HD-DVD clearly outshines Blu-ray

The Centre Daily Times - the new leader in home theater journalism.

Cough.

I don't know...I'll wait until both have been out a while before I declare my personal winner. And if I buy ANYTHING, it'll be one of those players that runs both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

Not that I'd complain if it were accurate, mind you. I enjoy seeing Sony's "forced formats" going up in smoke.

Yeah, I'll go with a dual format reader when they come down in price. But if I had to pick just one, I'd go with HD-DVD. No way I'm backing a Sony proprietary format.

I would agree that HD-DVD would win in this from quality alone. However, even if I had a HD set, I would wait a few years anyway, there's not much reason to buy everything over again.

[quote name='evanft']This thread makes my pee-pee GRRROOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Anything we can do to help you out there evanft. You'll be able to impress those ladies even more now.....

I dont collect DVD's, nor do I have an HD TV, so this decision couldn't affect me any less. Still, you gotta root for the cheaper format that's backwards compatable...

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']I dont collect DVD's, nor do I have an HD TV, so this decision couldn't affect me any less. Still, you gotta root for the cheaper format that's backwards compatable...[/QUOTE]Pretty sure both are backwards compatible.

[quote name='jmcc']Pretty sure both are backwards compatible.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Wikipedia entry on HD DVD']HD DVD can offer both the current DVD and HD DVD formats on one disc, which means that special HD DVD discs will play in any DVD player, old or the new high definition players. This makes retail marketing and shelf space management easier. For consumers, shopping is simplified as they can simply buy a movie that plays in any DVD player in their house, standard definition or high definition.[/quote]

Blu ray cannot play in any old DVD player, HD DVD can

[quote name='evanft']So basically, HDDVD is like SACD, and BR is like DVDA.[/QUOTE]Do what now?

The third option should be "Both formats suck, I'll stick with DVD for the moment". Even when I get an HD set, which will be fairly soon, I wouldn't waste my money on either HD movie format for a long time.

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']Blu ray cannot play in any old DVD player, HD DVD can[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's not quite true. HD-DVD is trying to sneak into your home by being pressed on the previously unused side of a DVD. So when you flip the DVD over, it's an HD-DVD, ready for your new HD-DVD player. The way you say it, it makes it seem like this is the standard case, which it isn't - only some studios are opting for this route.

[quote name='alongx']Yeah, that's not quite true. HD-DVD is trying to sneak into your home by being pressed on the previously unused side of a DVD.[/QUOTE]

and BR is trying to sneak its way into your home via the PS3

[quote name='alongx']The third option should be "Both formats suck, I'll stick with DVD for the moment". Even when I get an HD set, which will be fairly soon, I wouldn't waste my money on either HD movie format for a long time.[/QUOTE]

Meh- I never bought into the DVD's- don't have a huge collection- so the opportunity now to create a huge collection in hi-def appeals to me. I used to have a lot of VCR tapes and didn't get a DVD player until 2003. Figure- I was "behind" the curve last time- now with these new formats I can get what I want via disc before it all goes digital.

That and I knew that the movie studios were going to pull this on everyone who bought into DVD's. I'm sure there will be something better than Blu-ray or HD-DVD in 5-7 years, but I'm buying into the higher res movies now.

This thread is obviously a little biased but who cares. Sony has put a ton of money into blu ray and are trying to improve it in every way they can. I'm hoping they can pull it off.

This is like, what, the 10th thread about this?

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']Blu ray cannot play in any old DVD player, HD DVD can[/QUOTE]

Only HD-DVDs that are pressed with a DVD layer can play in regular DVD players. Similar to the fact that hybrid SACDs could play in regular CD players.

I like your avatar friedram. That's one of my favorite PC games/series.

Oh, and I have an HD tv and don't really care about the hi def dvds. I kind of like watching movies and seeing the little pops and imperfections at the theater.

Dumb DeDumb Da

HD-DVD is just a Higher capcity of space and from what I heard Blu-ray is much bigger. Yes HD would stand for Hard Drive or High Definition.....or whatever the point is ........

