HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
I just left a Hollywood Video store where they still had a reasonable selectio oh HD DVDs left. I figured they'd still be 2 for $20. I grab The Host and Smokin Aces, and the clerk tells me they're buy 2 get 2 free. I wanted The Host, Smokin Aces too. They didn't really have much else that I wanted. They had the likes of Failure to Launch, Scary Movie 4, Constantine, The Fast and the Furious, The Amateurs, Babel, Flags of our Fathers, We are Marshall, World Trade Center, and When We Were Soldiers. The other stuff they had, I had already. I ended up leaving with nothing because I didn't want to get something I didn't want for the sake of getting something. Even if it was "free". I'll probably go back and stare at their selection again until I decide on 4. Any help with this decision?

[quote name='darkasian']I just left a Hollywood Video store where they still had a reasonable selectio oh HD DVDs left. I figured they'd still be 2 for $20. I grab The Host and Smokin Aces, and the clerk tells me they're buy 2 get 2 free. I wanted The Host, Smokin Aces too. They didn't really have much else that I wanted. They had the likes of Failure to Launch, Scary Movie 4, Constantine, The Fast and the Furious, The Amateurs, Babel, Flags of our Fathers, We are Marshall, World Trade Center, and When We Were Soldiers. The other stuff they had, I had already. I ended up leaving with nothing because I didn't want to get something I didn't want for the sake of getting something. Even if it was "free". I'll probably go back and stare at their selection again until I decide on 4. Any help with this decision?[/quote]

Babel and When We Were Soldiers

[quote name='banodyne']In the terms it was stated that they had the right to offer substitutions. So a little bummed.

Of the ones I originally chose, I got:
Children of Men
Full Metal Jacket

My substitions included:
Billy Madison (an OK choice but not screaming for the HD treatment)
Four Brothers (I didn't even want to see this for free on cable)
Miami Vice (did I piss off someone at Toshiba?)[/QUOTE]

Children of Men was never a choice on that form... heck, you got free movies, so no need to feel bummed... 4 Brothers wasnt bad, just not memorable

[quote name='darkasian']I just left a Hollywood Video store where they still had a reasonable selectio oh HD DVDs left. I figured they'd still be 2 for $20. I grab The Host and Smokin Aces, and the clerk tells me they're buy 2 get 2 free.[/quote]

[quote name='thrustbucket']I picked up 4 HD DVD's on their b2g2f sale just the other day.[/quote]

Did you guys get 2 for $20 with the buy 2 get 2? The Hollywood Video near me is 2 for $30 w/b2g2. :whistle2:?

Just got my free hd dvds today
The Departed
Blood Diamond
Red Dragon
Sleepy Hollow
Top Gun

All good choices.

The way I was told by the Hollywood Video clerk told me the 2 for $20 no longer applies. The previously viewed HD DVDs have been lumped into their on going promo of buy 2 get 2 previously viewed dvds free right now.

I just got my 5 free HD DVD's today .

I sent my info on the very last day of the offer so everyone should have there HD DVD's now that I have mine .

Harry Potter 5
Knocked Up
Miami Vice
Sleepy Hallow [:)]
Transformers

Only 2 repeats and 1 undesired .

so i finally got my 5 free hd dvd
sent in back in april/march..so it took several months, but it was none of the dvd's i chose on the list, i assume they ran out of them

i got

knocked up
last samuri
norbit---i wish it was transformers instead
bourne identity
harry potter-order of phoenix

Got my 5 today, I submitted the form on the last day to, got

Knocked Up
Aeon Flux
Red Dragon
Children of Men
Full Metal Jacket.

Only got 2 I already had, Children of Men (awesome movie) and Full Metal Jacket (I have the special edition).

Not too bad, considering my HD-DVD add-on was free (Amazon $50 voucher deal) I've got nothing to complain about.

Got Mine today.

Norbit
The Perfect Storm
Knocked Up
Children of Men
Miami Vice

I'm mad!!! A lot of people are getting Aeon and that's the only one I wanted in my entire list.

To those wanting to unload their doubled disks..... I'll take a copy of Aeon Flux, Billy Madison, Top Gun, or Full Metal Jacket off your hands. PM for payment details.

Thanks

Got my 5 yesterday:

Transformers (cool)
Harry Potter 5 (cool)
Hustle and Flow (haven't seen it so we'll see)
Last Samurai (not really interested in - will trade if someone is interested)
Bourne Identity (already have)

I understand the not being able to get the ones that were chosen, but don't they know that Bourne Identity was packed with like all of the HD-DVD players around that time so most people would have it? That one was pretty much a waste.

