Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
JUST GO HERE FOR DEALS NOW: Credit over at DVDtalk.com
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=482461

Please feel free to post any HD-DVD / BD deals in this thread.

- Family Video Store for $5 off first time orders at http://www.familyvideo.com
This coupon is good for $5 off $5 and it's only .99 cents shipping for any size order.
Coupon code: NEWMEM96
Batman Begins HD-DVD ~ $17 shipped

- Google Checkout at BUY.com / CDUniverse.com / Bestprices.com have good deals (EXP 10/31)

- Amazon seems to have competitive prices on some also. 10 % off DEAL (order 3 and get 10% off and get 10% off for a year)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/102-4264254-3012160?ie=UTF8&nodeId=160066011

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray REVIEWS:
www.dvdtalk.com
www.highdefdigest.com

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That's sony-type thinking there. Just because the PS3 has a blu-ray movie player doesn't mean that everyone that owns a PS3 is buying blu ray movies. Not to mention that you're quoting PS3 ship numbers as insall base which are 2 totally different things.

I will not argue studio support with you because I agree, blu ray has much stronger studio support. There's no debating that but what is debatable is whether or not it automatically makes them the winner. It doesn't.

So Fox announces that blu ray has outsold HD-dvd by a measily 20% for the last 2 weeks. Yep, you're right, its over. By the way, HD-dvd has only had 3 new releases in that time frame, none of which were big name titles. We'll see what happens when the HD-dvd releases ramp up again in couple more weeks.[/QUOTE]

Sony-type thinking? Are you an HD-DVD fanboy or are you just defensive because you know you're grasping at straws?

I said around a million PS3s. Let's assume Sony sold 90% of those that were shipped. Now add in stand-alone sales. Thats around a million in my book. Even if they sold *HALF* (which is totally unrealistic)- that would still be 2.5 times the number of HD-DVD players sold in 8 months time!

Maybe not everyone with a PS3 is interested in Blu-ray but its still power of numbers. A million units out there, only half are interested - again that is 2.5 times the number of HD-DVD players. I tend to think 50% interest rate is way low. Their own survey said 75% of pS3 owners plan to use it as a primary device for movies.

If you don't think that is the case, then logically explain to me why Blu-ray has passed HD-DVD sales already starting the week of Xmas. I'm not buying "there were no good movies released since then" since Blu-ray had the same problem :)

Blu-ray has more studio support (including everything that is arriving on HD-DVD minus Universal Studios) and more players by a margin of somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-1 and 6-1 in the US. In Japan, Blu-ray already has 96% market share!!!

What does HD-DVD have? A press release announcing a high attach rate last year? HA!

[quote name='lostgames']Sony-type thinking? Are you an HD-DVD fanboy or are you just defensive because you know you're grasping at straws?[/QUOTE]

I'm no more of an HD-DVD fanboy than you are a blu ray fanboy.

[quote name='lostgames']I said around a million PS3s. Let's assume Sony sold 90% of those that were shipped. Now add in stand-alone sales. Thats around a million in my book. Even if they sold *HALF* (which is totally unrealistic)- that would still be 2.5 times the number of HD-DVD players sold in 8 months time!

Maybe not everyone with a PS3 is interested in Blu-ray but its still power of numbers. A million units out there, only half are interested - again that is 2.5 times the number of HD-DVD players. I tend to think 50% interest rate is way low. Their own survey said 75% of pS3 owners plan to use it as a primary device for movies.![/QUOTE]

The PS3 still has a DVD player therefore a survey asking if people intend to use it as their primary device for movies still does not answer whether or not they bought it to use as a blu ray player, a video game system, or both. Sony has this roundabout way of asking their questions to elicit the answers they want to hear. If the electronics business ends up not working out for them, I see a bright future in politics for them.!

