HD DVD combo vs. non combo discs

Jgel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I was just reading the Amazon BOGO sale and there are a lot of people selling their combo HD DVD'd for the non combo version. Why is that. Are they different? What is the difference????

They don't have the DVD side.

I don't dig double-sided disc (they are the first in my collection to get screwed up for some reason no matter how well I treat them) and this sale was the perfect time to replace them.

[quote name='Jgel']I was just reading the Amazon BOGO sale and there are a lot of people selling their combo HD DVD'd for the non combo version. Why is that. Are they different? What is the difference????[/quote]

Combo HDDVDs have the HD content on one side, and the normal (SD) content on the other. They can be used in either HD or SD drives. The main difference is the HD combo disks usually cost a bit more, so they might be selling the combo disks to get the normal HD only disks (and pocket the difference).

IIRC, there's been a number of playback problems w/ some Combo discs on a few players. Hollywoodland and Children of Men come to mind. That could be it. Or maybe they just *really* like disc art.
The Combo discs are more expensive, but I don't see how that would be a concern for someone who already owns one.

[quote name='Chimaera']IIRC, there's been a number of playback problems w/ some Combo discs on a few players. Hollywoodland and Children of Men come to mind. That could be it. Or maybe they just *really* like disc art.
The Combo discs are more expensive, but I don't see how that would be a concern for someone who already owns one.[/quote]

A number of problems is two discs? I can think of four out of how many discs there are out there..

Combos were introduced to lure people who DIDNT have hd dvd get the hdvd version, incase they did end up getting hd dvd they wouldnt have to rebuy.

And since combo's have slowly been phased out by some studio's, they may become rare.

I thought it was interesting that The Bourne Ultimatum was released on the Combo format, especially considering that the first two are non combo.

[quote name='dack']I thought it was interesting that The Bourne Ultimatum was released on the Combo format, especially considering that the first two are non combo.[/QUOTE]
That is often done with new releases as an incentive to people who only own DVD players to pick it up even if they don't own an HD DVD player now. Problem is, they're priced significantly higher that it's really not much of an "incentive." The combo debate is pretty endless...I'm not a big fan of them, myself. However, if I already own the combo I will keep them rather than sell them off and rebuying as an HD DVD-only disc.

The first two are not combos because they are older/catalog titles that have been out on DVD for a while already.

[quote name='dack']I thought it was interesting that The Bourne Ultimatum was released on the Combo format, especially considering that the first two are non combo.[/QUOTE]

That's nothing surprising. Universal releases all of their day-and-date releases in a combo format.

Yeah, that's true, Universal has been doing Combos with all new releases.

I could go either way on Combos. I like to have Disc art and all features on the same side, but I admit it has come in handy if I'm bringing a movie to a friends house. Most of them don't have HD DVD players, so I can't bring any of my HD DVDs besides the combo ones.

true about the disk getting screwed about really easy on the combo disc....plus its kind of a psychological thing for me...i associate double sided disc as cheap ass disc...like the 5 buck disc with 25 westerns on each side....

but thats just me...:shock:

I would think any double-sided disc is more likely to break or not work in the first place. Plus the content is stored in less physical space so it may be more fragile.

I guess, Im the only one who likes combos. hehehe! Never had a problems with all my combos. Everything works fine on my 360 HD-DVD player add on. What I like about combos when i out of town, i can play it on my portable DVD player. Can also borrow by my brothers, sisters, relatives, which they didn't have HD-DVD player yet, but can watch on their DVD player.

I'd rather have the combo disc as we have regular dvd players in every room with a TV, and just one HD-DVD player. So, then my wife won't complain about having to watch every movie I buy in the basement theater room. ;)

I've never had a problem with any combo discs, if the price is the same for combo and non-combo I always get the combo. Then I can bring it over my parents house and they can watch it too.

[quote name='munch']I'm getting the Children of Men combo disc for Christmas. Should I be worried?[/QUOTE]

No, they fixed the problem with those combo's a long time ago.

I'm really indifferent about the combo situation. If their is both a non-combo and combo version out and the combo costs more then I'll buy the non-combo. However, re-purchasing non-combos to replace your combos is ridiculous. Is disc art really that big of a deal? And also keep in mind this is coming from someone that is very anal about their dvd's.

I'm personally not a fan because I have no use for the DVD side of the combo. One of the reasons I went to the HD format was so my sister would stop "borrowing" my movies and never returning them. haha

I'd personally have the choice of saving $7 and just having the HD content. I know I went through three copies of Children of Men until I just decided to give up and wait for a few months to see if they could fix the problem. I bought a copy of the movie two months after it came out and finally got to see it, while I was literally counting down the days until it came out only to be disappointed by failing discs.

Now that I'm format neutral, I'll buy the Blu-ray copy if the HD-DVD is a combo format ten times out of ten.

bread's done
Back