Have you ever been surprised by your "non-gamer" friends or family?

Nibi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just the other day I was visiting my older sister, whom I perceive as very chic and stylish, and I learned that she is part of a WoW guild. My jaw dropped.

Which brings me to several years ago when one night I woke up to get some water and found my mom playing the original Legend of Zelda at 3AM. I shuffled back to bed confused. The following morning she proudly proclaimed that she beat Zelda! She has since embraced other "geekier" tendencies, such as watching Battlestar Galactica.

So have any of your friends or family ever surprised you?

When you get to be a little older I will tell you what your mom was REALLY doing at 3AM before she heard you get out of bed and grabbed the NES controller. And just what that noise in the closet was too.

[quote name='leveskikesko']I'm just surprised that there is such a thing as a non-gamer.

I mean at least for people that are at least lower middle class.....[/QUOTE]

I like how you think that gaming is low class.

[quote name='musha666']When you get to be a little older I will tell you what your mom was REALLY doing at 3AM before she heard you get out of bed and grabbed the NES controller. And just what that noise in the closet was too.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Liquid 2']I like how you think that gaming is low class.[/QUOTE]

I think he meant lower middle class and up. He is surprised that people of lower middle class and up are non gamers.

yes, when my bro asked "so can I play this on the Wii?" when we were playing Rock Band for the 360. I had to start from scratch, explaining systems, games, how games could only work on the systems they're made for. :lol: Of course, it was a legit question for someone who knows nothing about this stuff.

I was surprised at my mothers complete and utter lack of skills when back in 1984 or so when we all tried to have a game of River Raid together. At least 10 times in a row, she instantly slammed her plane into the right wall, like from the instant the game started, she would careen right, smack into the wall and die. She never tried to play River Raid, or any game for that matter again.

I think it scarred her for life too. To this day, she is afraid of computers, refuses to use email, even though it would be awesome to be able to email her as we are in different states.

Not that I can remember. My parents hate video games, and my dad has only played one game before, and thats Hot Shots Golf 3. He was horrible.

As for my friends, I don't think I have a single friend that doesn't play games. God, I need to meet some new people.

My step-dad's a big car buff. The first time he picked up a game controller, it was Destruction Derby 2 for PSone. He won a demo derby, riding backwards with a broken wheel. It was awesome.

I since got him and my mom a Wii, and they lead me to believe they like it -- including, of course, some racing games.

[quote name='scsg75']I was surprised at my mothers complete and utter lack of skills when back in 1984 or so when we all tried to have a game of River Raid together. At least 10 times in a row, she instantly slammed her plane into the right wall, like from the instant the game started, she would careen right, smack into the wall and die. She never tried to play River Raid, or any game for that matter again.

I think it scarred her for life too. To this day, she is afraid of computers, refuses to use email, even though it would be awesome to be able to email her as we are in different states.[/quote]

Hahaha what's up with parents? My dad only ever played one game with me: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! He played probably ten fights in his career. In nine of them he was beaten by Glass Joe. In the other one he squeaked by Joe and was immediately demolished by Piston Honda. I think it's just beyond that generation (he's 64 now, for reference)

[quote name='TahoeMax']Hahaha what's up with parents? My dad only ever played one game with me: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! He played probably ten fights in his career. In nine of them he was beaten by Glass Joe. In the other one he squeaked by Joe and was immediately demolished by Piston Honda. I think it's just beyond that generation (he's 64 now, for reference)[/QUOTE]

What happened to Von Kaiser? (wasn't he between GJ and PH?)

Must be a generational thing. My dad also only played 1 game, Mrs. Pac Man on the Atari 2600. The difference was that he was very good at the game. For about 2 years straght, he'd play the game for 40 minutes before going to work (he worked afternoon's). Then, the detached the Atari from the tv because company was coming over, and he didn't play it for 2 years. I hooked it back up to play, and he put another year or so of everyday play into the game. But, he won't play another game. I tried on many occasions to get him to try another game, but he won't do it.

Other than that, not really. I was surprised when my uncle started gaming in his 50's. It was during the end of the 16bit, start of the Playstation/Saturn/N64 era. He bought an NES. He played the Mario games and Metroid. Eventually, he got a SNES so he could play Super Mario World. He talked of getting a N64 to play Mario 64, but not sure if he ever did. Just happily living about 2 generations behind.

I was pretty surprised to know that my GF, her two sisters and mom and dad all played Unreal Tournament together every weekend when she was younger.

I was really surprised to find my dad playing COD4 one day. He never was interested in video games at all, but he's a war buff so I guess that might' have peaqued his interest.

Funny story that just happened the other day: I was talking to a non-gaming co-worker (who is an ex-army soldier) and he mentioned that his 11-yr old son wanted the new GTA IV game, and how he didn't know much about games but had heard it was ultra-violent. I basically told him a little about the game, and informed him that no, it was not a game for a 11-yr old to play. He asked me if I play alot of games like GTA. And I said "Not really. I play alot of RPG-type games." And he just kinda looked at me for a second and then asked: "Rocket Propelled Grenade games?"