[quote name='lostgames']If you don't think that is the case, then logically explain to me why Blu-ray has passed HD-DVD sales already starting the week of Xmas. I'm not buying "there were no good movies released since then" since Blu-ray had the same problem :)

Blu-ray has more studio support (including everything that is arriving on HD-DVD minus Universal Studios) and more players by a margin of somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-1 and 6-1 in the US. In Japan, Blu-ray already has 96% market share!!!![/QUOTE]

Its not just Universal that's HD-dvd exclusive. There's also the Weinstein company and New Line as well who both plan on releasing movies in the coming months.

[quote name='lostgames']What does HD-DVD have? A press release announcing a high attach rate last year? HA![/QUOTE]

I'd rather have 1 true statement than a bunch of half-truths...

[quote name='lostgames']Sony-type thinking? Are you an HD-DVD fanboy or are you just defensive because you know you're grasping at straws?

Maybe not everyone with a PS3 is interested in Blu-ray but its still power of numbers. A million units out there, only half are interested - again that is 2.5 times the number of HD-DVD players. I tend to think 50% interest rate is way low. Their own survey said 75% of pS3 owners plan to use it as a primary device for movies.

In Japan, Blu-ray already has 96% market share!!!

What does HD-DVD have? A press release announcing a high attach rate last year? HA![/QUOTE]

You accuse him of HDDVD fanboy attitude but you are doing the same thing for Blu-Ray.

To adequately look at the success/failure of any format, you have to look at that attachment rate, i.e. how many movies are being sold per player. HDDVD supposedly has an attach rate of somewhere over 25 (dont know if i believe that), while PS3/Blu-Ray is somewhere under 5 if i remember correctly.

If a studio sees that people who own HD are buying lots of movies, it means there is a better chance the consumer will buy their movie, while if someone with a BluRay player isnt buying movies at all, there is no chance their movie will sell. Its simple business; you want to support the format that you think will be more successful, but once the numbers start coming in, the studios want to make money and will reevaluate support if they have to.

Whatever argument you want to make, its way too early to be declaring a winner in this "war" so just leave your fanboy attitudes in another forum, and save this one for deals on the movies themselves.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Great deal for BR but where's the HD-DVD love? :cry:[/QUOTE]

From what i've been reading, Best Buy is in Blu-Ray's back pocket.

[quote name='doubledown']It appears next week Best Buy will have Buy 1 Get 1 Free on Blu-Ray discs (7 to choose from, see Speedy's post for titles)[/QUOTE]
now this is what i like to see

[quote name='doubledown']It appears next week Best Buy will have Buy 1 Get 1 Free on Blu-Ray discs (7 to choose from, see Speedy's post for titles)[/QUOTE]

Anyone in Bay Area interested in doing this? The only title I seem to be interested in is Black Hawk Down. So I was wondering if anyone else wanted a title from that section and we split the cost?

If only Enemy of the State was part of the list grrrr!!!!!!

[quote name='lorddct']Anyone in Bay Area interested in doing this? The only title I seem to be interested in is Black Hawk Down. So I was wondering if anyone else wanted a title from that section and we split the cost?

If only Enemy of the State was part of the list grrrr!!!!!![/QUOTE]

If you wan't black hawk down, you can get it from dvd planet for 10.95 shipped if you use the $10 off for google checkout new users. If you buy it at BB next week you will be paying $12.50 plus tax and have to buy another movie for 12.50.

Some great deals at dvd planet using gc...

my first first br order just shipped- Saw for $13

Unfortunately the only other br's im interested in are just too expensive..

I hope this is still around for when saw 2 and 3 are released

Still waiting for the other hd dvd's i ordered to ship..

I know House of Flying Daggers is a must buy for me at the B1G1 but does anyone know if Fantastic Four, Corpse Bride, or Kingdom of Heaven are part of this sale?

[quote name='guyver2077']Some great deals at dvd planet using gc...

my first first br order just shipped- Saw for $13

Unfortunately the only other br's im interested in are just too expensive..

I hope this is still around for when saw 2 and 3 are released

Still waiting for the other hd dvd's i ordered to ship..[/QUOTE]

Bestprices.com has SAW and SAW II for $18.99 BEFORE coupons. You can use GC for pre-orders there also....

