HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
wow I did not know about hddvdstats.com. I wonder if bluray has one also. Also that site does not have P2 listed unless I over looked it. However P2 was never actually released so that could be why.

[quote name='DantheApe']well i know it's not hd, but the matrix has recently popped up in a "4 play" pack for $10 (i think it's called 4 play) i know the superman films have popped up like this as well Iim guessing it's just a pair of flipper discs, but damn it's tempting just to own all 4 movies.[/QUOTE]
Can you tell me more about this Superman pack? Link perhaps?

Picked up Army of Darkness, Dazed and Confused and Hot Fuzz for $18 at Kroger. A little more than I would have liked to spend, but I still haven't seen Hot Fuzz. The other two were worth double (or in the case of AoD, triple) dipping.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Can you tell me more about this Superman pack? Link perhaps?[/QUOTE]

i found it at wally world and then again at target...like i said they appear to just be a pair of flipper discs

ahh found a link http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10295860

back on topic, i finally got my a2 in and wow, i forgot how nice movies in hd can be but im kind of at the point where i have pretty much anything i would want short of The Matrix (just the matrix, not any of the others) does anyone know where i could find just the matrix 1 without any of the other movies?

A seller on Amazon has it for $20. But at that point, you might as well pay the $45 at DDD for the trilogy. The movies might not be as good, but they look outstanding.

Which player would you guys recommend for someone who just has a 720P tv? I also need it to play DVD+R's. I already have a 360 Add On drive hooked up to my computer but I would like something to view them on my tv. Thanks!

Inetvideo.com is fucking shady...I purchased Hot Rod from Amazon.com through Inetvideo and the listing stated a 2.98 shipping fee...Inetvideo charged me almost $6 for shipping....fucking douchebags...I emailed them to cancel the order, hopefully I can get it canceled and I'll just get it elsewhere.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Inetvideo.com is fucking shady...I purchased Hot Rod from Amazon.com through Inetvideo and the listing stated a 2.98 shipping fee...Inetvideo charged me almost $6 for shipping....fucking douchebags...I emailed them to cancel the order, hopefully I can get it canceled and I'll just get it elsewhere.[/quote]

I'd go and complain to Amazon, if they charged you more than your receipt says then surely thats illegal.

[quote name='benjamouth']I'd go and complain to Amazon, if they charged you more than your receipt says then surely thats illegal.[/quote]

I was going to wait to see their reply, but you know what, you're right...I'm sending a complaint to Amazon too.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I was going to wait to see their reply, but you know what, you're right...I'm sending a complaint to Amazon too.[/quote]

Plus the fact the Amazon Marketplace shipping rates are set, I can't see how they've got any excuse to charge you more.

[quote name='DantheApe']i found it at wally world and then again at target...like i said they appear to just be a pair of flipper discs

ahh found a link http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10295860

back on topic, i finally got my a2 in and wow, i forgot how nice movies in hd can be but im kind of at the point where i have pretty much anything i would want short of The Matrix (just the matrix, not any of the others) does anyone know where i could find just the matrix 1 without any of the other movies?[/QUOTE]

I have the Lethal Weapon set that is just like this and I saw the Matrix movies at Target in the same type of case. I'm sure they are all just like the Lethal Weapon that I have which comes with two double sided discs.

I see what happened...they charged me for expedited shipping, which was an option but I didn't choose. I mistakenly did a 1-click order...and I couldn't change it or cancel it after I did it...couldn't even see it in my Amazon orders until I got the email this morning...fuck, I hope It's not too late to cancel.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I was reading Wikipedia and it's saying that Transpoitting and some other 90s flick is supposed to be released on HD DVD in March 2009 in Europe. Any truth?[/QUOTE]

Its probably a listing error.

ARG going crazy... trying to find freedom vol 5 from a website that i'm familiar with... and the only one i have found was at tower.com.... and well... they don't have vol 5, but vol 6 instead (not listed on the site at all)

anyone have a clue where to find freedom vol 5?

Does anyone feel like doing a Death Proof group buy? Just wanted to throw out the idea since it is pretty cheap (less than 8 Euros), but shipping is a bitch.

I would let someone else take the lead if they wanted to, but the idea of getting the last HD DVD released seems kind of cool.

It is less than 12 bucks before shipping. It ends up being like 29 with shipping.

It is like 7.52 Euros and 14 Euros for shipping and handling.

That is why I was asking about a group buy. One person buys a bunch of copies and then ships them to the others that kicked into the pot. The foreign shipping would be spread across more parts.

