HD-DVD AACS cracked

gsr

CAGiversary!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oZGYb92isE

enjoy.

There is no way in hell disney and fox jump onboard with HD-DVD if it has already been cracked. The reason they picked Blu Ray is because they felt it was more secure.

We'll have to wait and see if Blu Ray is cracked. This may just win the format war for Blu Ray.

Meh. Of course HD-DVD is cracked first, it's been "in the wild" alot longer. Piracy concerns will have little to do with what format (if either) wins the war. JoBlo consumer will determine the winner and nothing else.

[quote name='klwillis45']Meh. Of course HD-DVD is cracked first, it's been "in the wild" alot longer. Piracy concerns will have little to do with what format (if either) wins the war. JoBlo consumer will determine the winner and nothing else.[/quote]

actualy it has alot to do with it, as it doesent matter if more people buy hd dvd if blue rays water mark works, becuse the the studeos make more money on blue ray if it lacks pirate infested waters.

Hell the studeos would go with a unbreakable dvd over blue ray if one was to exist.

[quote name='gsr']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oZGYb92isE

enjoy.

There is no way in hell disney and fox jump onboard with HD-DVD if it has already been cracked. The reason they picked Blu Ray is because they felt it was more secure.

We'll have to wait and see if Blu Ray is cracked. This may just win the format war for Blu Ray.[/QUOTE]

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhttttt :roll:

[quote name='IGN']Just a few days after the release of Terra Soft Solutions' Yellow Dog Linux v5.0, hackers found a way to rip Blu-ray movies onto the PS3 hard drive.

Yellow Dog Linux v5.0, which can be downloaded at Terra Soft's site, allows users to turn their PlayStation 3 into a personal computer. The hard drive is segmented to prevent users from manipulating the PS3's own software, but that hasn't stopped hackers from exploiting Sony's new console.

Multiple sites, including PVRWire, are demonstrating methods to illegally copy Blu-ray movies to the PS3 hard drive. Since Blu-ray drives are not yet available on PCs, the PS3 version of Linux is the first user-accessible OS capable of working with the new media.

Unlike music CDs, which allow users to create back-up copies for personal use, Blu-ray and DVD movies carry express copyright laws forbidding any form of duplication. Even ripping a Blu-ray disc to a PS3 for your own enjoyment is in violation of these laws.[/QUOTE]

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/748/748723p1.html

[quote name='White-Wolf']actualy it has alot to do with it, as it doesent matter if more people buy hd dvd if blue rays water mark works, becuse the the studeos make more money on blue ray if it lacks pirate infested waters.

Hell the studeos would go with a unbreakable dvd over blue ray if one was to exist.[/quote]

Yes bcuz nothing spells profit like products collecting dust on store shelves. :roll:
It doesn't matter how "unbreakable" something is if the consumer doesn't buy it. Never mind the fact that nothing is crack-proof.

I don't really care which format wins and for all anybody knows it could be a draw if combo-players take hold.

[quote name='gsr']We'll have to wait and see if Blu Ray is cracked. This may just win the format war for Blu Ray.[/QUOTE]
No we won't. In fact, if we knew ANYTHING about the format war, or followed it in the slightest, we'd know that pirates are already ripping Blu-Rays movies to their PS3s.

[quote name='AshesofWake']Full Metal Jacket is on HD-DVD!?[/QUOTE]

it was one of the first wave titles from warner if i recall..back in april

And...Xbox is hacked, does it not sell? 360 is hacked, does it not sell? DS is cracked, does it not sell? PSP is cracked, does it not sell?

C'mon.

[quote name='slickkill77']360 wasnt hacked totaly...they tried and microsoft but down the ban hammer[/QUOTE]

Uhh, no. Several of my friends have modified 360 that play burned copies of games. On live. No issues.

[quote name='klwillis45'] Never mind the fact that nothing is crack-proof.[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir, ill be hiring you as my next lawyer.

Blu-ray and HD-DVD use the same encryption scheme... so if this is true, they are both cracked.

I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach before I get too excited

[quote name='Robobandit']Blu-ray and HD-DVD use the same encryption scheme... so if this is true, they are both cracked.

I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach before I get too excited[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is true, I was reading an article the other day (trying to find it now) that pointed out how bluray had 2 extra layers of physical copy protection. HD DVD only has one layer - encryption.

[quote name='gizmogc']Uhh, no. Several of my friends have modified 360 that play burned copies of games. On live. No issues.[/quote]
Thats impossible...The fall update bricked anyones console that had modified firmware, so unless there was a new hack your friends arent playing burned games on live

Before we get started, its worth saying that there hasn't actually been any third party confirmation that this "crack" actually works...

But that being said... I found out about this earlier but did some research before posting this time as the last reports of a Blu-Ray "crack" on PS3 I posted were bunk (thanks to news reporters who didn't do their research).

Here is the OP of the utility maker:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=119871

Unfortunately for us, even if it did work though as described by the author it does not "crack" HD DVD/Blu-Ray's AACS in the same way that we think of DeCSS or DVDecryptor "cracking" DVD's.

Looking at the post of the author of the utility, it appears one of the recently released software HD DVD/Blu-Ray players did not sufficiently encrypt the actual movie title keys in memory when playing back the movie (let's say PowerDVD 6.5 in this case). Therefore, this utility allows the user to "decrypt" and play current movies (with some footwork - you need to find the keys for yourself - it doesn't just run automatically) using a title key found within an active PowerDVD 6.5 session memory dump - however future HD DVD/Blu-Ray movies & drives will then add PowerDVD 6.5 to their blacklist and PowerDVD 6.5 will be unable to access future HD DVDs and therefore title keys will no longer be obtainable using the insecure player software. Your drive will be automatically updated with the latest blacklist via standard movie discs. PowerDVD 6.5 users of course will need to upgrade their software since it will be considered an insecure player - I'm sure this is one of the reasons ethernet jacks are mandatory in HD DVD players as even if one of the standalones players is found insecure and blacklisted it can be easily updated w/ net firmware.

Therefore, if it is legit at best this crack only allows hackers to "crack" both HD DVD/Blu-Ray content released this year. Next year's releases will revoke PowerDVD 6.5's decrypt deviceID and hence everyone will lose the method to find the title keys using this method for HD DVD/Blu-Ray discs authored/reauthored in 2007... Unlike CSS (which had a very limited set of keys), using this method with AACS is more of a cat-and-mouse game, with each new movie able to ban an unlimited number of insecure players/devices.

When AACS will really be cracked is when they are able to bypass player revocation, but that has not been accomplished... yet

[quote name='thrustbucket']I don't think this is true, I was reading an article the other day (trying to find it now) that pointed out how bluray had 2 extra layers of physical copy protection. HD DVD only has one layer - encryption.[/QUOTE]

The extra two layers don't do much good if AACS is compromised (and it is not even if this utility works as claimed by the author, see above post). AACS is still Blu-Ray's front line defense.

[quote name='slickkill77']Thats impossible...The fall update bricked anyones console that had modified firmware, so unless there was a new hack your friends arent playing burned games on live[/QUOTE]

That is incorrect. Please see xbox-scene.com. All my friends have the fall update, some before they modified, some after. All work fine. Not a single issue with any of them. If this WAS the case, there wouldn't be tons of people advertising modifying 360's on Craiglist right now.

If you need more proof, I'm sure I could even videotape an obvious fall updated 360 with a burned copy of Dead Rising going in it. Any game. Even games that have XBL connected and playing online.

bread's done
Back