Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
JUST GO HERE FOR DEALS NOW: Credit over at DVDtalk.com
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=482461

Please feel free to post any HD-DVD / BD deals in this thread.

- Family Video Store for $5 off first time orders at http://www.familyvideo.com
This coupon is good for $5 off $5 and it's only .99 cents shipping for any size order.
Coupon code: NEWMEM96
Batman Begins HD-DVD ~ $17 shipped

- Google Checkout at BUY.com / CDUniverse.com / Bestprices.com have good deals (EXP 10/31)

- Amazon seems to have competitive prices on some also. 10 % off DEAL (order 3 and get 10% off and get 10% off for a year)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/102-4264254-3012160?ie=UTF8&nodeId=160066011

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray REVIEWS:
www.dvdtalk.com
www.highdefdigest.com

[quote name='zman73']I dont think it is a "great" movie, but not horrible either (would much much rather watch the olf Hulk TV series)... being a Hulk fan for years I was disappointed by the serious tone in the movie, but I still want this to show off on my HD-dvd[/QUOTE]

It's not so much the tone, or the ridiculously bad editing that ruin the movie for me. It's Hulk's size. He keeps getting larger and larger. By the end of the movie, the love interest is practically looking up at his knees. This didn't bother some people, because they're not that familiar with the character or what have you. But let me make a comparison. If you went to see a movie about Bram Stoker's Dracula and they made Dracula 30 feet tall, would it bother you any? Bothers me!

[quote name='eastx']It's not so much the tone, or the ridiculously bad editing that ruin the movie for me. It's Hulk's size. He keeps getting larger and larger. By the end of the movie, the love interest is practically looking up at his knees. This didn't bother some people, because they're not that familiar with the character or what have you. But let me make a comparison. If you went to see a movie about Bram Stoker's Dracula and they made Dracula 30 feet tall, would it bother you any? Bothers me![/QUOTE]

The angrier he got, the bigger he got. That was part of the storyling of the movie. Its not like it was a mistake in CG, it was part of the artistic license taken by Ang Lee.

I for one enjoyed the movie. Not as much as other comic movies, but I certainly didnt hate it (like i did Elektra). Its a good popcorn flick if you watch it for what it is.

I wont be upgrading, however, unless the price of the HDDVD comes down to less than $10, so that might be awhile unless it goes on clearance at target.

[quote name='grimlock49']http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5073265

Clerks II HD-DVD @ frys.com - Release date is 1/16/07.[/quote]
fuck. after $7 shipping and $2 tax $24.70 is not great at all... I sense that this is a price mistake but I really do hope I'm wrong and that Fry's ends up selling it at this price when it comes out this 16th.

Not sure if this is simply a local store or what, but I stumbled into a MOVIES 4 SALE store last night and found some pretty good deals on BR/HD DVDs. Most of what they had was 14.99. Might be able to pick some up for trade.

Here's what they had (all 14.99)

BR:
X3
Monster House
Nacho Libre
Black Hawk Down
Ant Bully
Underworld 2
Lord of War
The Wild
Superman Returns
Mission Impossible 3 (grabbed the last boxset for myself for 49.99)

HD-DVD:
Lake House
Nacho Libre
Last Samurai
Tomb Raider (not sure if it's original or sequel)
Sleepy Hollow (grabbed one of these, as well)
Ant Bully

There were a few others that I can't remember. Will be checking back soon, though. Some of the best deals I've found.

i also just recently saw hulk for the first time... looked good but didnt like the movie too much...

bring on matrix already dammit

[quote name='matowest']Not sure if this is simply a local store or what, but I stumbled into a MOVIES 4 SALE store last night and found some pretty good deals on BR/HD DVDs. Most of what they had was 14.99. Might be able to pick some up for trade.

Here's what they had (all 14.99)

.[/QUOTE]

Sounds local to me, but some GREAT deals there.

Google Checkout is back for NEW customers, but current users can get it if they sign up again (with the same info)

DVDplanet and DVDEmpire seem to be the best options....now, I just have to pick a disc. Clerks II, Devil's Rjects, The Descent (pricey on this, but I can get a $10 rebate with PS3 coupon)

I was able to use existing GCO accounts to sign up again for the 10-off-10 promo and order Superman 2 HD-DVD for $11.02 shipped at Buy.com, and Matador HD-DVD for $11.97 shipped at BestPrices.com.

ordered batman begins $13 at bestprices.. hope they are reliable cheapest shipping was 2.99.. dvd planet didnt have batman in stock

thats 3 orders today already..

so far:

saw $13
v for ven $12
batman $13

wanted to order fast and furios on hd dvd but sold out at best prices

im running out of email addresses lol..

another br title i would like to get is rocky but it was releases quietly and i cant find any reviews and kinda $

[quote name='doubledown']How do you get multiple orders? JUST different e-mails? [/quote]

Different e-mail addresses for each GCO account seemed to work for me. Even used the same CC.

