HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I bought a few when the Xbox HD-DVD came out, but have since gone nuts with all the $5 sales of still-unopened titles. Does your HD-A30 take forever to load?

All of the gen 3 models take the same amount of time to load.

The only serious problem with the A30 (keep in mind, most reviews came from the time that all 3 models were out) was that it wasn't cheap (That was the A3's job) and it wasn't top of the line (that's the A35's job). It's a good player, with 1080p support (unlike the A3) but without all of the bells and whistles of the A35, such as the higher quality upscaling... at this point in time, unless you are an absolute HD-DVD nut, I can't see any issues with getting an A30 if you find one for a decent price. There's no reason to pay exorbitant amounts of money for an A35 or XA2 unless you're heavily invested in the HD-DVD format (or get REALLY lucky and get a good deal!).

$350 doesn't seem bad for an XA2 but if you can get an A30 (and have another high quality upscaling DVD player, like an Oppo) for say $150 I don't think it's worth the extra $200 just to have an XA2, unless you are sure it's in excellent condition and just want to have the best.

[quote name='mitch079']Found another reseller selling HD-DVDs that are fulfilled by Amazon and qualify for free super saving shipping for $25 orders or more - movietronix - just make sure you select the $5.00 choice (under the used and new) as the $4.99 one does not qualify for the free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_?url=me=ABOYXOX42RTRK&field-keywords=hd[/QUOTE]

Hrm, not many of the $5 ones, really.

Gotta love the 100-pack for $400. Not a terrible choice if you're new to HD-DVD, really.
http://www.amazon.com/HD-DVD-Battle...BOYXOX42RTRK&s=generic&qid=1237189058&sr=1-99

That 100 pack is not a bad deal but chances are most who own HD DVDs already have most of what is in that pack. Had i not bought all of the movies I have in the sales that have been going on from time to time I might bite on this. This would be a great deal if it was around a year ago because by now you are all BD or if you do have HD DVDs you have most of what is in that if not all of them or most the ones you are going to buy by now.

[quote name='sendme']That 100 pack is not a bad deal but chances are most who own HD DVDs already have most of what is in that pack. Had i not bought all of the movies I have in the sales that have been going on from time to time I might bite on this. This would be a great deal if it was around a year ago because by now you are all BD or if you do have HD DVDs you have most of what is in that if not all of them or most the ones you are going to buy by now.[/quote]

I'd call it closer to an 89 pack, they are counting the individual disks of the Heroes and BSG set.

It would factor to about $4.50/title. Not horrible as it's about the average price you would pay for all these and saves a lot of going to various online/B&M stores.

[quote name='Corizzle']I'd call it closer to an 89 pack, they are counting the individual disks of the Heroes and BSG set.

It would factor to about $4.50/title. Not horrible as it's about the average price you would pay for all these and saves a lot of going to various online/B&M stores.[/QUOTE]

That is dirty and misleading!

I've been watching A35 and XA2 auctions on Ebay. Eliminating the questionable seller auctions, these items were all breaking $300. So I just said screw it and got an A30 for just over $100 since I've seen a lot of auctions for them get significantly higher. I'll probably continue to keep an eye out for the A35 and XA2, but won't bite unless the price is reasonable.

[quote name='scarface333']I have noticed discusscions on the LG BH200. Are there any other combo players worth looking for?[/QUOTE]

Only other combo players that I know of are the BD5000 from Samsung and the LG combo drive for the computer. I have had all 3 and the ones from LG for me have been the best. The BD5000 I took back due to how much I paid for it and some of the BD and HD discs it didn't play right even after updating.

[quote name='scarface333']I have noticed discusscions on the LG BH200. Are there any other combo players worth looking for?[/QUOTE]

I'm selling my complete mint BH200 for $400 shipped /plug

[quote name='mitch079']Found another reseller selling HD-DVDs that are fulfilled by Amazon and qualify for free super saving shipping for $25 orders or more - movietronix - just make sure you select the $5.00 choice (under the used and new) as the $4.99 one does not qualify for the free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_?url=me=ABOYXOX42RTRK&field-keywords=hd[/quote]

Nice catch on the $5.00 ones. I just ordered a few more that I needed. Thanks man.

[quote name='EmilyBabe']I'll just stick to my PS3. It plays all my BR's flawlessly.[/QUOTE]

That's because nearly every bluray player owned is a PS3, so that's what blu ray's are made for.

anyone know of a cheap reliable place to grab an HD-a2 now?

I am getting a TV for the bedroom and would prefer to have one of these as an upconveter as I know that was always good on these.

Yeah, if it's in good condition that's a pretty good price. The 2nd gen units seem to be built better and have less issues with discs than the 3rd gen. Being as you probably couldn't get an A30 for under $80-$100 and my guess is an A20 would be superior, you found a decent price.

