Having problems joining your friends games on XBL? Click Here to Fix it! V1.1

Memphis if you need help. Jump on AIM and IM me.....pimpinc333 is my AIM name......I'll try to help you a bit later. I just got home from work so i'm gona eat then shower.

In layman's terms, what does enabling DMZ hosting do? I've had that set to off and I haven't had any problems. I just set up a static IP for my 360, though, so is it absolutely necessary to enable it?

BTW, pimpin, this part's wording is slightly confusing, though I did get it to work anyway:

Also while you are here you will want to set your "DMZ Hosting". Locate this somewhere in your routers options. This will ask you for a Host which would be your Xbox 360. Type in it's IP Address. **DO NOT use your Computers IP Address**. Use the IP Address you used in the first part of this tutorial, you know the one I told you to write down. Type that in there and enable or turn on DMZ Hosting for your Xbox 360's IP Address.
The sentences preceding and following the bolded one puts me under the assumption that I should place the IP of the 360 in the DMZ hosting box. But then in the bolded sentence, you reference to the IP address you instruct them to write down from the first part, which would be the PC's IP address.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']In layman's terms, what does enabling DMZ hosting do? I've had that set to off and I haven't had any problems. I just set up a static IP for my 360, though, so is it absolutely necessary to enable it?

BTW, pimpin, this part's wording is slightly confusing, though I did get it to work anyway:

The sentences preceding and following the bolded one puts me under the assumption that I should place the IP of the 360 in the DMZ hosting box. But then in the bolded sentence, you reference to the IP address you instruct them to write down from the first part, which would be the PC's IP address.[/QUOTE]
Basically Enabling DMZ on your 360's IP Add will put your 360 on the outside of any firewalls thus not needing to do any port forwarding. You can basically do one or the other. If Port Forwarding doesn't work, use DMZ hosting and that should take care of any problems.

Ok I fixed that part to be a little less confusing but in my second paragraph I say take note of the 360 IP address for reference. But I also say take note or all your PC setting in the first paragraph. I see where the confusion was. Thanks.

[quote name='MemphisGun']DID EVERYTHING DOWN TO THE LAST STEP. STILL STRICT. screw it ill just call 1-800-4my-xbox in the morning.[/quote]

Hopefully you don't have one of the newer routers Comcast has been issuing as of late - the ones with built-in wireless.

My friend bought a 360 and absolutely couldn't open his ports because of the firewall. The poor guy spent $500 on a Costco Premium bundle and had to take it back and a week of Xbox Live going in and out.

Good luck, Memphis.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Basically Enabling DMZ on your 360's IP Add will put your 360 on the outside of any firewalls thus not needing to do any port forwarding. You can basically do one or the other. If Port Forwarding doesn't work, use DMZ hosting and that should take care of any problems.

Ok I fixed that part to be a little less confusing but in my second paragraph I say take note of the 360 IP address for reference. But I also say take note or all your PC setting in the first paragraph. I see where the confusion was. Thanks.[/quote]So if I'm not having any problems connecting to Live and my friends, I should just go with port forwarding and keep DMZ disabled? Which is the "safer" option since port forwarding seems to work for me.

BTW, excellent FAQ. Thanks.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']So if I'm not having any problems connecting to Live and my friends, I should just go with port forwarding and keep DMZ disabled? Which is the "safer" option since port forwarding seems to work for me.

BTW, excellent FAQ. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

They are both safe. As long as you use your 360's IP address for DMZ nothing can happen.

I'm having problems connecting with friends. I use a workgroup switch, and do not know what to do to change my NAT settings. Please help me.

I know you probably won't like the answer, but the only way that you can 100% guarantee that your router will work is to make sure that you buy a Xbox Live Compatible router.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/homenetworking/equipment.htm

I had a Belkin Pre-N Wireless router and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to change from NAT strict as it wouldn't allow me to open the proper ports. So I broke down and bought a D-Link DI-634M wireless router which I knew was compatible and haven't had any problems since.