You might want to check out highdefdigest.com. Some on their might be doing a group buy if they havent alread.

This is what CAGs like AccordTR and IncrediblePINOY have done with their buying groups for the odd stuff that doesn't come here, like the Dark Knight BR steelbook, the Iron Man steelbook and other such ones.

They do this on other sites as well, and as long as it's someone trustworthy getting all the copies and dealing with the shipments of the movies, it should be a painless experience. If you don't, well, that turns out to be a possible mess, like Pinoy's issues with the Iron Man and TDK steelbooks.

Looks like Amazon.de is sold out of the Death Proof HD-DVD, not sure where else it's available.

I'd pick it up for novelties sake (and I liked the movie) but I'm not paying a huge amount for it.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Awesome deal for those looking to get in on HD DVD or get an extra player plus these particular TV shows:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$49.99 Bundle Includes:
HD DVD Player (X360 Add-On)
Heroes (Season 1) HD
Battlestar Galactica: (Season 1) HD
King Kong The Movie HD
[/FONT]

http://shop1.frys.com/product/58046...I98EpKOVw**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know if this deal is available in store? I really don't want to drive all the way to Fry's if they don't have it.

[quote name='Indiana']Does anyone know if this deal is available in store? I really don't want to drive all the way to Fry's if they don't have it.[/quote]

yeah, i've seen signs up around the store for it.

[quote name='Indiana']Does anyone know if this deal is available in store? I really don't want to drive all the way to Fry's if they don't have it.[/quote]

Yeah I saw at the Vegas store when I was there two days ago.

[quote name='benjamouth']Looks like Amazon.de is sold out of the Death Proof HD-DVD, not sure where else it's available.

I'd pick it up for novelties sake (and I liked the movie) but I'm not paying a huge amount for it.[/quote]

It's back in-stock, I just ordered one. Got it delivered to my parents place in the UK so I got the 6 Euros shipping.

Cost me 14 pounds which is about $21.

[quote name='keiblerfan69']Yeah I saw at the Vegas store when I was there two days ago.[/QUOTE]

They didn't have the same deal. They had the player with 2 extra movies. (Bourne Identity and Carlitos Way or Clerks 2) for $39.99 I figured what the heck for that price might as well try it out.

[quote name='unjust']Does anyone know if the Xbox360 was ever made with an internal HD-DVD drive?[/quote]No, because the transfer rates for Xbox 360 games mandate a 12x DVD drive, which you don't need for movies. The HD-DVD drive doesn't do data transfers for DVD at 12x, I think it's 4x.

So, no, they didn't make a 360 with an internal HD-DVD drive. Rumored a number of times before 2008 CES, though never came to light.

Thanks guys for answering my question so quickly. I was at King Soopers in Denver picking up some HD-DVD's they had marked down to 50% off, and looking through the dvd's....when the guy next to me was grabbing a bunch hd-dvd's for his xbox. He swore up and down that his XBOX360 had a built in HD-DVD drive and he did not need the add on drive. I guess it's a good thing they were all combo disks.

Only thing I can think of is if someone was able to mod a 360 to have the HD drive built into it. However I'm sure it would have been posted on here if someone had found a way to mod the 360 to have the HD drive inside it.

Yeah he's full of shit. Microsoft has never ever made a 360 with HD DVD built in. They have stated multiple times that if they did it would break many games (because of slower DVD access speed).

[quote name='unjust']Thanks guys for answering my question so quickly. I was at King Soopers in Denver picking up some HD-DVD's they had marked down to 50% off, and looking through the dvd's....when the guy next to me was grabbing a bunch hd-dvd's for his xbox. He swore up and down that his XBOX360 had a built in HD-DVD drive and he did not need the add on drive. I guess it's a good thing they were all combo disks.[/QUOTE]

Lol... well that's the sad thing about combo disks. They will work in his 360 and he probably has an old tv and it won't matter anyhow. Too bad a lot of these HD-dvd combos are being purchased by these fools. It makes it harder for those of us with HD-DVD drives to find the movies.

I came across 2 HD DVD's on their clearance endcap. The Mummy and Blue Planet. Blue Planet was $6.26 and The Mummy rang up out of the system on the price checker, but $24.99 at the registers. Just nabbed Blue Planet. Probably only this one Target, so very YMMV on this one.

[quote name='darkasian'] Just nabbed Blue Planet. [/quote]

My next door neighbor is a former shuttle astronaut and can be seen doing his space walk in Blue Planet. No kidding.

bread's done
Back