[quote name='doubledown']Bestprices.com has SAW and SAW II for $18.99 BEFORE coupons. You can use GC for pre-orders there also....[/quote]

wow that would have been better.. i coulda sworn someone mentioned bestprices wasnt too reliable?

anyone order from them>?

fuck time for more email addys now

edit. just remembered i did order v for vendetta from them... which still hasnt shipped.. ive lost track of all my orders..

edit 2.. lol i actually ordered batman not v.. and its backordered

edit 3.. seems like i did order v from another email address...there is no statud update on this one.

[quote name='goosedude']As I signed up for this deal......methinks the code you put in at checkout is HDDISC10......not sure thought.

Deal is....buy 3 HD-DVDs / Blu-Ray Discs.....get 10% off and then 10% off until the end of 2007.

Not too bad........used the Coupons that came with PS3 to pickup UNDERWORLD, TERMINATOR 2, and JAY & SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK....ended up after the 10% off and rebate:

T2 (Note....NOT DIRECTOR'S CUT/SPECIAL EDITION....which I didn't realize)
19.95 - 10 % - $ 5.00 Rebate = $ 12.96

UnderWorld = 24.95 - 10 % - $ 5.00 Rebate = $ 17.46

J & S B Strike Back = 19.95 - 10% - $5.00 Rebate = $ 12.98

Not bad overall.[/QUOTE]

Where did you find the coupon? I have the PS3 but don't remember seeing any coupons.

Thanks!

[quote name='Kuma']I know House of Flying Daggers is a must buy for me at the B1G1 but does anyone know if Fantastic Four, Corpse Bride, or Kingdom of Heaven are part of this sale?[/QUOTE]

Nope, none of them are. The sale is only for select Sony titles.

[quote name='guyver2077']wow that would have been better.. i coulda sworn someone mentioned bestprices wasnt too reliable?

anyone order from them>?
[/QUOTE]

I ordered an HDDVD from there with the original $10 of $10 google checkout coupon and had no problems. i received the movie within a week.

Dont know if anyone's seen this, but in this week's Sears ad, there is what looks like a mistake and Friday Night Lights HDDVD is included in their 2 for $15 sale. The Sears by me doesnt even carry HD DVD (only BluRay).

I went to Best Buy tonight and they pricematched - got 2 copies for $15 plus tax.

Today's Fry's Ad has a couple deals:

HD-DVD
World Trade Center - $24.99
Superman Returns - $24.99
Superman II - $14.99
The Fugitive - $14.99

Blu-Ray
World Trade Center - $24.99

Sale ends Tuesday IIRC.

Amazon.com lists Lucky Number Slevin as 1/16/07 for 27.99 HD DVD, but i found it at my local best buy today for 24.99. I had a reward zone 5 dollar coupon so i got it for twenty plus tax, but not bad. Don't know if all best buy's follow a street date for the high definition, but it was Best Buy in Middletown, NY. They also had Clerks II HD DVD for 24.99.

Kind of off topic, buy why does best buy push bluray so hard? I went to a local best buy today and they had 5 bluray players set-up... How many hd-dvd players were set-up? Zero... I asked one of the guys in magnolia if they had any hd-dvd players and he said "yeah we have quite a few bluray players set-up iaround the store" I did eventually find a couple of boxed Toshiba A2s at the bottom of a random shelf. There was an open box unit just sitting on the top shelf with a little POS pop-up information card. I just wonder if best buy has a hard-on for bluray or if hd-dvd has dropped the ball in the promotional efforts... I have also noticed similar situations at circuit city, FRYs, and HH-Greg...

(for the record, at the moment I own about 20 hd-dvds but I will probably eventually pick up a ps3 if toshiba doesn't start pushing their format more @ b&m locations)

[quote name='cyberlian']Kind of off topic, buy why does best buy push bluray so hard? I went to a local best buy today and they had 5 bluray players set-up... How many hd-dvd players were set-up? Zero... I asked one of the guys in magnolia if they had any hd-dvd players and he said "yeah we have quite a few bluray players set-up iaround the store" I did eventually find a couple of boxed Toshiba A2s at the bottom of a random shelf. There was an open box unit just sitting on the top shelf with a little POS pop-up information card. I just wonder if best buy has a hard-on for bluray or if hd-dvd has dropped the ball in the promotional efforts... I have also noticed similar situations at circuit city, FRYs, and HH-Greg...

