Hawaii Vacation

ItsAMeAMario

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So my wife and I are going to Hawaii for the first time.
We'll be in Honolulu for 2 days, and Kona for 5 more.

For those of you who have been to those cities, any suggestions of where to go/see/eat? We'll be renting a car so we can moving around shouldn't be a problem.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm stationed in Oahu (Honolulu island) and was there for about 6 months before they sent me to Afghanistan. I'd suggest the military beach on the Eastern side of the island (forgot it's name) and the north shore beach.

For food, the best places I found where in Waihawa, Muai Mikes and Mollys Smoke house are by far the best on the island.

Oh if you get lost on the way up to north shore, just ask where the rock is, there's this huge ass rock right on the coast about 25-30 feet up that people jump off of. It's intimidating at first, until you see a 5 year old girl do it.

On Oahu, I send the North Shore suggestion. Especially if you're there in the winter when the waves are huge.

Hiking up to the top of Diamond Head for the awesome view (there's a ton of stairs though (part of it's through an old military installment).

There's a nice hike in the Waimei Valley Audubon Center through jungle and back to the small waterfall that was in Lost.

I can't comment on Oahu, I tried my best to stay off that shitty island.

If you tl;dr the rest, buy Big Island Revealed. Locals hate this book because it had almost everything on the island. http://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Big-Island-Revealed-Guidebook/dp/0971727945

Rent a car during your time on the Big Island. There is a highway that goes around the island, but the volcano has made the southern tip impassable so if you want to go to the southwest corner of the island, you have to drive all the way around.

Get a good pair or two of swimming trunks that you can walk in all day. It rains on Hilo side so damn much that you might as well wear em all the time (the locals do). Get some good slippers.. flippers? Is that what we call em on the mainland? :D. Regular shoes will get wet and you'll have to take em off anyway. Something with some guts. I wore Chacos and they were great. http://www.zappos.com/chaco-z-1-unaweep-black

Plan for one day at the volcano. Make it the first day so you can go back if you want. Take a tour, it can be EXTREMELY dangerous (like death dangerous). Go at night, the difference is awesome. You can't really see the flow during the day but at night it's amazing. Wear your real shoes for this one.

Spend at least one day driving around in Pahoa/southwest. It's the jungle side. Mackenzie State Park is a MUST SEE. Eat lunch in rad Pahoa town. STAY THE fuck AWAY FROM ISAAC HALE PARK. Tourists are not welcome there PERIOD. Try to sneak into Champagne Ponds or hit up Kapoho pools for a swim. Relax. Enjoy the drive.

Hilo is so-so for tourists, but it has Rainbow Falls. All the tourists jump out, take a picture, and keep going. One of the best spots on the island is right above Rainbow Falls. Drive up (or walk around using the road) to just above the falls. There's probably the best swimming on the island. Great place to jump in with 10, 20, and 30 foot jump spots (depending on how brave you feel). AWESOME spot. It's one of two secret spots of mine not in the guide book. Locals and college students hang out up there. You're on the right path in when you see the gigantic banyan tree.

Richardson Park in Hilo was the closest water to me and I think I saw turtles every damn time I got in. There's also a beach on the south side that they love to sleep on, but I can't remember the name off hand.

I think Waipi'o Valley overlook was over rated.

I lived in Pahoa and Hilo and didn't spend much time in Kona (damn tourists :D) so I can't comment there. I remember Captain Cook something or other being good for snorkeling. Watch out for urchin. They hurt. Srsly. Hapuna is the best beach on the big island and should be your "beach day" beach. It's on Kona side. When you get there go out on the sand and keep walking to the right. There's a condo or some hotel over there that's got the best part of the beach but anyone can go there.

If you have any specific questions about specific places, just let me know.
17877_104743912884344_100000462076296_124656_5640102_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply everyone.
I think I'm going to get Big Island Revealed.

I'm really excited about the volcano; I'm going to have to book a tour guide. I guess my hotel should have more info about that, right?
I'm also gonna have to check out the spot above Rainbow Falls. Sounds awesome!

I'm gonna have to get new slippers/crocs. Mine are wearing out.

@Speedracer- that's a picture of you at a volcano?

Cheapy is in Hawaii? Is he on vacation or something?

[quote name='ItsAMeAMario']I'm really excited about the volcano; I'm going to have to book a tour guide. I guess my hotel should have more info about that, right?[/quote]
I would check reviews and book a tour guide in advance. I can't give a recommendation because I never used one. All the ones I saw were pretty good though. Just make sure you go out at night.
@Speedracer- that's a picture of you at a volcano?
Yup. Take a long stick. Poking the lava is friggin awesome, but it's so hot that you can't do it for more than 10-15 seconds before you feel yourself cooking. Longer stick = longer time playing with it (also there's the whole it burns thing). There's like no sticks at all at the volcano walking out there starting point, so bring one with.

bread's done
Back