Yep, any Blu-Ray or HD-DVD suggestions??? Just opened my second google account

I own:
HD-DVD
- Kong
- Fast Furious
- Batman Begins
- Clerks II (GCO order #1)

Blu-Ray
- Talladegha Nights (PS3 version)

I'm thinking The Descent or The Devil's Rejects (own DVD though)

[quote name='doubledown']Yep, any Blu-Ray or HD-DVD suggestions??? Just opened my second google account

I own:
HD-DVD
- Kong
- Fast Furious
- Batman Begins
- Clerks II (GCO order #1)

Blu-Ray
- Talladegha Nights (PS3 version)

I'm thinking The Descent or The Devil's Rejects (own DVD though)[/quote]

If you liked Fast and the Furious. I recommend 2 fast 2 furious.

yea i love the fast and furious series.. i have 1 and 2 on dvd...

i would get 3 but damn combo disks are expensive..

they look great on hd dvd

Thanks...I'll think about that. I love horror movies also though.

I'm debating getting a Blu-Ray disc since I only have TN that acme with the PS3 (although, the PS3 is on a 26" LCD w/HDMI, and 360 HD-DVD on my 55" w/component)

target.com has a vast majority of its hd-dvd stock at $19.99. no sales tax on the order, and they ship out of lexington, KY (which is awesome for me, because it takes no time at all for the orders to get to me in tennessee.

[quote name='sman113']The angrier he got, the bigger he got. That was part of the storyling of the movie. Its not like it was a mistake in CG, it was part of the artistic license taken by Ang Lee.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and the point of my post was that crazily warping the size of the character wouldn't be accepted in any other story, but just because people aren't that into the Hulk, they kind of got away with it. However, it's stupid. His pants are like size 400 waist by the time he turns King Kong sized. Amazing how his powers can make them grow.

Also, I thought Clerks 2 was great. It shows the logical progression of events for characters I really cared about from the first movie, though I'm disappointed Dante's ex-girlfriends didn't make an appearance. So, if ya like Clerks or Kevin Smith movies in general, you should check it out.

Fry's Electronics store ad has the following Blu-Ray and HD-DVD titles for sale at a price of $17.99-- I'm not sure if their online site has the deals too?

Blu-Ray- XXX, Stealth and The Terminator
HD-DVD- Superman 2, Terminator 3 and Enter the Dragon

[quote name='lordopus99']Looks like Outpost.com has Clerks 2 HD for 14.99.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/5073265?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Might have to bite on that one.[/quote]
Yeah it was listed on the previous page. You might want to print the page and take it to a local Fry's to PM incase they don't have it on sale next week, because shipping & tax totally kills the deal. I almost got it but it comes out to like $24 for me.

[quote name='doubledown']
So, any other god deals this week? I'm still waiting for major B&M to start offering deals...who knows.[/QUOTE]

Me too. It's about time BB and CC take charge. Unfortunetly I don't have a Fry's near by :(

Got an email today saying that amazon.com is extending there HD-DVD 10% off promotion now until end of 2007. So if you ordered any 3 HD-DVDs before 12-31-06 you can now still save 10% until the end of the year 12-31-07.

I'm going to bite on Hulk for my birthday, and spin my 360HD for the first time.

How much would you recommend that I get something other than component cables? I have an HDTV with a VGA input, and I just want to make sure I get the best picture the first time I watch it.

It got passed over in the weekly ad thread, but 1/14 BB ad, there's a Blu-Ray deal.

Buy 1, Get 1, mix/match prices(can get a $25 free if buy a $30)
For 24.99: Kung Fu Hustle, House of Flying Daggers, something I can't remember
29.99: Talladega Nights, Black Hawk Down, Click, 1 or 2 more I can't remember

[quote name='Gojtron']It got passed over in the weekly ad thread, but 1/14 BB ad, there's a Blu-Ray deal.

