Hauppauge HD PVR 2 1512 5.1 audio with gaming headset?

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!
I just bought the 1512 model (Amazon sale). I currently own the original HD PVR which has served me well. The original HD PVR had optical in AND out so that I could send my Xbox 360 audio to the Hauppauge to be recorded but also allowed me to hear 5.1 audio through my headset or AVR when I was playing games.
Is there some way to do this with the new 1512? There's only an optical in on the back. So I'm trying to plan ahead of how to do this.

If I can record 5.1 audio over HDMI and then pipe the optical from the 360 to my headset, that would be great but has anyone done that?

This could be a dealbreaker, but I guess I don't have many options out there since I don't see optical in/out on any of the affordable HDMI recorders. I just don't want to go back to stereo gaming.

And does anyone know if there are going to be a next-gen group of recorders? Lots of 1080p60 games coming out for Xbox One but no 60 fps recorders around. I don't want to have to debate between recording in 720p60 or 1080p30. I know Youtube caps at 30 fps but I love 60 fps recordings (especially for personal archives). And maybe in the future, Youtube will allow 60 fps playback.

bread's done
Back