HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Linkin not sure who deleted my post about Pitch Black but also gonna sent you a PM about where to look for the movie.

I see a few of you saying you "get" these movies, some people subbed them out, etc.., did you buy them or what?

[quote name='Albo23']I see a few of you saying you "get" these movies, some people subbed them out, etc.., did you buy them or what?[/QUOTE]

They are from the five free movies rebate back when they purchased their player.

Got what I think was a good deal tonight. Was talking to this cat on Craigslist near here who had a 360 bundle with a bunch of HDs in it. He sold me 6 for $50, then said if I saw anymore, I could get them for $5 each, so I got 2 more. His wife met me at my job with the hds, and said that since I got the Matrix, she would give me the other 2 Matrix movies and the box for just $5 more. So for $65 I got the following:

Complete Matrix Trilogy (complete with "Free Download of the Animatrix on xbox live" card, though I don't know if it's used yet)
Face Off
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Transformers
Black Snake Moan
The Big Lewbowski
Frighteners Director's cut (with upc rippage)
Shaun of the Dead

He has more and his wife said I could buy any of the rest for $5/movie and she would even bring them to me. What do you guys think? lol

Wohoo Just got my 5 FREE. Took a long ass time
Got:
- Blood Diamond
- Knocked UP
- Last Samurai
- The Warriors( Kinda surprised about this one, great movie)
- The Bourne Identity
I was stoked for no doubles of what I already had and These are actually better movies than the ones i signed up for. 1+point for Procrastination and sending the form in on the last day.

[quote name='ryoga79']Got what I think was a good deal tonight. Was talking to this cat on Craigslist near here who had a 360 bundle with a bunch of HDs in it. He sold me 6 for $50, then said if I saw anymore, I could get them for $5 each, so I got 2 more. His wife met me at my job with the hds, and said that since I got the Matrix, she would give me the other 2 Matrix movies and the box for just $5 more. So for $65 I got the following:

Complete Matrix Trilogy (complete with "Free Download of the Animatrix on xbox live" card, though I don't know if it's used yet)
Face Off
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Transformers
Black Snake Moan
The Big Lewbowski
Frighteners Director's cut (with upc rippage)
Shaun of the Dead

He has more and his wife said I could buy any of the rest for $5/movie and she would even bring them to me. What do you guys think? lol[/quote]
cool lol

Reposting what I posted earlier on the MN region thread but....

For those with Half Price Book stores in you area looking for cheap HD-DVDs check em out. Right now its just an few select titles from Universal but I did get an mention from an employee that there is potential for more to come in the future. Titles at my store were between $8-10.

What I saw:

- The Mummy (1999)
- Children Of Men
- Breakfast Club
- Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift
- Bourne Ultimatium
- King Kong (Peter Jackson)

There were others but I can't recall what they are off hand.

They are factory sealed with HPB yellow price tags on them. Also to note they are most likely from Canada since they have dual English/French covers. YMMV of course on this but good luck. Hope this helps someone out.

So I got my 5 Free HD DVDs a few weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised to find:

Billy Madison, Smokin Aces, Blood Diamond, Children of Men (I think, the one with Clive Owen), and The Italian Job. Disappointed that I didn't get the Frighteners, but oh well, good haul for a $25 or $50 purchase, almost half a year ago.

Micro- I use highdefdigest to check a/v quality before purchasing. But there is a site that you can log what you own, stuff on your wish list, etc. I swear i thought I saw a link on here before for it. I have my hd's logged into my dvdaf, but if I can get a site for just the hds, that would be boss.

Finally got my 5 free discs sent on the last day of the offer. They subbed out all my discs for better options IMHO. Here is what I got:

Knocked Up combo disc
Flags of our Father
Bourne Identity
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Last Samurai

I'm still waiting on my 5 freebies, so I called up the Rebate Center. According to their records, they sent them out on June 27th and they said shipping takes up to a month. I'm starting to get a sinking sensation that someone swiped them off my porch.

For those of you who received them, how were they delivered? Was it through the post office or UPS/FedEx? If it's the post office, then there's no way it was stolen because they won't leave packages out (I know this from experience). If it's UPS/FedEx, then my guess is it was dropped off and is now long gone :bomb:

They've come USPS for me, in a very plain padded envelope... no indication there are HD-DVDs inside (Although that may make people less likely to steal them nowadays. ;) ) )

[quote name='WingsDJY']I'm still waiting on my 5 freebies, so I called up the Rebate Center. According to their records, they sent them out on June 27th and they said shipping takes up to a month. I'm starting to get a sinking sensation that someone swiped them off my porch.