I am having trouble getting setup with the wireless adapter to get on XBOX Live.

Everything passes the test with the configuration except for the NAT which shows up STRICT.

I have assisgned a static IP Address and forwarded ports 88, 2074, and 3074 which were listed on the Xbox forums. This has not helped at all and it is still showing STRICT during the tests.

Does anyone know anything else that I could try that might helpout any ?

I am using a Belkin F5D8233-4 Wireless N Router which works perfectly with every other wireless device I have.

[quote name='Mechafenris']I just threw my Xbox outside the router on my DMZ... seemed to fix any problems I had...[/quote]
I forgot to mention, that was actually the first thing I tried. When I set the IP to the DMZ, the 360 would not connect at all due to failing the MTU portion of the test.

Ok now a whole new set of problems. I finally got the wireless adapter to work when added to the DMZ list. Problem is, whenever I have the DMZ enabled, I cannot get any Web pages pulled up on my normal computer which is on a wired connection to the adapter. Between the MS Adapter and My Router.... I am going crazy.

UDP 88, UDP 3074, and TCP 3074

UDP AND TCP should be open for port 3074

If that doesnt work, I would have said update your firmware, but your router is either so new or just not supported anymore. FYI for future purchases, I would go with a Linksys, Netgear, or a Buffalo router.

it may be your internet modem as well. I have had similar issues only to find it was my dsl modem making the nat strict.

[quote name='masked lemon']I'm having problems connecting with friends. I use a workgroup switch, and do not know what to do to change my NAT settings. Please help me.[/QUOTE]
If you're using a switch and not a router, it likely won't do Network Address Translation (NAT), so there's nothing to set. What brand and model is it?

Also, putting your 360 in the DMZ could be bad for a number of reasons. For one, if it is a true DMZ, then it means that only external traffic will be forwarded to the internal network, meaning your 360 may be unable to access the local network, i.e. your computer with all your music, pictures, and videos. Luckily most consumer-grade routers do not implement a true DMZ and merely open all ports to that IP or forward all external traffic to that IP. Many routers only offer the DMZ to one IP, so if you have any other need for a DMZ (and if you do, you probably already know way more than I could explain here) like running a web filter, then you could be out of luck.

Plus God forbid if hackers learned to exploit the 360 somehow, it would be left totally unprotected from an attack.

It's not my modem. If the 360 is hardwired to the router, the NAT is set to open. The same if I setup the static IP and put it in the routers DMZ, which would be acceptable to me using this method.

My problem now is that if I add the IP for the 360 to the DMZ on the router, nothing else attached to the router can access the internet. I guess it's not really a big deal to flip the DMZ switch on the router back and forth since I never use them both at the same time; it just seems like that's more work than should be required.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']It's not my modem. If the 360 is hardwired to the router, the NAT is set to open. The same if I setup the static IP and put it in the routers DMZ, which would be acceptable to me using this method.

My problem now is that if I add the IP for the 360 to the DMZ on the router, nothing else attached to the router can access the internet. I guess it's not really a big deal to flip the DMZ switch on the router back and forth since I never use them both at the same time; it just seems like that's more work than should be required.[/QUOTE]

While I am slightly inclined to blame the router as being faulty, I can't help but think the router is not configured properly. Have you tried resetting the router to factory defaults and then testing the connection to XBL methodically after EACH and EVERY change to the router settings? Hell, just test the darned thing after restoring the factory defaults and see what happens...

