Hate Map Tries to Identify Hate Hot Spots Using Twitter.

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!
I thought this was interesting. Maybe not a Vs. topic but a little bit controversial so I put it here. I will provide the link to the map and its description.

http://users.humboldt.edu/mstephens/hate/hate_map.html#

The Geography of Hate is part of a larger project by Dr. Monica Stephens of Humboldt State University (HSU) identifying the geographic origins of online hate speech. Undergraduate students Amelia Egle, Matthew Eiben and Miles Ross, worked to produce the data and this map as part of Dr. Stephens' Advanced Cartography course at Humboldt State University.

The data behind this map is based on every geocoded tweet in the United States from June 2012 - April 2013 containing one of the 'hate words'. This equated to over 150,000 tweets and was drawn from the DOLLY project based at the University of Kentucky. Because algorithmic sentiment analysis would automatically classify any tweet containing 'hate words' as "negative," this project relied upon the HSU students to read the entirety of tweet and classify it as positive, neutral or negative based on a predefined rubric. Only those tweets that were identified by human readers as negative were used in this analysis.

To produce the map all tweets containing each 'hate word' were aggregated to the county level and normalized by the total twitter traffic in each county. Counties were reduced to their centroids and assigned a weight derived from this normalization process. This was used to generate a heat map that demonstrates the variability in the frequency of hateful tweets relative to all tweets over space. Where there is a larger proportion of negative tweets referencing a particular 'hate word' the region appears red on the map, where the proportion is moderate, the word was used less (although still more than the national average) and appears a pale blue on the map. Areas without shading indicate places that have a lower proportion of negative tweets relative to the national average.

The numbers that appear in the map during a mouse hover indicate the total number of hateful tweets and number of unique users sending them in each county.

Read more about the research and methods behind this project at www.FloatingSheep.org.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Damn, not that I'm surprised, but that's a big ass $$$$erblob on the east side of the country.[/QUOTE]

LOLZ...took me a few seconds to figure out what word CAG censored. Still a hilarious comment though.

Personally, I want to know why "queer" got more hits than "f*g." Are there more old people on twitter than young? Who the hell says "queer" in a hateful way anymore?

Neat idea, but I wonder how accurate the studens were in determining the intent behind the tweets.

In particular, the difference between "hate" and "ignorance". Granted, the two often intertwine, but I feel there is a significant portion of people who use some of these "hate words" without really knowing they're hateful. Heck, I didn't even recognize one of the words... outside of half the name of a cleaning product (which, now, I wonder if they still make...)

Oh interesting.. I agree on UncleBobs idea. These statistics aren't very accurate as they don't specify a person's true intentions upon their words. I mean I can say hate words with my brother for jokes (not online), but hell I don't really believe what I would say.

How I see it, it's a statistic that merely displays a one-sided analysis of people's choice of words, on the internet, specifically twitter. (Which I don't even use).

For a second I thought this 'hate map' was a depiction of people talking against politics/politicians, which I'm sure such a map exists as people of the gov't are constantly redeveloping this complicated web of algorithms and whatnot to see who is related to who and what intentions they may have. 21st century, so so odd.

[quote name='d0ren']Oh interesting.. I agree on UncleBobs idea. These statistics aren't very accurate as they don't specify a person's true intentions upon their words. I mean I can say hate words with my brother for jokes (not online), but hell I don't really believe what I would say.

How I see it, it's a statistic that merely displays a one-sided analysis of people's choice of words, on the internet, specifically twitter. (Which I don't even use).

For a second I thought this 'hate map' was a depiction of people talking against politics/politicians, which I'm sure such a map exists as people of the gov't are constantly redeveloping this complicated web of algorithms and whatnot to see who is related to who and what intentions they may have. 21st century, so so odd.[/QUOTE]

The methods section states all tweets were read by a person to determine intent.

It is basically the difference between someone calling someone a queer or I hate all queers and making the statement that you cannot believe people still use the qord queer.

Not that surprised. $$$$er is prevalent in the south and wetback is used a lot in Texas, no surprise there. I will say this though, as much as this state embarrasses me sometimes, at least it isn't Virginia.

Oh wow really? Man that is sad sad sad.
Also on another note, I heard people still practice segregation on some trains in Louisiana.

[quote name='cancerman1120']The methods section states all tweets were read by a person to determine intent.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, though, it's not always easy to determine intent just by reading 140 characters.

I'm sure this map is well-enough as a conversation piece though. I can't imagine there's too many people that would tweet something like "Man, I hate gay people" and mean "Man, I hate happy people."

Did this "study" receive any tax payer money? If so, who can justify that crap even if we weren't borrowing 46% of every dollar spent?

What you expect, many politicians are a hypocrite in this country; the foundation of their politics.
I remember hearing on the radio that when the Republicans were criticizing Obama on giving X amount of dollars for green technology, they didn't mention or say anything bad toward the subsidies we give to companies like Blue Diamond which is a company that sells almonds and the sort.
So much hypocracy

I feel like the use of the word cripple might not be hate speech. Cripple is still a perfectly valid way to refer to people with disabilities. I mean, when's the last time you heard something along the lines of "damn this country would be in so much better shape if we didn't have so many cripples fucking it up"?

[quote name='egofed']Did this "study" receive any tax payer money? If so, who can justify that crap even if we weren't borrowing 46% of every dollar spent?[/QUOTE]

Define "any."

I can't wait for maximum herpitude on this one.

I see they had "towel head." It would have been interesting to see all derogatory comments on Muslims. Probably hard to capture that when you'd have to count phrases like "fucking Muslims," and "let's nuke them all yeeee-hawwww." I'm sure Islamophobia would rank highest.

Ваш отдых летом придаст заряд организму на весь год. Более детально ознакомиться можно тут: sergeevka.in.ua. Для детей есть системы скидок.

[quote name='cancerman1120']The methods section states all tweets were read by a person to determine intent.
[/QUOTE]

Oh good. I was wondering about that. I've seen friends tweet stuff like "as a big queer myself, I love caramel macchiators" or whatever. Clearly that isn't a hate tweet.

[quote name='UncleBob']The thing is, though, it's not always easy to determine intent just by reading 140 characters.
[/QUOTE]

It's not that hard either. You might make a mistake on 1 out of 100. But that hardly skews data.

bread's done
Back