HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='darkdaze73']Unless you want to watch the sd-dvd versions, the Region 2 dvd side won't matter. I picked up a UK import set a month or 2 ago for $43 BIN w/ FS. After the 30% CB it comes to around $30. Plus I had heard somewhere that some of the sets sold in the US were having playback issues.[/quote]

Yea, unfortunately this is for a gift and the SD version is probably the one that would be watched so the UK version won't help me on this one. Figured I could pick up a cheap hybrid copy but its not proving to be as easy as I thought. Do they sell a standard DVD only version of season 1? I could only find season 1 as a combo or in the 3 season set.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Yea, unfortunately this is for a gift and the SD version is probably the one that would be watched so the UK version won't help me on this one. Figured I could pick up a cheap hybrid copy but its not proving to be as easy as I thought. Do they sell a standard DVD only version of season 1? I could only find season 1 as a combo or in the 3 season set.[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as a "standard" Season One set. They are 100% hybrids.

Fry's has been running in-store specials on the HD DVD sets of Battlestar Galactica S1 and Heroes S1 -- $9.99 per set.

I have read that HD-DVDs are region free so I would think my BH200 would play from any region. So I was wondering if their was some import sites that are reliable to order from. I'm not really looking for movies that came out here in SD but came out in other places in HD also. I'm looking for movies that were on HD that never came out here in the states at all. For example I know 1408 came out on HD in another country but only SD in the US I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for a movies that never came out in the states.

[quote name='sendme']I have read that HD-DVDs are region free so I would think my BH200 would play from any region. So I was wondering if their was some import sites that are reliable to order from. I'm not really looking for movies that came out here in SD but came out in other places in HD also. I'm looking for movies that were on HD that never came out here in the states at all. For example I know 1408 came out on HD in another country but only SD in the US I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for a movies that never came out in the states.[/quote]

Wait a minute so you're only looking for movies that came out in HD here right? :lol:

[quote name='sendme']I have read that HD-DVDs are region free so I would think my BH200 would play from any region. So I was wondering if their was some import sites that are reliable to order from. I'm not really looking for movies that came out here in SD but came out in other places in HD also. I'm looking for movies that were on HD that never came out here in the states at all. For example I know 1408 came out on HD in another country but only SD in the US I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for a movies that never came out in the states.[/QUOTE]

All HD DVDs are region free....period. I would check out ebay. I've purchased a ton of imports there fairly cheap. Make sure to get the Terminator 2 Steelbook...an amazing set and better then the BD version.

Keep in mind the LG 200 can be made BD Region free with a few simple hacks...

I'm not looking to hack it. Also I have T2 on dvd and from what I have read the BD or HD DVDs of it don't look much betters. I'm also not looking for movies that came out in the states. I was actually thinking about ordering some Japanesse horror movies that only came out in Japan. I'm not looking for ones that the SD version only came to the states but never came to the states at all HD or not.

Heh, I have all the ones I really wanted from that list. Plus, even if I loaded up on the stuff I didn't have that I might be just remotely interested in, I'd probably still not have enough for free shipping. :p

Hm, I wonder what other Fry's discs dropped? Clerks 2 was $6.99 -I think- when I was in LA a couple weeks ago.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I have all the HD DVDs they offer....really fucking sad.[/quote]

I definitely don't have as many HD-DVDs as you, but I feel the same way. I've gotten to the point where I just buy them for the hell of it, because they are so cheap. Movies that I saw in the theaters...that I didn't even particularly like...I bought them, just because. Very sad.

Well, it does help justify the purchase of the player. However subjective that might be.

I personally feel better knowing I have just enough content that makes owning an HD-DVD drive worthwhile. At the same time, I also want to make sure I don't own too many discs or discs of movies that have more replay value to me, such that I feel bad if the player ever craps out and I can't get a replacement for it. That's why getting them so cheap is so alluring to me--minimal investment for a little more intrinsic satisfaction.

[quote name='gunm']Well, it does help justify the purchase of the player. However subjective that might be.

I personally feel better knowing I have just enough content that makes owning an HD-DVD drive worthwhile. At the same time, I also want to make sure I don't own too many discs or discs of movies that have more replay value to me, such that I feel bad if the player ever craps out and I can't get a replacement for it. That's why getting them so cheap is so alluring to me--minimal investment for a little more intrinsic satisfaction.[/quote]When we get to 2016 and parts aren't available anymore from Toshiba, then you can worry about it.

by that time im sure we will be rebuying our movies on a new format anyways...good thing I have 3 players just in case.. and im sure you can always buy that woot player for like $40

I'm gonna look for a spare, as well. I have the 360 add-on, so I was thinking about picking up a stand-alone player. So, I could use that as my main player and lesson the stress on my 360. If I can find a super, super cheap add-on at Sears or something, though, I will probably pick that up.

I found a TRU that has 2 brand new drives, but they want $50 for them... Is there somewhere cheaper I can use for a price match?

I was going to suggest the $50 bundle at Frys, but I see you already posted in that thread and cannot partake. Anyway, $25 for the drive, remote, and King Kong sounds decent enough to me.

[quote name='D0RC']Just a quick question, what was the last most recent movie/tv show or whatever released on HD DVD?[/QUOTE]

The final catalog release was Twister. (Ironically the first movie ever released on DVD back in 1997)

The final recent release was P. S. I love You.

P2 and Death Proof have also both surfaced. I have two copies of Death Proof on the way. There may still be more out there as well...

[quote name='GizmoGC']On what?[/QUOTE]

A player bundle.

EDIT - Won one for $45 shipped. Includes 5 movies (King Kong, American Gangster, Hot Rod, The Kingdom, and Dawn Of The Dead). Don't really care for Hot Rod or Dawn Of The Dead, but Kong and American Gangster are pretty nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty crazy how the Opus Arte HD-DVDs actually went up in price at Amazon.

I bought Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 2 Resurrection for $27.99 after HD-DVD died and now it's $35.99

I bought I think 3 from iNet and 5 or so from Frys. It was cheaper to get them on HD then it was to get some of them on BD with amazons sale. However I'm wondering in a few years if I might not just go all BD. That is the only thing that is stopping me from getting HD DVDs is that I might end up just going all BD. I have the BH200 so I can keep playing both and I would rather have HD then BD so I dont know. I wish HD would have won.

here's the thing I'm digging about hddvd at this point: cheap movies. I have been able to get an hd dvd player and 29 titles for $180. That's just a hair over $6 per title and that would make the player free. I simply can't get that with blu ray. If i were to get 3 of the titles in blu ray (smallville season 6, harry potter 1-5 gift set, transformers) im looking at $180 even with used prices.

were the roles reversed and hd dvd were the dominant format, I would probably be buying blu ray like im currently buying hd dvd...it's all about the cheapness

Thats why I'm buying them on HD if I can. Unless I can get them cheaper on BD. I'm thinking that when my BH200/360 addon quit on me and I can not get another one to replace them I will end up selling all the HD and go BD. Well all but P2 seeing how only 5000 were made.

[quote name='DantheApe']here's the thing I'm digging about hddvd at this point: cheap movies.

were the roles reversed and hd dvd were the dominant format, I would probably be buying blu ray like im currently buying hd dvd...it's all about the cheapness[/quote]

I'm the same exact way.

I saw the Ultimate Matrix :br: box set was $100 in store. I paid

well i know it's not hd, but the matrix has recently popped up in a "4 play" pack for $10 (i think it's called 4 play) i know the superman films have popped up like this as well Iim guessing it's just a pair of flipper discs, but damn it's tempting just to own all 4 movies.

bread's done
Back