HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
went to my other local hollywood video today and turns out they dont even have a HD section...balls...ill go back to the other one in a few days and see if they put michael clayton and eastern promises on the for sale rack yet (still for rent when my wife went)

picked up Hot Fuzz, I Am Legend (pre-order), Clerks 2. The Moody Blues and Blazing Saddles as gifts for my parents. im really racking up on hd-dvds

Was at Fry's today and most of their prices were the same or cheaper than Amazon's pre-shipping prices. Wasn't sure where to put this, as it seems like a nationwide thing (As nationwide as you'd consider Fry's) so I figured here would be best? Worth checking out if you are near one.

Some examples that I bought...
Blade Runner (5 disc) - $19.99
Clerks 2 - $9.99
Ult. Matrix Tril - $44.99
Unforgiven - $13.99
Payback (Director's Cut) - $9.99
Goodfellas - $9.99
and the JL:New Frontier - $13.99
I didn't get any but I saw that at least 2 of the Harry Potters were $13.99.
Strange thing is, their BSG, Heroes and Miss:Imp boxes were all still full retail. Still waitin for those to drop...

BTW: Should this have been a thread or added to a different thread? Still somewhat new to the actual posting of stuff...

[quote name='Darthjer']Was at Fry's today and most of their prices were the same or cheaper than Amazon's pre-shipping prices. Wasn't sure where to put this, as it seems like a nationwide thing (As nationwide as you'd consider Fry's) so I figured here would be best? Worth checking out if you are near one.

Some examples that I bought...
Blade Runner (5 disc) - $19.99
Clerks 2 - $9.99
Ult. Matrix Tril - $44.99
Unforgiven - $13.99
Payback (Director's Cut) - $9.99
Goodfellas - $9.99
and the JL:New Frontier - $13.99
I didn't get any but I saw that at least 2 of the Harry Potters were $13.99.
Strange thing is, their BSG, Heroes and Miss:Imp boxes were all still full retail. Still waitin for those to drop...

BTW: Should this have been a thread or added to a different thread? Still somewhat new to the actual posting of stuff...[/QUOTE]

Something like that could go in its own thread (as long as it isn't already posted), but thanks regardless.

Too bad there's no Fry's here so it's irrelevant for me.

Just a heads up, I went into FYE today, to see if they had reduced their HD-DVD prices, and they told me they had sent them all back, except for the used ones(which were all priced at 15.99 anyway). Just a heads up that if yours has some, dont delay on buying them.

It never fucking ends.

I received another package from WHV. This time it contained Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same.

And I can confirm that the reprint is missing the Radio Profile Spotlight by Cameron Crowe (1976)

(Recalled version on the left and Reprint version on the right)

[quote name='thrustbucket']I have around 15 combos and none of them have given me a lick of trouble.[/QUOTE]

Same here, except I dont have all 15 just watched close to that. I have about 5-6 of em. Not a single issue ever, unless you call the starting time of the DVD player an issue!

Elizabeth HD $17 at the local walmart... Wife loved the movie I have yet to watch it. I am curious if thats worth it, probably not given the deals that have come and gone.... It might help someone though if their Wally World has the same deal (probably unlikely).

[quote name='Snake2715']Elizabeth HD $17 at the local walmart... Wife loved the movie I have yet to watch it. I am curious if thats worth it, probably not given the deals that have come and gone.... It might help someone though if their Wally World has the same deal (probably unlikely).[/QUOTE]

Which one are you talking about?

Amazon has the original for $12.95 and The Golden Age for $17.95

I was all over that German T2, but having suppliments (both text and audio) in German with no alternate track kind of sours me on it. I'll wait for more feedback.

I forget where the thread for HD Movie Source was, but my $20 Saw III Dutch HD DVD came in today. Bought it Thursday morning, so it was pretty fast shipping for being standard.

As people seen already, the box itself is in Dutch (if you haven't, it's released by the same group who released 1408 in Dutch). Upon popping in the disc, some kind of copyright thing comes up in Dutch. The disc menu reminds me of a regular DVD as opposed to a HD DVD which can be annoying, but whatever (It's so non-interactive, and there's no pop-up during the movie, only way to go to the menu is leaving the movie).

There's 2 Audio options, Dolby Digital & DTS, both English, with 2 Subtitle options, Dutch On & Dutch Off. Everything audio wise is English, including special features, but the only real annoyance by me is when you play the commentary (like I am right now), the commentary is actually translated into Dutch subs...but I usually never actively watch the movie while listening to commentary, so whatever. Well worth the $19.95 + $2.99 ship, still cheaper then Amazon.com's $26.95 for the Blu-ray. HD DVD #14 for me.

Edit: I was able to remove the subtitles for the commentary. I was reading about the DVD and Blu-ray, and I wish the other commentary tracks were on this too, but oh well.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']Don't know where to post this, but I got a bunch of extra single disc HD DVD cases, if anyone is interested drop me a pm[/QUOTE]

Sent you a PM

[quote name='wormraper']kinda glad in a way. On xploited.com you can get the UK version (the french version really) for $21.95 instead of the 40 odd bucks for the new German one.[/quote]

Thats the copy I got a couple weeks ago. After watching it I was blown away at how good it looked for a 10+ year old movie.

[quote name='guyver2077']hows that justice league? its currently 16.99 on amazon (same as dvd)[/quote]

I should be getting mine tomorrow, its gotten pretty positive reviews. Its more of an adult cartoon as opposed to the Cartoon Network Justice League.

