Have you been scammed on Ebay?

phreak5k

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Hi, I just got scammed on ebay. I was not paying attention when I was reading the paypal email I received from my bidder. They said they were from Paypal but were actually from accountat.com. Now the Package (an xbox 360) is on its way to Nigeria. The person claimed to be in the armed forces in Iraq and was mailing it to her sweetheart who works as a visa agent or something in Nigeria. Do you have any suggestions for a CAG who isn't only out an xbox 360 but $108 in shipping charges?

ok.......
shipping to Nigeria wasn't big enough of a hint that this was a scam?
ahhh.....
There is nothing you can do. At least nothing I can think of that will fix this situation (You can fly to Nigeria and shoot that guy, but you won't get your xbox/money back).

maybe you should post to the forum below.
http://www.419eater.com/

I'm not clear on what you are saying. Is the Xbox 360 yours and you have sent it to Nigeria, or did you won the 360 from an auction?

[quote name='Plac1d']I'm not clear on what you are saying. Is the Xbox 360 yours and you have sent it to Nigeria, or did you won the 360 from an auction?[/QUOTE]

the op stated that he got a "paypal email ...from ...bidder." so that implies that the op sold the xbox360

[quote name='phreak5k']Hi, I just got scammed on ebay. I was not paying attention when I was reading the paypal email I received from my bidder. They said they were from Paypal but were actually from accountat.com. Now the Package (an xbox 360) is on its way to Nigeria. The person claimed to be in the armed forces in Iraq and was mailing it to her sweetheart who works as a visa agent or something in Nigeria. Do you have any suggestions for a CAG who isn't only out an xbox 360 but $108 in shipping charges?[/QUOTE]
That sucks. Did you try contacting Paypal or eBay?

I have contacted eBay but since the user did not actually use paypal from what I can tell, they cannot do much. But I did do a request money form with them anyway. I will also be filling out an intercept package form at my local post office to try to get the package returned before delivery.

Wow there are still people who fall for this?..I hope you get your item back, but its a long shot since you sent it to another country via the postal system?? Maybe if you used FedEx you can ask them to return the package.

[quote name='magictoilet']where did you get that? the $108 was for shipping.[/quote]

The ambient stupidity was affecting my reading comprehension. :lol:

Only suggestion to the OP; :cry:,:cry:,:cry:, as that's the only thing you can do at this point. It sucks but all you can do is learn from this experiance and move on. This is why I state every auction as Continental US bidders only.

I dont get it. So you got an email that said you were paid, and you sent it? To Nigeria? I'm curious to know if the fake email even uses proper grammar.

[quote name='wbc1228']
There is nothing you can do. At least nothing I can think of that will fix this situation (You can fly to Nigeria and shoot that guy, but you won't get your xbox/money back).
[/QUOTE]

I laughed when I read that

[quote name='nodoubt']i call bs on this[/QUOTE]

why?
It is not like the op is trying to gain anything from this ordeal (by getting people to donate money to him, getting people to visit his website so he can generate ad revenue, etc.).
Of course the Nigeria scams exist. Most people won't fall for it (sorry op, didn't mean to make a low blow), but it occurs enough times to keep these guys in business (I know.. I know... it is not really a business and it cost these scammers next to nothing to scam people, just access to a free email account online from a cybercafe.)
The op was just naive. These things happen in life, just learn from the mistake and move on.

I already mentioned this in my previous post, but the site below is hilarious (people trying to scam the scammers).
http://www.419eater.com/

i just can't believe anyone would not know about nigerian scams by now. and to ship it before getting the money for sure?? (at least thats what i thought the op said). if this is for real, i feel sorry for the op then

I was just quick to judge the authenticity of the email. In my Gmail account the From heading was "Payment@ paypal.com" and the email itself was a direct copy of the emails that Paypal does send out. I've already contacted USPS and am trying to see if I can get it rerouted back to me for some more charges. The ebay item number is 150017268445. Aslo, like wbc1228 said, this is not bs. This has happened to me because I was careless and I accept it. I'm not asking for any money from anyone, I'm just trying to lose as little as possible.[FONT=arial,sans-serif][/FONT]

Rules of Ebay...
1. Never send to Nigeria...
2. Log into paypal and get addresses from there..spoof emails happen all the time.
3. Never send to Nigeria

I wouldve been surprised that someone actually paid $400(plus shipping) for a 360 when you can buy it from a retail store for the same.

I got scammed, kind of. I bid on a "mystery auction" which said, you will get two PS1 games, among which are Lunar, Grandia, Suikoden II, Valkyrie Profile, etc., and even if you don't get a rare one, they will come complete and they will be worth at least the $8 you paid. What I got were two games that are so worthless I can't even trade them in to Gamecrazy. I do some reading, find out this kind of auction is illegal, and report it. It gets closed down, but not before I leave a neutral, and he leaves me a negative. He gets my feedback removed for some reason (though his account got closed soon after).. and mine still stands.

bread's done
Back