Anyways - if anyone wants to trade for Bourne Identity, Last Samurai or Hustle and Flow, send me a PM

If anybody wants to trade some of their duplicates, I'm looking to swap out

The Departed (sealed)
Bourne Identity (sealed)
The Hurricane (watched once)
The Jerk (watched once)

If somebody wants to buy them I'm thinking about $9 plus shipping? PM any offers.

My 5 were mailed and received this week; picked them up today at dad's house.

I ordered:
Aeon Flux (really wanted this)
The Hulk
Swordfish
Darkman
Firewall or U2... can't remember

I received:

Norbit (?!?!)
Smoking Aces (UPC is damaged)
The Departed
Blood Diamond
Children of Men (UPC is damaged)

I'm not happy about this but at this point in time I'm not exactly sure there's anything i can do about it other than try to sell these.

I finally got my 5 yesterday....

Requested:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Italian Job
Pitch Black
The Frighteners
Troy

Received:
Bourne Identity (already have regular DVD)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix - Combo (already have the regular DVD)
Transformers (already have HD-DVD)
The Last Samurai (I have gone 5 years without seeing and still no desire at all)
Knocked Up - Combo (already saw and on my list of top 50 worst movies ever)

I am not complaining, I appreciate free things.
All I have to say is... I have to find where the trade list is now on the new website.

[quote name='Cameron4All']
Received:
Bourne Identity (already have regular DVD)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix - Combo (already have the regular DVD)
Transformers (already have HD-DVD)
The Last Samurai (I have gone 5 years without seeing and still no desire at all)
Knocked Up - Combo (already saw and on my list of top 50 worst movies ever)

I am not complaining, I appreciate free things.
All I have to say is... I have to find where the trade list is now on the new website.[/QUOTE]

what the shit? upgrade the ones you have on regular dvd (ie sell the dvd) and watch the last samurai

Will trade EASTERN PROMISES (Combo) or THE DEPARTED (Combo) for a copy of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (HD-DVD Combo).

Anyone game?

i got my freebies today, and got none of the movies i requested. figures since i sent the rebate form out on the last day.

on a side note, anyone want to trade an hd-dvd for The Warriors (director's cut)?

they forgot to put the suite number for my work on the package (even though it was on the form) and now my 5 are lost in limbo, don't think they're ever coming :(

My free hd-dvds came today...

requested:
Babel
Pitch Black
Full Metal Jacket
The Frighteners
Troy

received:
The Last Samurai
The Bourne Identity
Full Metal Jacket
Knocked Up
A Mighty Heart

Going to keep Full Metal Jacket for sure, as well as Knocked Up. Should I keep the others? I know The Last Samurai is good and Bourne, but I'm not really in the know about A Mighty Heart. Wish I could have gotten The Departed or Transformers or even Blood Diamond. Oh well they were free.

Forgot to mention... I think its kinda lame that some of the UPCs were damaged... both Knocked UP and Bourne were on mine grrr I like keeping my covers in good condition

yea they do it so you can't return them to the store since the store has to scan in the upc to do a return most of the time

i guess its easier than having a separate UPC for free movies

it could cost the studio money too like if i return it to best buy and then best buy returns it to universal, universal has to give money to best buy or whatever for the unsold movie

[quote name='woahitsreeo']
Forgot to mention... I think its kinda lame that some of the UPCs were damaged... both Knocked UP and Bourne were on mine grrr I like keeping my covers in good condition[/QUOTE]

All Universal freebies are 'defaced' in some way on the barcode .

Anyone know of a good HD BD combo player? I looked on amazon and saw

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-UP...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215546406&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/LG-BH200-Supe...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215546406&sr=8-1

Little high for me and the Samsung someone said is not Dolby TrueHD multi-channel capable so that and the price will end up keeping me from getting it. The LG however is only $499.72. Still a little high from me. I'm only looking for one to have in another room. I remember some being posted around the time they said HD-DVDs were no longer going to be made. I just really dont care to go through all the posts and look for it. Also I remember someone had said a new one should be comeing out some time. Anyway anyone know of a good one that is out or that I could keep an eye on? Really dont want to pay alot of money but I may consider it. However it will be some time because I well end up saveing for it and not putting it on the credit card.

I got my 5 free hd dvds today and I sent my form on the last day. Almost forgot about it....

Received:
The Perfect Storm
A mighty heart
Knocked Up (already have on dvd, but wanted the hd version)
Miami Vice
Children of Men (already have, but great movie)

can't complain. free is free.

mine came in about a week ago, but i just picked it up from my brother's house. i got:

rundown
knocked up (wanted this)
children of men (dangit, bought this during inet's clearance)
alexander revisited
four brothers

only one dupe so im happy

Sent mine in the last day, as well, and got my movies today. I actually had my request kicked back to me around May or so, so I was pleasantly surprised. Anyway, got...