[quote name='Krymner'] And I said "Not really. I play alot of RPG-type games." And he just kinda looked at me for a second and then asked: "Rocket Propelled Grenade games?"[/QUOTE]

:lol: Being former military, I got a chuckle out this.

Most everyone I know is into gaming in some way. My soon to be ex-wife is only slightly into games. She likes fighting and racing games. Though she really sticks to old school stuff like pole position and galaga. Damn can she wax the floor with me in galaga. :razz:

My girlfriend is exactly like that. I finally got her to play Xmen Legends with me (an experience that totally killed the game for me) after ages of trying to get her to play something. I figured it was simple enough. You move with the stick and hurt people with the buttons. We get to a bridge and I tell her to be careful because if we fall off we die. I walk across and wait for her. She walks her character and subsequentially the 2 CPU characters right off the side within 2 seconds.

I sat there dumbfounded as to how she did this not once, but thrice and all she could do was ask me where her blue laser guy went.

I shut the 360 off and never played the game again.

[quote name='scsg75']I was surprised at my mothers complete and utter lack of skills when back in 1984 or so when we all tried to have a game of River Raid together. At least 10 times in a row, she instantly slammed her plane into the right wall, like from the instant the game started, she would careen right, smack into the wall and die. She never tried to play River Raid, or any game for that matter again.
[/quote]

My parents have never been into gaming. My dad's extent was playing Super Mario Bros. with me and my brothers when I was 4 or 5. My mom had never played a video game until she saw me playing Brain Age one day. She tried it and loved it. I bought her a DS and Brain Age 2 for Christmas and she plays it almost every day. It's not your typical video game, but at least I got her to not view all video games as wastes of time.

I'm constantly amazed by the neighbour kid's ability to kill me in Mario Galaxy. At age 5, I was getting to the second last boss in Golden Axe, not making Mario jump into Bullet Bills.

I must be fair, though, she's never really played videogames before. I think there's a language barrier. I'm not entirely sure she associates the big thing on the front of the Wii controller with a "button". I'm even less sure that she knows what it means to "hold it down".

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like you're not punching her every time she does it wrong.

[quote name='The Crotch']I'm constantly amazed by the neighbour kid's ability to kill me in Mario Galaxy. At age 5, I was getting to the second last boss in Golden Axe, not making Mario jump into Bullet Bills.

I must be fair, though, she's never really played videogames before. I think there's a language barrier. I'm not entirely sure she associates the big thing on the front of the Wii controller with a "button". I'm even less sure that she knows what it means to "hold it down".[/quote]

My mom used to have that problem and I'd laugh... Then the bitch got pans. :hot:

[quote name='The Crotch']I think I'd break my hand.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']My girlfriend is exactly like that. I finally got her to play Xmen Legends with me (an experience that totally killed the game for me) after ages of trying to get her to play something. I figured it was simple enough. You move with the stick and hurt people with the buttons. We get to a bridge and I tell her to be careful because if we fall off we die. I walk across and wait for her. She walks her character and subsequentially the 2 CPU characters right off the side within 2 seconds.

I sat there dumbfounded as to how she did this not once, but thrice and all she could do was ask me where her blue laser guy went.

I shut the 360 off and never played the game again.[/quote]

:rofl:

Thats terrible.

My mom used to be half decent on the old platformers on the NES/SNES.
But the addition of a third dimension and the analog stick killed the hobby for her.

My dad is terrible at games. He just seems to not get it and doesn't really care for them.

One day me and my brother come home from school and my dad has completely beaten Goldeneye, from start to finish, all in a day. Once he did this we got to play multiplayer with him, and it always seemed to rotate between the three of us which would win.
He really can't play games anymore though, it just seemed to be this brief period of a couple of months. We tried playing with him a year later and he was awful, he barely knew what to do. For those few months though, we were really close to him and it was pretty sweet.

My dad got me started with an NES and he bought himself the original Game Boy brick, and we played games as a family every now and then when I was like....6 years old. Tetris and Super Mario Bros. and such. Basically since then, my mom and dad have rarely touched a game, and my sister usually only does when we're playing at a friend's house.

And it is only recently, since my purchase of a Wii, that my dad has showed an interest in games again. We've played Golf and Bowling quite a bit (we still only have one remote), and he was eyeballing Tiger Woods 08 in Circuit City today. My sister has played a bit too, but my mom has yet to show any interest.

As for friends, most of them don't play games at the same level as I do, except one of my college roommates and like two friends from home.

[quote name='Kayden']My girlfriend is exactly like that. I finally got her to play Xmen Legends with me (an experience that totally killed the game for me) after ages of trying to get her to play something. I figured it was simple enough. You move with the stick and hurt people with the buttons. We get to a bridge and I tell her to be careful because if we fall off we die. I walk across and wait for her. She walks her character and subsequentially the 2 CPU characters right off the side within 2 seconds.

I shut the 360 off and never played the game again.[/QUOTE]

I'm just confused why you shut off a 360 while playing X-Men Legends, who was playing the 360?

Coulda been normal Xbox, coulda been Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Its a trivial detail.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I'm just confused why you shut off a 360 while playing X-Men Legends, who was playing the 360?[/quote]

bread's done
Back