(for the record, at the moment I own about 20 hd-dvds but I will probably eventually pick up a ps3 if toshiba doesn't start pushing their format more @ b&m locations)[/QUOTE]

I think Sony's spending quite a fortune to get all the major retailers to push Blu Ray. I can't say for sure but it seems likely.

[quote name='flatliner718']Amazon.com lists Lucky Number Slevin as 1/16/07 for 27.99 HD DVD, but i found it at my local best buy today for 24.99. I had a reward zone 5 dollar coupon so i got it for twenty plus tax, but not bad. Don't know if all best buy's follow a street date for the high definition, but it was Best Buy in Middletown, NY. They also had Clerks II HD DVD for 24.99.[/QUOTE]

Bestbuy.com lists it as a 1/16 release date as well.

Lucky #, Clerks II, and Pulse are set to be released on Tuesday. As the SD versions are already out, some stores put the HD-DVD/BR versions out 'early' thinking they just got a late shipment.

Has anyone else had any luck getting used HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs at Movie Stop?

I was able to snag Unforgive, Traffic, and Blazing Saddles for $28 total while they were having their B2G1 sale.

IF anyone wants any titles from the BB BOGO sale, PM Me. I am heading to the store in a few hours, and picking up underworld, monster house and click (and I need someone to split the last one with me) and/ OR blackhawk down...

I was looking for whatever the cost is plus $2.25 (shipping/paypal fee)

SO if you wanted lets say underworld evo: it would be $15 + tax + 2.25.
OR house of flying daggers - 12.50 + tax + 2.25

whatever, you guys know what the deal is, and im sure understand... so im looking to SPLIT the deal with you, but youve got to pay your shipping part.

BB has
CLICK
Underworld : Evo
Monster House
Talladega nights
- $30, but b1g1 free.

House of flying daggers
black hawk down
Kung FU hustle
- $25, but b1g1 free.

PM me!

If no one is interested, ill just pick up the "extra" in each category for evilbay.

[quote name='vcuram']Has anyone else had any luck getting used HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs at Movie Stop?

I was able to snag Unforgive, Traffic, and Blazing Saddles for $28 total while they were having their B2G1 sale.[/QUOTE]

I picked up 12 monkeys for 16.99 with some credit

[quote name='cyberlian']Kind of off topic, buy why does best buy push bluray so hard? I went to a local best buy today and they had 5 bluray players set-up... How many hd-dvd players were set-up? Zero... I asked one of the guys in magnolia if they had any hd-dvd players and he said "yeah we have quite a few bluray players set-up iaround the store" I did eventually find a couple of boxed Toshiba A2s at the bottom of a random shelf. There was an open box unit just sitting on the top shelf with a little POS pop-up information card. I just wonder if best buy has a hard-on for bluray or if hd-dvd has dropped the ball in the promotional efforts... I have also noticed similar situations at circuit city, FRYs, and HH-Greg...

(for the record, at the moment I own about 20 hd-dvds but I will probably eventually pick up a ps3 if toshiba doesn't start pushing their format more @ b&m locations)[/quote]
I believe Sony has a huge contract with BB. BB put in a pretty sizeable bid to get the largest shipment of PS3s. PS3 and bluray success for sony kind of go hand in hand so it makes sense to me. Either way since its all Sony Pictures on sale I assume it was Sony initiating the sale through Best Buy. There were probably all kinds of terms in their contract of certain promotions they have to run. As far as the players set up it makes sense if they have a contract to push bluray thats what they'll do. Im sure there are stores that carry more HDDVD in a similar fashion. I could be wrong about all this but My business sense tells me thats whats up. Wither way I just picked up Kung Fu Hustle and TN:BRB this morning, we'll see if I can pull the switcheroo later on...

