Having a weird display issue with my new PC

Prota

CAGiversary!
Hello everyone. I just recently finished building a PC (with the helpful advice of some awesome CAGers) a few weeks ago, and it's been running great so far, but the one issue I have is that for some reason certain shades of orange and red show up as a very weird and sometimes fuzzy pink color. I have no idea what's causing the issue.

I don't have a monitor for the computer as I decided to just use my 32 inch Toshiba TV as one instead via HDMI. My TV hasn't given me any issues with colors before when watching cable, playing ps3, or using it as a display for my sister's laptop. I also tried multiple HDMI cables to make sure that wasn't the problem. I checked my TV's settings but didn't find anything that helped. so I'm worried about the problem stemming from hardware. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

If it helps, my motherboard is a EVGA Z68 FTW and my video card is a Radeon 6870 1GB.

Thank you for offering to help! I made sure the cables were connected properly, and tried different ones as well. Here's an example of the color distortion.

aksyspink.png

screenshot looks fine, what drivers did you install? it still could be several things.

Id imagine you may have installed the drivers that came on a cd with your videocard. If you did that Id rec uninstalling them and then doing a clean install of the drivers from AMD's site. If that doesn't work you may even need to do a clean format of windows and then do a clean install of the drivers 13.1 from amds site.

From the screenshot you sent your picture looks fine, which is why I wanted a camera shot to see what you are seeing on your tv. You could also try messing around with the color settings in the catalyst control center.

Sorry, I was in a rush to leave for work so I wasn't thinking straight and just put up a screen cap. Here's the picture from my camera.

cam00099.jpg

I used the cd but I believe I picked an option that installed the drivers from their website. I pulled a late shift tonight, so I have to head to bed, however I'll definitely look into the drivers after work tomorrow just in case and report back.

pretty certain that you ruled out a monitor issue with your troubleshooting earlier.

Its now almost certainly a driver issue. Follow the advice I gave above. The ones that come on cd's with videocards almost always suck ass for whatever reason and cause problems.

Only other thing it could be is a videocard hardware issue but that doesnt look like one to me.

it may take a clean install of windows to fix it.

If you want to test that theory without reformatting. Download ubuntu and run it from a flash drive or cd without installing it on your hard drive... its only a 700MB download and its pretty simple to do since you built your own machine. Then go to that website, if it displays properly its your drivers, if it doesn't its your videocard.
I guess you could also boot windows in safemode since that shouldn't load the video card driver either but im not 100% on if that will be definitive proof.

I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers from the website. While the drivers were uninstalled the color issue disappeared. Once I reinstalled it however the pink distortion returned. I'm downloading ubuntu now in order to test that out like you suggested.

[quote name='Prota']I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers from the website. While the drivers were uninstalled the color issue disappeared. Once I reinstalled it however the pink distortion returned. I'm downloading ubuntu now in order to test that out like you suggested.[/QUOTE]

you are probably going to have to do a clean install of windows. Sometimes driver issues persist even after "uninstalling"

if you do a clean windows format with 13.1 catalyst drivers from amds site the problem should disappear. You dont really need to download ubuntu unless you want to (it is extremely awesome for troubleshooting and other things) its a driver issue and only a clean windows install will fix it.

There are other ways to try to manually fix it, but tbqh its not really worth the effort involved compared to the effort involved with reinstalling windows.

at least you know its only a driver issue now and not a hardware one.

True, I guess I'll do a clean install once I have a chance to back-up my data. Thanks for all the help, and I'll be sure to post the results afterwards.

bread's done
Back