[quote name='daphatty']While I am slightly inclined to blame the router as being faulty, I can't help but think the router is not configured properly. Have you tried resetting the router to factory defaults and then testing the connection to XBL methodically after EACH and EVERY change to the router settings? Hell, just test the darned thing after restoring the factory defaults and see what happens...[/quote]

Yeah I am going to give that a try one last time before breaking down and getting another router. I have had the worst luck with wireless routers. I had a Netgear and a Linksys that both started to fail within the first year. Thought I would try a different brand and it just fails to work well period.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Yeah I am going to give that a try one last time before breaking down and getting another router. I have had the worst luck with wireless routers. I had a Netgear and a Linksys that both started to fail within the first year. Thought I would try a different brand and it just fails to work well period.[/QUOTE]

If you do end up going that route, I'd recommend Buffalo. I bought one on a whim (cheap price at Best Buy) and I absolutely love it. I even went so far as to install an open source firmware (the default firmware is quite cumbersome to navigate) and the thing works even better! At any rate, good luck man.

I've never had any issues with my 360 and my Linksys WRT54G. Somewhere along the way I'll toss the DD-WRT FW on it and I'm sure it'll be even better.

Though, I'd put in a cautious nod towards Buffalo, as their tech support aren't always the sharpest knives in the drawer. I'd stay well away from D-Link, as they're complete fucktards. Linksys would be my preference.

[quote name='shrike4242']I've never had any issues with my 360 and my Linksys WRT54G. Somewhere along the way I'll toss the DD-WRT FW on it and I'm sure it'll be even better.

Though, I'd put in a cautious nod towards Buffalo, as their tech support aren't always the sharpest knives in the drawer. I'd stay well away from D-Link, as they're complete fucktards. Linksys would be my preference.[/QUOTE]

I second D-Link as an unfavorable choice. I've owned three D-Link routers (two DI-524s and one DI-624) and only the DI-624 worked "satisfactorily." The 624 was far from perfect mind you but it was a big improvement over the 524s. I'm still trying to figure out why I bought the second 524 when I first arrived in Indonesia...

As for Buffalo Tech Support, I can't say I've ever dealt with them. (I'm a Microsoft Certified IT Tech for crying out loud. I wouldn't call them anyway!) But I can vouch for the routers being solid. I bought three of them (same model) and have WDS running in my apartment. Concrete walls ain't got shit on me!

BTW, I'm running the Tomato 1.07 firmware on my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 routers in case you were wondering.

[quote name='daphatty']I second D-Link as an unfavorable choice. I've owned three D-Link routers (two DI-524s and one DI-624) and only the DI-624 worked "satisfactorily." The 624 was far from perfect mind you but it was a big improvement over the 524s. I'm still trying to figure out why I bought the second 524 when I first arrived in Indonesia...

As for Buffalo Tech Support, I can't say I've ever dealt with them. (I'm a Microsoft Certified IT Tech for crying out loud. I wouldn't call them anyway!) But I can vouch for the routers being solid. I bought three of them (same model) and have WDS running in my apartment. Concrete walls ain't got shit on me!

BTW, I'm running the Tomato 1.07 firmware on my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 routers in case you were wondering.[/quote]I spent six months trying to get one of D-Link's routers and two of their AP's to work together to do bridging, and it was a complete fuck-up. Spent six months dealing with it, and finally had both companies I bought the equipment from begrudingly take it back.

Buffalo's Tech Support makes you jump through some hoops in getting equipment replaced, which is a main issue I have with them. Plus, their hold times can be a bit on the long side.

I'm not knocking their products, as I have a number of them at my work, though I'm just passing along my experiences with their tech support.

I have WDS running fine on my Linksys gear, and have multiple consoles all running through an AP, without any issues. Which is why I tossed it out there as a possible option.

[quote name='shrike4242']I've never had any issues with my 360 and my Linksys WRT54G. Somewhere along the way I'll toss the DD-WRT FW on it and I'm sure it'll be even better.

Though, I'd put in a cautious nod towards Buffalo, as their tech support aren't always the sharpest knives in the drawer. I'd stay well away from D-Link, as they're complete fucktards. Linksys would be my preference.[/quote]

I was thinking about getting the WRT54GS; however on the Microsoft Web site, it shows only version 2.0 being compatible out of the box and it seems most retailers carry version 4.0 or 5.0. I have no idea what the difference is in the version, but have seen many claims of people still having NAT issues with the v4 and v5.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']I was thinking about getting the WRT54GS; however on the Microsoft Web site, it shows only version 2.0 being compatible out of the box and it seems most retailers carry version 4.0 or 5.0. I have no idea what the difference is in the version, but have seen many claims of people still having NAT issues with the v4 and v5.[/quote]I think the version of the WRT54G I have is 2.0 or 2.1, so if they changed it, that might be some of the possible issues.