Ordered on Sunday morning for in store pickup at Best Buy, House of Flying Daggers and Underworld for the BOGO. Get there today and they pulled the wrong movies (regular DVD) so he went to get the correct ones, which I already knew they were out of Underworld so I thought I was SOL. Ended giving me House of Flying Daggers for free because of the error and I didn't even have to complain!

Got Underworld, Monster House, BHD and Kung Fu Hustle. Used my 10$ rewards certificate and have just mailed my 10$ rebate on Underworld.
Total: $39 AR for 4 BD's. SWEET!

Haha, the people at my local best buy didnt even know about the b1g1 ad.

I ended up getting the last Kung Fu hustle from an employee who was holding it for himself, and took a rain check on Black Hawk Down. Thinking about gettin Underworld and House Of flying daggers/Click, but they dont have any of those available here >=O!!!

my local BB is cleaned out of all 7 titles, oh well, the only one i really wanted was House of Flying Daggers.

[quote name='guaava23']House of Flying Daggers is ranked the lowest in Picture Quality in the AVSforums.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=753726&page=1&pp=30

So far I have followed this and it is right on.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but supposedly it still looks better than the dvd. From the reviews it seems to be inconsistant, with some scenes actually looking like its supposed to and others just looking like a good dvd. I picked it up anyways since its my favorite movie out of the 7 and it was one of the 24.99 ones too. Reference quality sound though, I think it won dvdtalk's best blu-ray sound for the year award.

Best Buys BOGO deal yielded me the final result of Kung Fu Hustle, Sleepy Hollow, Stargate, and Idiocracy(sd-dvd) for a total of $37.83 could have milked it for more too.

For anyone interested, you can easily score a $30 PS3 or other game by copping two of these movies at BB then return them to another store in exchange for a game. SCORE!

I picked up BHD, Monster House, Underworld, and KFH. I already have KFH and BHD on SD but since they were rated high I had to give them a shot. Time to work out my 46" Sony LCD 1080P set.

Posted this in the Xbox 360 HD Add-On Thread and thought I'd throw it up here, too...

Have SEALED copies of

Serenity (HD-DVD)
Lord of War (Blu-Ray)
Silent Hill (Blu-Ray)

for 1:1 TRADE if anyone's interested.

Grabbed Pulse and Clerks II for $20 each at Frys...great deal! Too bad they didn't have any copies of Employee of the Month or Resident Evil for BR. All BR releases never arrived.

Industry Frys is always out of the good titles when I go to check. I guess that's a good thing for the format, but a bad thing for me!

[quote name='metrognome']Best Buys BOGO deal yielded me the final result of Kung Fu Hustle, Sleepy Hollow, Stargate, and Idiocracy(sd-dvd) for a total of $37.83 could have milked it for more too.

For anyone interested, you can easily score a $30 PS3 or other game by copping two of these movies at BB then return them to another store in exchange for a game. SCORE![/QUOTE]

You are ONLY allowed 3 returns w/o a reciept per year at Best Buy. Also, this is illegal and should not be discussed here.

I still passed on the B1G1 as I hope they run this again with BETTER movies. Black Hawk Down seems good, but I already have the 3 disc set and it is damn good on that.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Start HD & BR movie collection is EXPENSIVE. I rather way a year or 2 to pickup & lots movies price drop by that time.[/QUOTE]

I dont know about that. You can find deals out there. I havent paid more than $14 for a movie so far, including Friday NIght Lights and Cinderella Man for less than $8.00 each

Got Kung Fu Hustle/HoFD. Yeah, Flying Daggers might not be great quality but it stars Samanosuke, so what the hell. For the price, I'll bite. Damn my BB for not having anything eligible for the rebate.

[quote name='sman113']I dont know about that. You can find deals out there. I havent paid more than $14 for a movie so far, including Friday NIght Lights and Cinderella Man for less than $8.00 each[/QUOTE]

Did you get Cinderella Man at Target? I heard on CAG that it was marked down but my Target didn't have any. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back