For those of you who received them, how were they delivered? Was it through the post office or UPS/FedEx? If it's the post office, then there's no way it was stolen because they won't leave packages out (I know this from experience). If it's UPS/FedEx, then my guess is it was dropped off and is now long gone :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Mine were crammed into my mailbox thanks to USPS.

[quote name='Sporadic']Mine were crammed into my mailbox thanks to USPS.[/quote]

That makes me feel a little better. I guess there's hope that they haven't disappeared forever since my neighborhood uses locked mailboxes.

Hey all, hopin you can help me out (since 1800-4MY-XBOX is incompetent.)

I recently purchased a used Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player from Gamestop - only problem is, the installation software did not come with it. I searched the xbox.com technical support forum, and the software that it offers to give you so you can burn onto a CD and install manually does not match the description it says it should. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360hddvdplayer/download.htm

Says it should be 15MB, but it's 7MB - and it only has 1 file (It's a Fall 2007 Update) - there is nothing I can execute or do to make this work. Besides returning it, I would really like to resolve this issue so I can use it. (that, and it's incredibly hard to find nowadays.) Does anyone have a copy of the installation software, or even better, the actual file I need? I think it's called HD_DVD_05-2007.zip

Thanks in advance

[quote name='Scorch']I could make an iso of the disc and upload it, since it's not illegal or anything.. it'd be later tonight though[/quote]

Scorch - if you could, that would be amazing. I only have 1 more day left before I can get a refund (23 days till exchange is up but no one has any)

Also, if anyone else happens to have it before then, don't hesitate to PM me or AIM me at r i p icyx.

Was told to try my luck here in regards to the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player. Long story short, bought it used from Gamestop and it didn't come with the installation software. The Xbox.com support page for it lets you d/l the installation file but it doesn't match the data that the website says it should contain.

Does anyone have the old file or a CD and would be willing to loan it / burn a copy for me?

[quote name='Sporadic']Mine were crammed into my mailbox thanks to USPS.[/quote]

Mine were in good shape, but there was a huge hole in the package exposing the contents.

Do standalone players like the A2/A3/A30, etc need to be constatntly hooked up to the internet to play?

I tried watching my $10 copy of American Gangster last night on my :360: add-on without signing into my profile, and it wouldn't play

It wasn't until after I logged in to LIVE and accpeted some internet cookie would it play

It was really freaking irritating

No, the standalones only need to be on the internet to do firmware updates (unless you burn a CD) or to download web content.

I didn't think the 360 did either, maybe it just wanted to download the (tiny) update MS made a few months back right after HD-DVD had the plug pulled?

[quote name='msam']Was told to try my luck here in regards to the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player. Long story short, bought it used from Gamestop and it didn't come with the installation software. The Xbox.com support page for it lets you d/l the installation file but it doesn't match the data that the website says it should contain.

Does anyone have the old file or a CD and would be willing to loan it / burn a copy for me?[/QUOTE]

you should just be able to hook up the drive to your 360 and then Live will update it automatically

[quote name='Justin42']
I didn't think the 360 did either, maybe it just wanted to download the (tiny) update MS made a few months back right after HD-DVD had the plug pulled?[/quote]

No, it wasn't an update, as I d/led the last update when it was released months ago. I use the HD-DVD as my primary dvd player.

The Xbox asked me specifically if I would accept a cookie. At first I said no, and it wouldn't work.

I put it in again, accepted the cookie, and it played with no problem

Got the following tonight for $5 each from my CL guy:

Hot Fuzz (for bro)
Batman Begins (for bro)
Phantom of the Opera
Lucky # Slevin
Blazing Saddles
Pan's Labyrinth
Superman II: the Richard Donner Cut
Smokin' Aces

He has a few others I'm going to get later (like all 5 Harry Potter movies).

[quote name='ryoga79']Got the following tonight for $5 each from my CL guy:

Hot Fuzz (for bro)
Batman Begins (for bro)
Phantom of the Opera
Lucky # Slevin
Blazing Saddles
Pan's Labyrinth
Superman II: the Richard Donner Cut
Smokin' Aces

He has a few others I'm going to get later (like all 5 Harry Potter movies).[/quote]

I'm hating you man. I've been searching for Hot Fuzz, Batman Begins, Lucky # Slevin, and Pan's Labyrinth for that price for the longest time. My craigslist sucks for hd dvd and blu-ray sales

OK so I tried doing some research on my own (ie searching on various sites) and got too confused. I want a cheap HD DVD player (join the club right)
I'm seeing them range from $90ish-$250ish. I'm on lunch so I don't have to much time to sort through this thread but from what I did read it was mainly "I got my dvds".

Any help would be helpful... but seriously thanks and I'll have more time when I get home tonight.

Edit: What's the deal with Best Buys prices for HD DVDs? Some of them are $45!