Putting the DD-WRT open source FW on it, or one of the other ones, might be a way around that issue.

I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been stated, but you can also use your router to setup a static IP using the 360's MAC Address.

Turn 360 On
System Blade
Network Settings
Edit Settings
Additional Settings (push right on the stick)
Choose Advanced Settings
At the bottom it will say "Wired MAC Address [number/letters]" Write down that alphanumeric string.

Go to your routers page in a browser (Ie/firefox/etc) usually 192.168.0.1 or something like that

Somewhere you should find an option for DHCP - I'd post screenshots, but my router uses Chinese characters (I'm living in China at the moment) so I don't think you'd be able to understand.

It should have an option to enter an ip address you want - this would be the static ip you want to assign to the 360. There should be a field to input the mac address - this is the alphanumeric string you wrote down. Mine has a place to label the dhcp - I simply called it XBox 360.

Then you can proceed to open the ports the same way.

I should also mention that I use http://www.OpenDNS.org for my dns servers, simply because they offer things that benefit me for normal web-browsing - I don't know how it effects Xbox Live as I haven't done any tests.

Just for fun I went ahead and applied the settings manually to the 360 as well, simply because I like manually inputting network settings then using automatic settings.

Feel free to add this to the main post if you feel so inclined, it doesn't matter to me :)

Excellent. Thanks for the guide. I was getting NAT warnings playing Halo 3. This opened me right up in about 10 minutes. Now maybe I can kill people easier. :lol:

[quote name='senorwoohoo']I'm still having trouble getting my Live to run smoothly. I have an open NAT but I am getting yellow-coded connections.[/QUOTE]

What does yellow coded connections mean? Do you mean when you play Halo your connection is always int he yellow? If so then you need to get faster DSL/Cable internets or don't surf the web/download things while playing games ;)

Alls I hads to do's was change my's DMZ. call your router company, much easier than doing it on your own!

[quote name='pimpinc333']What does yellow coded connections mean? Do you mean when you play Halo your connection is always int he yellow? If so then you need to get faster DSL/Cable internets or don't surf the web/download things while playing games ;)[/QUOTE]

I have Cable and I'm not downloading or on the web while playing.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']I have Cable and I'm not downloading or on the web while playing.[/QUOTE]

Am I right though about having yellow connection while playing Halo? I'm still a bit confused about the yellows connection thing. Please explain more.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Am I right though about having yellow connection while playing Halo? I'm still a bit confused about the yellows connection thing. Please explain more.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you were right about that, sorry I didn't make it clear.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Yes, you were right about that, sorry I didn't make it clear.[/QUOTE]

Is everyone in yellow connection during your games or is it just you? If it's just you there is something wrong on your end. Cable Internet is a shared connection with everyone in your local block/area. During peak hours ( When everyone else is on the internet ) I could see you having a yellow connection. But during late night and such you shouldn't. You sure no one is stealing your internets and downloading shit?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']ever since the last update, my NAT settings have defaulted to strict...I'll have to check my ports again to see WTF is up.[/QUOTE]

Yea the same happened with me also. I had to mess around with some DMZ settings and such to get it back at Open.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Is everyone in yellow connection during your games or is it just you? If it's just you there is something wrong on your end. Cable Internet is a shared connection with everyone in your local block/area. During peak hours ( When everyone else is on the internet ) I could see you having a yellow connection. But during late night and such you shouldn't. You sure no one is stealing your internets and downloading shit?[/QUOTE]

After posting about this in the OTT, I realized that it's probably because of my roommate who constantly has Azureus running. I'll just have to tell him to close it when he's not using his computer.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']After posting about this in the OTT, I realized that it's probably because of my roommate who constantly has Azureus running. I'll just have to tell him to close it when he's not using his computer.[/QUOTE]

Yep Torrents will kill online gaming.