When video is recorded it is saved as billions of raw images to create a video file. In this case of color there is filters used to display RBG and thus we have
Raw video at RBG. What is left is a enormous file tallying up to 200, 400, or even 900 GIGS. Afterwards the file endcoded/compressed into a standard video type like WMV, MOV, MPEG, or even one of the many AVI types that is able to save on a 900MB CD or even a 4GIG DVD.

A DVD video file type is vob/ogg which is MPEG and sound files is mostly dolby AC3 sound. Most of the data is the sound data rather then the video data.

This new blu-ray or HD DVD is just a disc capable of carrying more data and with that they are able to have the raw video encoded/compressed
towards it's orignal standard which is the goal of DVD.

To be honest this is bull crap. I am happy watching my 700MB file movies in my computer or VCD files on a DVD player. In fact DVD players are so quiet when using a regular disk I barely buy any DVD.

Also most DVD in your home is a bootleg or copy and recently I have been seeing video errors in the more newer DVD videos.

The point is they are going to make the shift to HD/blu-Ray some time in the net three years and force consumers to upgrade yet again.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']Dumb DeDumb Da

HD-DVD is just a Higher capcity of space and from what I heard Blu-ray is much bigger. Yes HD would stand for Hard Drive or High Definition.....or whatever the point is ........

When video is recorded it is saved as billions of raw images to create a video file. In this case of color there is filters used to display RBG and thus we have
Raw video at RBG. What is left is a enormous file tallying up to 200, 400, or even 900 GIGS. Afterwards the file endcoded/compressed into a standard video type like WMV, MOV, MPEG, or even one of the many AVI types that is able to save on a 900MB CD or even a 4GIG DVD.

A DVD video file type is vob/ogg which is MPEG and sound files is mostly dolby AC3 sound. Most of the data is the sound data rather then the video data.

This new blu-ray or HD DVD is just a disc capable of carrying more data and with that they are able to have the raw video encoded/compressed
towards it's orignal standard which is the goal of DVD.

To be honest this is bull crap. I am happy watching my 700MB file movies in my computer or VCD files on a DVD player. In fact DVD players are so quiet when using a regular disk I barely buy any DVD.

Also most DVD in your home is a bootleg or copy and recently I have been seeing video errors in the more newer DVD videos.

The point is they are going to make the shift to HD/blu-Ray some time in the net three years and force consumers to upgrade yet again.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what 35 mm takes up uncompressed in digital data. Now we know the goal that has to be reached in digital storage.

[quote name='evanft']So basically, HDDVD is like SACD, and BR is like DVDA.[/QUOTE]

I laughed out loud, guess I'm the only one who thinks of DVDA with my head in the gutter.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']
.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, most of the DVD in MY home aren't bootleg or copy, but they look fantastic in 480p on my 3 year old HDTV compared to any VCD.

My TV has a DVI but no HDMI port which , as I understand, may preclude me from this new format so I think I'll stick with regular old DVD's for a few more years cause they still look great. And I refuse to pay more than $14.99 for a movie regardless of the resolution.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']I laughed out loud, guess I'm the only one who thinks of DVDA with my head in the gutter.[/quote]

Nope, I like South Park too.:lol:

[quote name='Bloodbooger']I laughed out loud, guess I'm the only one who thinks of DVDA with my head in the gutter.[/quote]

Hahaha, I didn't even think of that when I saw it. I guess what he's saying is that Blu-Ray packs in much more information, but will be painful for the consumer...;)

I tried to pirate once, but the FBI showed up when my friends were doing it and showed me the error of my ways- it is my fault that Lar's of Metalica had to wait two weeks for the solid gold shark tank- I'm a BASTARD. All we wanted to do was to come up with inspiration for our band so we could beat Cartman.

Wait- that was Southpark?

Heh-

Seriously though, I buy every game that I play and for DVD's I tend to just do the blockbuster route (netflix clone) and wait for the day that there are more HD-DVD or Blue ray disks out for non-BS pricing (I know... I'll be waiting for a long long time).

bread's done
Back