Have you ever been refused service at Wherehouse?

Randomthts

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Today I walked into my local Wherehouse store with a small box of games to find out how much they were worth in store credit so I could decide if I would trade them in or return the to CC. When I got up to the counter, the clerk two all of two seconds to look at my games then told me he refused to serve me. I asked him to repeat himself because I couldn't believe what he just said and he told me they reserve the right to refused service to anyone and pointed out a sign in front of the register by turning it around so I couldn't read it. When I asked him why he refused to assist me he wouldn't reply. I would be perfectly fine with we have too many used titles or anything along those lines but he completely refused to even check the value of the games for store credit. I was pretty ticked off at this point but I didn't argue and just left. Has this happened to anyone else?

Then I called another store which is about 45 minutes away from I live and asked if they accepted trade ins. The employee that answered the line was very nice and told me they accept PS2, Xbox and GC games; so I told him I would be there shortly. The funny thing at this store was as I was dealing with one employee to determine the value of the games which at that point they were going to accept, another employee ran to the back of the store then came back and told me they couldn't accept any trades at this time because they were overstocked.

Has anyone else in San Diego or anywhere else had these issues?

Maybe he said it because he was a lazy shaq-fuing bastard, and his store also wasn't accepting trade-ins because they were overstocked. Just a guess. Seems pretty shitty of the guy, though.

I think thats a pretty SHAQ-FUing policy for a store to have.
"he told me they reserve the right to refused service to anyone and pointed out a sign in front of the register" Thats ridiculous!
I would have to talk to the manager. At the very least he could have just said they were not taking trades or something, but to hide behind some stupid policy... what a SHAQ-FUing dumbass.

I'd track down the district manager and relate the story to that person. It may take a bit of effort to get this out of the corporate offices but the DM hassling the store manager is much more likely to make life hard on the person you encountered. Shit flows downhill.

So you drove 45mins away for nothing? I would've checked with them over the phone before driving there for nothing especially with gas prices being so high.

Did they happen to be a bunch of BB/CC/TRU $5 clearance titles? I know a lot of people bought stuff from those sales exclusively to trade in for more credit value than they paid for the titles. Some of these stores may be wise to those tactics and putting the hammer down.

[quote name='epobirs']I'd track down the district manager and relate the story to that person. It may take a bit of effort to get this out of the corporate offices but the DM hassling the store manager is much more likely to make life hard on the person you encountered. Shit flows downhill.[/quote]

I second that. Alot of the time store managers just blow complaints off, but if you take it to the district level they get a bit more twisted up about it.

Maybe they thought you stole the games, since I'm assuming they were sealed if you were thinking about taking them back to CC.

[quote name='Moray'][quote name='epobirs']I'd track down the district manager and relate the story to that person. It may take a bit of effort to get this out of the corporate offices but the DM hassling the store manager is much more likely to make life hard on the person you encountered. Shit flows downhill.[/quote]

I second that. Alot of the time store managers just blow complaints off, but if you take it to the district level they get a bit more twisted up about it.[/quote]

I agree with telling the district level about this, but I don't think they'll give two shits about it really.

[quote name='gokou36']So you drove 45mins away for nothing? I would've checked with them over the phone before driving there for nothing especially with gas prices being so high.[/quote]

I did check with them first. I called and asked if they accepted trades ins and the employee told me they accepted PS2/Xbox/GC titles. I would think if they were overstocked and weren't taking any trades ins I would have been told at this point. I thanked the person I spoke with and told him I'd be there shortly.

I'm afraid I had something similar.
I went to CD Wherehouse one day just to check the credit values of my games. "Cute" 400Lb girl told me "We are running special right now: Trade 3 get any free " I said:" Great I'll go back to my car and bring my games”.....After I came back (it took me about 2 min maximum) she was Gone. There was another guy at the counter. I put my games and tell him "I heard from the girl about trading 3 get 1 free" He is like: "I have no idea what are you talking about" I realized, they switched intentionally and changed the subject. “I would like to use my FYE credit here I know you are the same company and I can use it here, can I? He is like: “Nope we are different companies and we do not accept FYE credit and never did." :shock: I thought I was in Twilight Zone. I took out my PDA and asked him nicely "Can you please spell you first and your last name for me and your manager’s name. I also would like to know the store # ...I'll keep it short. I traded 3 for 1 and used my FYE credit there in 4 minutes.