Transformers
Miami Vice
Perfect Storm
Hustle and Flow
Children of Men

Except for Transformers, they will be going up on my trade list. Not interested in the middle three, and I already have Children of Men.

Received my second batch this week, got nothing I requested:

Top Gun
Last Samurai
Departed
Alexander Revisited (2 disc)
Rundown (UPC slashed)

Probably won't watch these, PM if interested.

[quote name='bob330i']Received my second batch this week, got nothing I requested:

Top Gun
Last Samurai
Departed
Alexander Revisited (2 disc)
Rundown (UPC slashed)

Probably won't watch these, PM if interested.[/QUOTE]
"Top Gun" looks really good, and the sound is absolutely phenomenal. Give it a try. Just remember to turn up the volume during the aerial "dogfight" scenes.

$78 A-3 player, open box. I'm tempted. Don't ask me where because I won't tell. I'm leaning more towards getting it than not. Planned on getting a combo to save space, but it might be cheaper to just get separate players.

So I didn't see a decent deal, rather a common one. I saw it at a retail store actually too. While tracking down a salesperson in the electronic section, I got distracted by the HD DVD promo playing on a tv.

[quote name='Bezerker']I dont even watch Nip Tuck, but Moviestop had the Season 4 set for $5.99 used. Worse case scenario I can trade it to FYE for $9.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I'll trade you The Bourne Identity or The Departed for it.
Sealed!

[quote name='techstar25']"Top Gun" looks really good, and the sound is absolutely phenomenal. Give it a try. Just remember to turn up the volume during the aerial "dogfight" scenes.[/QUOTE]

That was the one I'm debating on. If I don't have any takers, I'll crack it open.

[quote name='Bezerker']I dont even watch Nip Tuck, but Moviestop had the Season 4 set for $5.99 used. Worse case scenario I can trade it to FYE for $9.[/QUOTE]

Shoot, if you dont' want it, I'll take it off your hands. I wish our moviestop didn't send everything to the "Big 5" as they keep telling me.

I'd kill for a cheap version of Hulk, but Ebay keeps failing me...

Anyone know where you can get Pitch Black HD-DVD cheap? I have not seen it for under $20. I thought it would be cheap since it was a give away at one point, but even on e-bay it is $20+.

I'm trying to sell my Bridge To Terabithia (Italian import) & The Prestige (UK import). Both are in great condition and I'll sell them for $47 shipped via USPS First Class with DC number

[quote name='Stryffe2004']Anyone know where you can get Pitch Black HD-DVD cheap? I have not seen it for under $20. I thought it would be cheap since it was a give away at one point, but even on e-bay it is $20+.[/quote]

Hey man gonna send you a PM of where you can get it for at the most $10. I just got a copy for $8 shipped so it cost me like $5 for the movie itself if you want to look at it that way.

[quote name='Lucky13']Hey man gonna send you a PM of where you can get it for at the most $10. I just got a copy for $8 shipped so it cost me like $5 for the movie itself if you want to look at it that way.[/quote]

May I also get that PM? Been looking for Pitch Black for forever....

What ever happend to 10-15 dollar HD-DVDs online? I remember places cutting prices on a lot of them to try and get rid of stock(that they ended up order more of) when it was anounced the end of HD-DVD. Now every thing I see is back up to around 20 bucks. Sure not as bad as the 25-30 it was but still. Hell at this point it should be 20-25 for BD and 10-15 for HD.

[quote name='Wazzup36']May I also get that PM? Been looking for Pitch Black for forever....[/quote]

Sure dude, PM sent.

Just picked up a used one for $30. Didn't have a remote or any cables. Worth it or not? I can return it if this doesn't seem like a decent enough deal.

[quote name='darkasian']Just picked up a used one for $30. Didn't have a remote or any cables. Worth it or not? I can return it if this doesn't seem like a decent enough deal.[/QUOTE]

I'd keep it, although not having a remote could get annoying if you don't have an alternative solution handy. You can get cheap cables from monoprice.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']Anyone know where you can get Pitch Black HD-DVD cheap? I have not seen it for under $20. I thought it would be cheap since it was a give away at one point, but even on e-bay it is $20+.[/quote]

I'm looking for that one too...its the only HD DVD that I need. Tempted to just get rid of Chronicles of Riddick and just buy both on :br:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'm looking for that one too...its the only HD DVD that I need. Tempted to just get rid of Chronicles of Riddick and just buy both on :br:[/quote]

Hey Linkin not sure who deleted my post about Pitch Black but also gonna sent you a PM about where to look for the movie.

[quote name='Lucky13']Hey Linkin not sure who deleted my post about Pitch Black but also gonna sent you a PM about where to look for the movie.[/quote]

Alright...thanks!

bread's done
Back