Have to write a 8-10 page essay on George Orwell's 1984

Banshee350

Banned
I have to write this paper for my English class. I was just wondering if anyone has read this? And if so, what would be a good topic to write the paper on. It needs to be a topic where I can actually write at least 8 pages on. There are really no guidelines for the essay, just it has to involve the book.

[quote name='jaykrue']Compare it to current events in the world today. That's an easy 10 pages right there.[/QUOTE]
Thats what I was thinking about doing. Comparing it to how, because of terror threats, we lose freedoms in exchange for security from our government...Or something of that nature.

Seriously...there are so many topics you can write on in this book. Once you read it, you won't have a problem.

Do something with Newspeak. That'll be fun.

I read 1984 in may

I think it was based on 1948 and what 1984 would be like

you could write the paper about so many things

I could give you a thousand things to write about on it, but my best advice to you is to read it and wait for something to grab you. Sometimes you'll spot one detail that sticks out in your mind. These tiny things can end up being the basis for a great paper because you have an active interest in it. There's so much in 1984, that you should be able to find something that intrigues you. A paper should really be about exploring something in the text that you personally find interesting.

you have an easy job ahead of you. just write about totalitarianism, and compare it to the red scare that was happening around the time it was written. also compare and contrast it to current events that are leading us towards a big brother civilization, the patriot act for example.

easy enough.

College or high school?

If its college you could probably get away with writing on the repressed sexuality.

Maybe compared to the fundies of today and yore.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Write a paper on discussing how long propaganda and paranoia can be used to herd humans on mass.[/QUOTE]

You mean "en mass?" ;)

Thanks for the suggestions guys...Really helped me alot and gave me alot of ideas to write on. I am surprised so many people have read this book.

The paper is for my college english 2 class.

Read it, for God's sake man!

Doublespeak - Like the "Department of Defense"...
The "War" - Like the one we always have against some way off foreign country...

Many ideas.

[quote name='Banshee350']Thanks for the suggestions guys...Really helped me alot and gave me alot of ideas to write on. I am surprised so many people have read this book.

The paper is for my college english 2 class.[/QUOTE]

Really? Cause I usually figure that if you haven't read 1984 you probably didn't go to high school. I pretty much expect people to have read it.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Really? Cause I usually figure that if you haven't read 1984 you probably didn't go to high school. I pretty much expect people to have read it.[/QUOTE]
We read Crime and Punishment instead of 1984. Then we had choice on the other major books that we read. I just got 1984 today and have read the sparknotes on it, just not the actual book yet. My topic is due tomorrow...that is why I needed some help. I have a pretty good idea about the book, but I dont think I will be able to finish the book today..as I am only 70 pages in.

Your thesis should be along these lines:

George Or Well's novel "1985" should have been called "Funky Monkey Land", because it more closely represents the contribution of beef jerky to the main character's rapid moral tooth decay. Besides, monkeys are fun to write about. In fact, the rest of this essay will focus on monkeys and their contributions to science and contemporary art.

[quote name='Banshee350']We read Crime and Punishment instead of 1984. Then we had choice on the other major books that we read. I just got 1984 today and have read the sparknotes on it, just not the actual book yet. My topic is due tomorrow...that is why I needed some help. I have a pretty good idea about the book, but I dont think I will be able to finish the book today..as I am only 70 pages in.[/QUOTE]

It's gonna be a late night in Banshee town! :lol: Good luck

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']It's gonna be a late night in Banshee town! :lol: Good luck[/QUOTE]
Yes it is...and I dont like reading at all...I would rather be doing anything else. :(

I think I will use varsitygamer's idea though....seeing as how that would be pretty easy to get 8-10 pages on. Thanks for all your input guys.

-I should write it on monkeys :p lol

[quote name='Banshee350']Yes it is...and I dont like reading at all...I would rather be doing anything else. :(

I think I will use varsitygamer's idea though....seeing as how that would be pretty easy to get 8-10 pages on. Thanks for all your input guys.

-I should write it on monkeys :p lol[/QUOTE]

On a semi-related note, I once wrote an economics paper in high school subtitled "How to skin a skinless yak." I got an A :lol:

bread's done
Back