They can kiss my Russian cheapass. F :censored: S

[quote name='masha']I'm afraid I had something similar.
I went to CD Wherehouse one day just to check the credit values of my games. "Cute" 400Lb girl told me "We are running special right now: Trade 3 get any free " I said:" Great I'll go back to my car and bring my games”.....After I came back (it took me about 2 min maximum) she was Gone. There was another guy at the counter. I put my games and tell him "I heard from the girl about trading 3 get 1 free" He is like: "I have no idea what are you talking about" I realized, they switched intentionally and changed the subject. “I would like to use my FYE credit here I know you are the same company and I can use it here, can I? He is like: “Nope we are different companies and we do not accept FYE credit and never did." :shock: I thought I was in Twilight Zone. I took out my PDA and asked him nicely "Can you please spell you first and your last name for me and your manager’s name. I also would like to know the store # ...I'll keep it short. I traded 3 for 1 and used my FYE credit there in 4 minutes.

They can kiss my Russian cheapass. F :censored: S[/quote] :rofl: Man, that is some good stuff. :applause:

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Did they happen to be a bunch of BB/CC/TRU $5 clearance titles? I know a lot of people bought stuff from those sales exclusively to trade in for more credit value than they paid for the titles. Some of these stores may be wise to those tactics and putting the hammer down.[/quote]

Most of the titles were from the CC sale. And that's fine if they were no longer accepting trade ins for what ever reason, they problem I had was his refusal to assist me for no reason and the second store not telling me they weren't accepting trade ins when I called in to ask.

My first thought was the employee thought the games were stolen, my second thought was could it be how I looked? I'm not sure what to think.

I did get the name and number of the store manager of the first store I went to where I was refused service and the name and number of the district manager. I also sent an email to corporate asing for a phone # to file a complaint but didn't go into detail. I intend to speak to the store manager first and I hope to resolve the issue there. I also intend to write to corporate and tell them my thoughts about how I was treated.

I took out my PDA and asked him nicely "Can you please spell you first and your last name for me and your manager’s name. I also would like to know the store # ...I'll keep it short. I traded 3 for 1 and used my FYE credit there in 4 minutes.

That's awesome Masha, nice job. I figured while I was there I could prove the titles weren't stolen, but I wasn't sure if that was the reason he refused service. If stolen titles weren't his reason for refusing service I figured any other issue wasn't worth the scene it would cause.

I have never tried it but I have seen several people try to trade in sealed games locally at gamestop and EB, both stores turned them away. They would not take them because they were sealed (new).

I would expect that most stores that take tradeins would have that type of policy... but like I said I have never tried it, only seen it happen. Of course some just went out to their car and opened everything up then came right back in...lol.

[quote name='Randomthts']
That's awesome Masha, nice job. I figured while I was there I could prove the titles weren't stolen, but I wasn't sure if that was the reason he refused service. If stolen titles weren't his reason for refusing service I figured any other issue wasn't worth the scene it would cause.[/quote]

What ticked off me is when he refused to take my FYE credit. I did not make a scene I was speaking pure Russian to him, he listened, and they all did.

I'm sorry you had to go through this, but people are people everywhere, good and bad and we have to deal with them everyday. I stopped paying attention to these things. I'm sure they thought you stole those games, but they will never figure out how I found today complete, mint Zelda: The Wind Walker for $5.

Good Luck dealing with them keep us posted.

What ticked off me is when he refused to take my FYE credit. I did not make a scene I was speaking pure Russian to him, he listened, and they all did.

Nice, too bad this isn't an option for me and spanish isn't as rare.

I'm sorry you had to go through this, but people are people everywhere, good and bad and we have to deal with them everyday. I stopped paying attention to these things. I'm sure they thought you stole those games, but they will never figure out how I found today complete, mint Zelda: The Wind Walker for $5.

Good Luck dealing with them keep us posted.

Will do, I should speak to the store manager on Monday morning.

[quote name='thesilentshadow30']I have never tried it but I have seen several people try to trade in sealed games locally at gamestop and EB, both stores turned them away. They would not take them because they were sealed (new).

I would expect that most stores that take tradeins would have that type of policy... but like I said I have never tried it, only seen it happen. Of course some just went out to their car and opened everything up then came right back in...lol.[/quote]

I personaly never had any problems trading sealed games at EB or GS or any other store. I don't have so many used games :D . I move them from one store to another factory sealed.I don't have time to open them. On the other side they always have an option to sell them like NEW.
Wnen I trade for the first time at a new store I always have my ID out , they see ID first before they see my games. You give them what they want before they even think about it .

bread's done
Back