Edit again: My TRU has about 2-4 360 HD add-ons. Is it worth it for $40 something plus 20% off?

You can pick up an A2 or A3 for about $50 on Craigslist. eBay is the same but you usually have to pay shipping. I just picked up an A1 + 8 movies for $80 shipped...

As for movies, check out iNetvideo.com . Movies as low as $5 a pop.

Frosty: assuming you have a 360, $32 is great for the add on (which comes with King Kong and the 360 remote); I just found one at Meijer today for $35, so I bought it as a backup. It was a better deal at $50 with 5 additional free HD-DVDs, but that ship has long sailed. While not the most space conscious item, it takes less space than a standalone.

ordered the following from DeepDiscountDVD tonight:

Casablanca $8.99
TMNT $8.99
Justice League New Frontier $9.99
Appleseed Ex Machina $8.99 (but out of stock)

all in all, not bad, especially with free shipping. Inetvideo is doing free shipping how with a code, but I don't see anything I really like off of them yet (except Payback). Not counting Appleseed (since it's OOS, I don't get charged right now for it), that puts me up to 34 HD-DVDs. And yet so many more I want. And then there is the stuff I have bids up for on ebay. *ugh*

[quote name='ryoga79']ordered the following from DeepDiscountDVD tonight:

Casablanca $8.99
TMNT $8.99
Justice League New Frontier $9.99

all in all, not bad, especially with free shipping. Inetvideo is doing free shipping how with a code, but I don't see anything I really like off of them yet (except Payback). Not counting Appleseed (since it's OOS, I don't get charged right now for it), that puts me up to 34 HD-DVDs. And yet so many more I want. And then there is the stuff I have bids up for on ebay. *ugh*[/QUOTE]

Oh, nice. At 9.99 I gotta think about Justice League. I've heard it's awesome.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Oh, nice. At 9.99 I gotta think about Justice League. I've heard it's awesome.[/quote]

Yeah, New Frontier was very good, in my opinion. I didn't have high hopes after the abortion that was Superman/Doomsday, but New Frontier was really well done. Picked up the Blu-ray on day one and was not disappointed. For $10, I'd say it's hard to pass it up.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet (read back a few pages of the thread and didn't see it) but, my local Blockbuster had their remaining hd-dvd's on clearance for 3.99 each. I picked up what they had....Disturbia, Hot Rod, Happy Feet, Ray, Dreamgirls and Flags of our Fathers. So you might want to check Blockbuster.

[quote name='efmchico']Don't know if this has been mentioned yet (read back a few pages of the thread and didn't see it) but, my local Blockbuster had their remaining hd-dvd's on clearance for 3.99 each. I picked up what they had....Disturbia, Hot Rod, Happy Feet, Ray, Dreamgirls and Flags of our Fathers. So you might want to check Blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...Looks like I'll be taking a trip over there tonight! Thanks OP!

quick question! which one is better... the xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on for $47 or a used Toshiba HD-DVD used for $60 ... ?

[quote name='ryoga79']ordered the following from DeepDiscountDVD tonight:

[/QUOTE]

fuckers:
Appleseed: Ex Machina [HD DVD]
Format: Hi-Def
Widescreen

Sorry This Product Is Not Available

[quote name='D23']quick question! which one is better... the xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on for $47 or a used Toshiba HD-DVD used for $60 ... ?[/QUOTE]
Go with the stand alone!

[quote name='D23']quick question! which one is better... the xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on for $47 or a used Toshiba HD-DVD used for $60 ... ?[/QUOTE]

Definately the stand alone. When I was in Fry's last weekend they not only had a ton of HD DVD's but a ton of 360 ad ons. Im thinking sooner or later they will have a "Buy an HD DVD 360 ad on get 5/10 free movies with it.".

On that day I buy an extra ad on just in case.

I'm sure ppl have noticed the thread. But for those with a Moviestop near them (there is a location list in the op of the thread). Moviestop is running a 40% off HD-DVD clearance. All movies are $3.60-$8 and all boxsets are $3.60 (Nip Tuck)-$18 (Sopranos, Ultimate Matrix, Planet Earth, Heroes, etc). There is also a B1G1 unlimited coupon, making 2 hd-dvd boxsets as low as $1.80 each.

[quote name='DX']Definately the stand alone. When I was in Fry's last weekend they not only had a ton of HD DVD's but a ton of 360 ad ons. Im thinking sooner or later they will have a "Buy an HD DVD 360 ad on get 5/10 free movies with it.".

On that day I buy an extra ad on just in case.[/quote]

Yeah I was at fry's last week and they must've had over a thousand hd-dvds. Most of the titles they had were stocked 10-20 deep. So there's no shortage of HD-DVDs.

bread's done
Back