Buy 1, Get 1, mix/match prices(can get a $25 free if buy a $30)
For 24.99: Kung Fu Hustle, House of Flying Daggers, something I can't remember
29.99: Talladega Nights, Black Hawk Down, Click, 1 or 2 more I can't remember[/quote]

Great deal for BR but where's the HD-DVD love? :cry:

I did hear that BB doesn't care to sell and/or advertise HD-DVD and tries to foce Blu-Ray on customers so I was shocked to find on this weeks AD has a special that when you buy a Toshiba HD-DVD player you get 2 free HD-DVD's of your choice. Maybe that's just the beginning or just me wishfully thinking.

Best Buy's handling of HD-DVD is absolutely ridiculous. Why did only select stores only get in 1-2 copies of Miami Vice? Why has V for Vendetta been sold out at every Best Buy for the last 2 weeks? Why are The Breakfast Club, Casablanca, and The Deer Hunter only available from Bestbuy.com? I don't even know why I bother with Best Buy anymore...

Can you blame best buy?

HD-DVD is as good as dead. Look at their CES announcements - pathetic!

Blu-ray has the support of all the major studios minus Universal.

Sell your Xbox add-on drive while they are still worth something!

[quote name='lostgames']Can you blame best buy?

HD-DVD is as good as dead. Look at their CES announcements - pathetic!

Blu-ray has the support of all the major studios minus Universal.

Sell your Xbox add-on drive while they are still worth something![/QUOTE]

Sony = smoke and mirrors

Look at the actual substance of the announcements and you'll see that HD-DVD is still outselling blu ray. There was some information about blu ray being more profitable but it was very vague (it doesn't even say who its more profitable for) and probably has a lot more to do with Sony not charging as high of licensing fees to the studios who have blu ray deals.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Best Buy's handling of HD-DVD is absolutely ridiculous. Why did only select stores only get in 1-2 copies of Miami Vice? Why has V for Vendetta been sold out at every Best Buy for the last 2 weeks? Why are The Breakfast Club, Casablanca, and The Deer Hunter only available from Bestbuy.com? I don't even know why I bother with Best Buy anymore...[/QUOTE]

The Blu-ray section is just as bad. At both of my local best buys they have the have the same amount of Blu-rays and HD-DVDs with several big titles missing. I haven't seen a single black hawk down or Kingdom of Heaven.

Anyways, it pointless buying Hi Definition discs at best buy anyways, google checkout/buy.com and amazon has much better prices and selection.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Sony = smoke and mirrors

Look at the actual substance of the announcements and you'll see that HD-DVD is still outselling blu ray. There was some information about blu ray being more profitable but it was very vague (it doesn't even say who its more profitable for) and probably has a lot more to do with Sony not charging as high of licensing fees to the studios who have blu ray deals.[/QUOTE]

What in gods name are you talking about?

Here are the numbers that matter -
Install base for Blu-Ray players - around 1 million in just over a months time
Install base for HD-DVD players - around 175k (first player was avail in April in US)

Studio support -
Blu-ray: Over 80% of studios supporting (including 5 of the 6 big ones)
HD-DVD: Around 50% with only exclusive studio being Universal

Fox reported this morning that starting the week of Dec 24th, Blu-ray discs are outselling HD-DVD by 20%.

I'm no Sony fanboy and I do think the special features on HD-DVD are terrific! But the writing is on the wall. HD-DVD needed to get more studio support and they had not a single announcement for CES. By this time next year, there will probably be 10 million Blu-ray players out there because of the PS3.

ill have br eventually anyways but im still hopin hd dvd can counter all these announcements...

we still got same big name releases coming to hd dvd..

cant wait for matrix trilogy

[quote name='lostgames']What in gods name are you talking about?

Here are the numbers that matter -
Install base for Blu-Ray players - around 1 million in just over a months time
Install base for HD-DVD players - around 175k (first player was avail in April in US)

Studio support -
Blu-ray: Over 80% of studios supporting (including 5 of the 6 big ones)
HD-DVD: Around 50% with only exclusive studio being Universal

Fox reported this morning that starting the week of Dec 24th, Blu-ray discs are outselling HD-DVD by 20%.

I'm no Sony fanboy and I do think the special features on HD-DVD are terrific! But the writing is on the wall. HD-DVD needed to get more studio support and they had not a single announcement for CES. By this time next year, there will probably be 10 million Blu-ray players out there because of the PS3.[/QUOTE]
That's sony-type thinking there. Just because the PS3 has a blu-ray movie player doesn't mean that everyone that owns a PS3 is buying blu ray movies. Not to mention that you're quoting PS3 ship numbers as insall base which are 2 totally different things.