I run into the not being able to join friends problem a decent amount. As a complete know-nothing about wireless networks (I did get one set up for my xbox - the stars were aligned I guess) if I follow these instructions and it doesn't work I assume I just set everything back to how it is and no problems? Is there any bad side effect for the computer that is wired to the router making these adjustments?
Any advice is appreciated. I still remember how many calls to India and the complete pain in the ass it was when I originally got it working.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I run into the not being able to join friends problem a decent amount. As a complete know-nothing about wireless networks (I did get one set up for my xbox - the stars were aligned I guess) if I follow these instructions and it doesn't work I assume I just set everything back to how it is and no problems? Is there any bad side effect for the computer that is wired to the router making these adjustments?
Any advice is appreciated. I still remember how many calls to India and the complete pain in the ass it was when I originally got it working.[/QUOTE]

There are Zero Side Effects for your computer unless you accidentally put your Computers IP Address in the DMZ. Just make sure you put the Xbox 360 in the DMZ and everything should be fine and dandy.

OK, a couple questions regarding opening the ports up. I have a D-Link DI-514 router in case that matters. I am supposed to:
UDP 88
UDP, TCP 3074

but, on my applications page I have:
name__________
trigger port (space to enter stuff) - (space to enter stuff)
trigger type - drop down box where you can select TCP, UDP, or both
public port (big space to enter stuff)
public type - drop down box to select TCP, UDP, or both

so how do I get the UDP 88 and the UDP, TCP 3074 info in there correctly?

MANY thanks in advance!!!

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']OK, a couple questions regarding opening the ports up. I have a D-Link DI-514 router in case that matters. I am supposed to:
UDP 88
UDP, TCP 3074

but, on my applications page I have:
name__________
trigger port (space to enter stuff) - (space to enter stuff)
trigger type - drop down box where you can select TCP, UDP, or both
public port (big space to enter stuff)
public type - drop down box to select TCP, UDP, or both

so how do I get the UDP 88 and the UDP, TCP 3074 info in there correctly?

MANY thanks in advance!!![/QUOTE]

Skip that part for now and just do the DMZ Hosting. Find that on your router settings and put your 360's IP Add in there. Then you don't have to open any ports.

So far I have to keep changing my IP address as I keep getting "moderate", how many times do you usually have to try till you get an address that will give you "open"?
I've tried 6 different ones and still only get "moderate". Any suggestions/ideas?
Thanks as usual.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']So far I have to keep changing my IP address as I keep getting "moderate", how many times do you usually have to try till you get an address that will give you "open"?
I've tried 6 different ones and still only get "moderate". Any suggestions/ideas?
Thanks as usual.[/QUOTE]

There's really no real answer. You have to keep going until you get the Open NAT. Try to go in order or go with your favorite number and you may get lucky ;)

Thanks, I know you mentioned to keep it close to the IP of your computer, so if my computer IP ends in .100
I assume I should just go .101 .102 .103 etc until I get one that is "open"?
I stopped at .106 so I could play some games and I had no problem hosting some XBLA games but could not find a single game to join. I assume this is because of my current settings? I assume so since I tried several popular XBLA games.
Please let me know. Thanks.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Thanks, I know you mentioned to keep it close to the IP of your computer, so if my computer IP ends in .100
I assume I should just go .101 .102 .103 etc until I get one that is "open"?
I stopped at .106 so I could play some games and I had no problem hosting some XBLA games but could not find a single game to join. I assume this is because of my current settings? I assume so since I tried several popular XBLA games.
Please let me know. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yep you have the right idea. You should still be able to find some games while in moderate. Do you have Halo 3? If so then try that.

bread's done
Back