store also has the deal.

Pretty decent flick--very underappreciated due to its limited release. For $10 for a new release, it's worth noting.

just out of curiosity (and i know it doesn't reflect what the in-store price is), but i checked the price of it on walmart.com....jesus christ, it's $24.27

that's okay...i'll be red-boxing it this weekend

$14.99 at Bestbuy packaged in a box with a keychain

HATCHET.jpg

[quote name='whoknows']So, is this movie worth it? I'm hesitant because horror movies are usually either enjoyable or terrible.[/QUOTE]

I guess there is some fun to be had in it but I watched it last night and it was pretty disappointing. Nothing really "old school" about it besides the effects, which were great by the way. No real story, bad acting and gets pretty redundant.

[quote name='whoknows']So, is this movie worth it? I'm hesitant because horror movies are usually either enjoyable or terrible.[/quote]

I dunno, you tell me:

Hatchet.gif

[quote name='TallGuyMe']I dunno, you tell me:

Hatchet.gif
[/QUOTE]

Owned. You start to wonder at what point does the woman stop feeling pain.

I also recommend The Tripper. David Arquette's directorial debut. Not half-bad, but don't expect much. The movie does kind of drag at some parts, but for a movie about a guy who kills people dressed up as Ronald Regan, pretty funny/enjoyable.

There's also some good kills.

[quote name='specialk']I redboxed it....we discussing the movie here? or just prices?[/quote]

just so u know. i heard that the redbox version isnt the directors cut. i also heard that a real lot was cut out.

For me, I don't think extra cuts would've made me feel much more different about it. I think I was just expecting more, which is my fault.

[quote name='aboveaveragewes']I guess there is some fun to be had in it but I watched it last night and it was pretty disappointing. Nothing really "old school" about it besides the effects, which were great by the way. No real story, bad acting and gets pretty redundant.[/quote]

I think thats exactly what made it an oldschool throwback. If you're into stuff like Friday the 13th, Sleepaway Camp, The Burning, all the cheesy slasher flicks from the early 80s, you'll probably enjoy this.

I'd actually love to see what they could do with a bigger budget and some better writers, IMO Victor Crowly could end up being a badass horror icon.

Hatchet (unrated director's cut) - 2/5

This movie plays more like a Troma production than something legitimately terrifying, which I will assume is intentional given that the cast consists of two alums from 'Office Space', Jason Voorhees, the Candyman, Freddy Krueger, Bill Murray's younger brother, and the guy that played Kenny AKA "Bud" on the Cosby show. No, none of these master thespians could save this film from the 3rd rate production that it truly is. Sure, there are some pretty cool old school (ie: no CGI) special effects of gore and guts, but not once is this movie frightening or at all particularly riveting. I did like the courage to cast a male lead that looks more like Shaggy than some Abercrombie model, but unfortunately he couldn't act his way out of a bloody paper bag, thus adding to my overall disappointment. Touted as an homage and return to the late 70's-early 80's cheesy slasher flicks, I suppose it somewhat succeeds, but my hope was it would be able to transcend to something a bit more. Sort of like what 'Shaun of the Dead' managed to accomplish for the Zombie genre. Alas, no... 'Hatchet' falls short. Despite some excellent head-twisting, the wooden acting, awful direction, cheap looking sets and a bad guy that looks more like Sloth from 'The Goonies' than an intimidating psychopath all adds up to a rather ho-hum affair.

news-823.jpg

http://www.dvdspot.com/dvd.php?d=1822334095

I recently just watched "Hatchet" and "Wrong Turn 2" back to back, and I gotta say Wrong Turn 2 is a much better horror movie. I highly recommend checking it out if you're looking for something that's actually made well. Despite the fact that it's essentially just "The Hills Have Eyes" in the West Virginia woods, it manages to be quite original. Plus it gets points for having a kick ass Henry Rollins playing an ex-marine.
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/905

Just price matched the 2-disc exclusive set I picked up at Circuit City, which includes the theatrical version on 1 disc and the unrated version on the other disc, for $9.99 with this week's BB ad.

bread's done
Back