I will not argue studio support with you because I agree, blu ray has much stronger studio support. There's no debating that but what is debatable is whether or not it automatically makes them the winner. It doesn't.

So Fox announces that blu ray has outsold HD-dvd by a measily 20% for the last 2 weeks. Yep, you're right, its over. By the way, HD-dvd has only had 3 new releases in that time frame, none of which were big name titles. We'll see what happens when the HD-dvd releases ramp up again in couple more weeks.

[quote name='guyver2077']ill have br eventually anyways but im still hopin hd dvd can counter all these announcements...

we still got same big name releases coming to hd dvd..

cant wait for matrix trilogy[/quote]
Unfortunately that's going to be coming out on Blu-Ray as well.

As for the guy who said HD-DVD is as good as dead due to the CES announcements or lack there of:

For Blu-ray backer Sony, this meant emphasizing the one million PlayStation 3 units unleashed on the market in the fourth quarter of 2006. Since each PS3 comes equipped with a Blu-ray drive, Sony's clear victory was in extending Blu-ray's installed base far beyond that of rival format HD DVD, whose supporters announced at their own press conference an installed base of just 175,000 players sold.

But the HD DVD camp had its own story to tell, emphasizing their format's high attach rates (which they annualize at 28 discs per player), while implying that most PS3 owners had yet to actually buy a single Blu-ray movie disc. HD DVD backers went so far as to differentiate buyer intent between the two competing game console high-def playback solutions, including this statement in their CES press release: "With the knowledge that every Xbox 360 HD DVD player sold is purchased by someone who wants to watch high definition movies, studios supporting HD DVD see significant value in the player, as a great way to bring "The Look and Sound of Perfect" to gamers while helping ensure strong movie attach rates for each and every player sold."
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Industry_Trends/Disc_Sales/CES/CES:_Blu-ray_and_HD_DVD_camps_Reveal_2006_Hardware_Sales_Figures,_Both_Claim_Victory/423

...the HD DVD Promotions Group today promised will be a total of at least 300 new titles on the format in the next year, from more than 41 studios and distributors currently supporting HD DVD worldwide, including HBO Home Video, New Line Home Entertainment, Genius Product, Inc., The Weinstein Company, Studio Canal, and Bandai Visual.
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/show/CES/Disc_Announcements/CES:_HD_DVD_to_See_300_New_Titles_in_2007/417

And this is only CES 07 Day one...there will be more announcements.

EDIT: Sorry for going off topic doubledown. For a second there I thought I had posted on the XBOX HD-DVD thread.

I just wish the Weinstein Company and New Line would start releasing their discs already. New Line alone has a lot of titles that could move some players.

Does anyone know if The Weinstein Company still holds the rights to movies they made as Miramax? I need me some Pulp Fiction and Dusk till Dawn in HD.

Not only that but I can't wait till Universal starts to really roll out their top movies in HD. Jurassic Park, Gladiator, and Dawn of the Dead remake are definetly at the top of my list.

[quote name='flybrione']Got an email today saying that amazon.com is extending there HD-DVD 10% off promotion now until end of 2007. So if you ordered any 3 HD-DVDs before 12-31-06 you can now still save 10% until the end of the year 12-31-07.[/QUOTE]

Please explain how to get this discount. I'm not seeing it on the site.

As I signed up for this deal......methinks the code you put in at checkout is HDDISC10......not sure thought.

Deal is....buy 3 HD-DVDs / Blu-Ray Discs.....get 10% off and then 10% off until the end of 2007.

Not too bad........used the Coupons that came with PS3 to pickup UNDERWORLD, TERMINATOR 2, and JAY & SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK....ended up after the 10% off and rebate:

T2 (Note....NOT DIRECTOR'S CUT/SPECIAL EDITION....which I didn't realize)
19.95 - 10 % - $ 5.00 Rebate = $ 12.96

UnderWorld = 24.95 - 10 % - $ 5.00 Rebate = $ 17.46

J & S B Strike Back = 19.95 - 10% - $5.00 Rebate = $ 12.98

Not bad overall.

Ah, that's the coupon. Thanks.

Well, I already ordered Sky Captain HD-DVD and Enter the Dragon HD-DVD from buy.com using Google checkout for about $11.40 shipped, each... Now I'm going to have to get some newer releases from Amazon. :)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Jurassic Park Trilogy :drool:[/QUOTE]

I'm not really too concerned with getting the whole trilogy. If we could get the first one at the very least, I'd be ecstatic. The other two would be a nice icing on the cake but the first is a MUST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back