[quote name='wormraper']kinda glad in a way. On xploited.com you can get the UK version (the french version really) for $21.95 instead of the 40 odd bucks for the new German one.[/QUOTE]

The UK version is just a gimped French edition.

The French edition has the theatrical and director's cut on 2 disc while the UK version is only disc 2 from the French one.

---------

Speaking of Xploited, I just ordered Brotherhood Of The Wolf and Rescue Dawn from them this morning. :)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I should be getting mine tomorrow, its gotten pretty positive reviews. Its more of an adult cartoon as opposed to the Cartoon Network Justice League.[/quote]I hope mine will ship shortly, as I asked them to change the shipping preference to ship items as they became available, and it was on the same order as Appleseed EX.

They just released most of my order that was waiting around for The Pianist to come back in-stock, which had Beowulf, Eastern Promises, MI 3, Black Snake Moan and Zodiac on it.

I'm almost done with the orders I placed with DD for the $9.98 HD-DVD's, as MI1, Payback and The Warriors showed up today. Replacement MI2 is on the way.

hey guys im sorry if this a repeat question but i looked through the pages but found nothing but i was wondering if any UFC fans know if they cancelled Ultimate Fighting Championship: The Best of 2007 on HD-DVD

[quote name='joker______']hey guys im sorry if this a repeat question but i looked through the pages but found nothing but i was wondering if any UFC fans know if they cancelled Ultimate Fighting Championship: The Best of 2007 on HD-DVD[/QUOTE]

They did and First Look Studios sucks.

I'm so glad I was awake early this morning.

I got Into The Wild from EzyDVD for only 7.20 AUD, even after shipping to America, the final total was only 12.70 AUD ($11.79)

[quote name='guyver2077']as expected bestbuytradein prices suck..

$44 for my a2? $66 with 11-20 movies?

fuck you[/QUOTE]

Were you just curious or do you really want to get rid of your movies? I may be interested in a few if you were serious. If you were just curious, then carry on.

So as I was buying some severely discounted HD-DVDs yesterday, the clerk decided to make the comment "I didn't even know anybody HAD an HD-DVD player anymore."

The fact that the same movies I was purchasing on HDDVD were 75% cheaper than their Blu-ray counterparts apparently didn't mean much to guy.

[quote name='guyver2077']as expected bestbuytradein prices suck..

$44 for my a2? $66 with 11-20 movies?

fuck you[/QUOTE]

I just checked that, too... that's hilarious! So like $1 per movie!

[quote name='reibeatall']So as I was buying some severely discounted HD-DVDs yesterday, the clerk decided to make the comment "I didn't even know anybody HAD an HD-DVD player anymore."

The fact that the same movies I was purchasing on HDDVD were 75% cheaper than their Blu-ray counterparts apparently didn't mean much to guy.[/QUOTE]

What store is this, I like severely discounted movies.

[quote name='Sporadic']I'm so glad I was awake early this morning.

I got Into The Wild from EzyDVD for only 7.20 AUD, even after shipping to America, the final total was only 12.70 AUD ($11.79)[/quote]

Was this like a one time deal? I really want this movie and at that price it just makes it worse.

[quote name='twanky']Was this like a one time deal? I really want this movie and at that price it just makes it worse.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure but it seems like that price was a fluke.

It was active for a grand total of a few hours, the price was then bumped up, went to backorder and now it's "No Longer Available" with the title pulled off of the site completely.

My order is still pending though.

[quote name='reibeatall']So as I was buying some severely discounted HD-DVDs yesterday, the clerk decided to make the comment "I didn't even know anybody HAD an HD-DVD player anymore."
[/QUOTE]

Gotta love comments like that, I mean we all know every Toshiba HD-DVD unit spontaneously burst into flames the evening of 2/19/08... (the 360s were already smoking ;) )

Does anyone know what's up with Best Buy's prices? It seems like every couple of days or so their HD DVD prices fluctuate. I picked up Lucky # Slevin for $9.99 via an in-store/online price match and went back a few days later to do the same on a few others only to realize the prices were severely different than what they were just days before...

[quote name='xMATTxEDGEx']Does anyone know what's up with Best Buy's prices? It seems like every couple of days or so their HD DVD prices fluctuate. I picked up Lucky # Slevin for $9.99 via an in-store/online price match and went back a few days later to do the same on a few others only to realize the prices were severely different than what they were just days before...[/quote]

I don't know but my local Hastings had a lot of titles for $14.99 and I picked up some with store credit, its store credit so $14.99 was ok! Anyway, I went in today and they jacked up to $16.99. What happened, prices should go down not up!

Broke down and order We were Soldiers from Amazon to qualify for free shipping with some other stuff.

I really wish we would see lower prices on titles!

what does everyone recommend for players? all i have is the 360 add-on, but i'd like to grab a stand alone player before stores are completely out.

You're a bit lat to be looking for players, really, many of the good deals are almost gone. Best Buy had the Toshiba A35 for $149 but they're basically gone (Amazon stocks them at $299! after weeks at $230ish-- they were the highest end 3rd gen player). At best you might find a few A30's for around $120, not bad players at all. If you happen to find any of the 2nd generation units (A2/A20/XA2) they seem to be the most dependable in terms of playing discs without problems, etc. The 3rd generation seems a bit glitchier about reading discs well (Not saying they're bad-- they probably would've been fine with a few more firmware updates, but I doubt we'll see those now!)

everytime i walk in my local walmart the case where the hd dvds are kept looks raped..wtf? is there something going on i dont know about?!?!

just ordered the last hd dvd i wanted to buy, guess i'm done unless caddyshack drops to $10

:(

got 143 movies and 13 more in the mail

bread's done
Back