I still keep any eye out for these players... i already have 3 hd players though but i still keep a look out for a cheap 1080p standalone

A2 (1080i with multichannel audio via hdmi)
360 Addon (1080p/ dd)
LG PC Drive (1080p / dd)

[quote name='stardvd555']NCIS Spinoff Casts CSI Alumna,
Two Others
The ensemble for CBS' planned NCIS spinoff continues to flesh
out. Not long after it was reported that Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J are circling two lead roles, three
other characters have been cast.
Louise Lombard, who played CSI'sSofia Curtis for three seasons,
has landed what is considered the series' female lead: Clara, a former major in the military police turned
investigator.
The Hollywood Reporter also reports that Peter Cambor (Notes from the Underbelly) will play Nate, a
quick-witted operational psychologist.
Just asNCISwas born of a JAG episode, this latest offshoot will
kick off as an episode of NCIS.[/QUOTE]

hahahaha,retarded spam

Since I haven't been doing a good job in keeping up who is doing the cheapest sales on HD-DVD titles online at the moment? The titles in particular I'm looking for to complete the titles I want to get in my collection are:

Smokin' Aces
Mallrats
Bruce Almighty
Evan Almighty
What Dreams May Come
Liar Liar
Big Lebowski
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Van Helsing
Dawn Of The Dead Unrated

I found a seller by the name of movietronix on Amazon who has most of these at the $5 range. I want to make sure this will be the best deal or if I should wait in case someone does a $1.99 per title or whatever sale. Thoughts CAG?

I would go for it. At best I think you would see them drop to 3.99 in the next 6 months. I don't see them going to 1.99 for atleast a nother year or year and a half.

Demo Man: if there is a 5 Below near you (it's like a dollar store, but everything is $5 or less, hence the name), they have Evan Almighty and 8-9 other titles.

[quote name='63benz']Demo Man: if there is a 5 Below near you (it's like a dollar store, but everything is $5 or less, hence the name), they have Evan Almighty and 8-9 other titles.[/QUOTE]

No 5 Below here in MN. But thanks for the heads up.

Never even gave Burlington Coat Factory a thought. I wouldn't even know where to look for them in that place.

I did however see that inetvideo.com has new ones for less then 6 bucks but I'm not sure how they are doing their shipping now. I think they might have went to 25 or maybe 50 dollars or more and it is free shipping.

finally got probably the last movie on hd dvd that i really wanted...

51mITgSAhWL._SS500_.jpg

anyother movies purchase from here on would have to be due to price..

[quote name='thrustbucket']I am still looking for The Fountain. Not sure I'll ever find it.[/quote]

Ebay search found 2 copies (1 new, 1 like new) for less than $8 shipped.

Absolute YMMV and was not given a definite start date, but a Fry's salesperson informed me today that the remaining HD DVD titles found on the Fry's website will soon no longer be available online and the stock will be shipped to the stores in the coming weeks. At least you won't have to deal with the ridiculous shipping cost if it happens...plus I may be able to pick up "Fletch" at a reasonable price.

Fry's online HD DVD selection

[quote name='thrustbucket']I am still looking for The Fountain. Not sure I'll ever find it.
ig.jpg
[/quote]

i just bought it from ebay a while back.

[quote name='darkdaze73']Which movies & how much?[/QUOTE]
I saw some in the Burlington CF in Daytona. They were all combo discs. "Accepted" was one of them and I almost bought it.
They had about five other titles. I think they were $6.99. They were in a stand-up display near the front registers.

I got e-mail today, free shipping at Inetvideo ($50 or more). There are quite a few for $3.99 or less and a few new titles. I had The corpse bride ($3.99) in my cart and was checking out when it came up sold out before I could finish, Damn!!!!!!. (probably a horder)

Yeah I found some HD DVDs at Burlington Coat Factory but like techstar said they are combos disk. The best two I saw were The Breakfast Club and Animal House. They were $6.99 for those interested in price.

[quote name='luvmysegadc']Absolute YMMV and was not given a definite start date, but a Fry's salesperson informed me today that the remaining HD DVD titles found on the Fry's website will soon no longer be available online and the stock will be shipped to the stores in the coming weeks. At least you won't have to deal with the ridiculous shipping cost if it happens...plus I may be able to pick up "Fletch" at a reasonable price.

Fry's online HD DVD selection[/QUOTE]

The other night I picked up Fletch for 5.99. Are you holding out for a lower price?

My local Harris Teeter had some more combo discs in stock yesterday. With the exception of 2-3 movies, they only had 1 copy of each. Prices ranged the same as last time(3.99-7.99). There was a cpl I might would pick up if they drop them to 50% off like they did last time.

I was actually going to post a thread on here about the burlington hd dvds, lol. Any way they are all combo discs. I picked up chuck and larry, fast and furious tokyo drift, and accepted. Here are the ones they had:

Accepted
Fast and furious tokyo drift
I now pronounce you chuck and larry
Evan almighty
Breakfast club
The breakup
Animal house
Balls of fury

Those are all the ones i can remember off hand. There were a couple more but cant remember. All 6.99!

Will have to check out HT on the way in/out of work this weekend.

So, anyone jump on those Taking Lives lots on ebay the past few days? Seem the #1 rare is no longer rare. lol

I didn't even know it was rare. However with that said I don't really know what ones are rare and what ones are not. I think the rarest one I have is P2 and that is not that rare. I chances are would bite on Taking Lives however it is on BD now for much less. So unless the HD has more extras or is of better quality it is not worth it with the BD is 13.xx on amazon and the HD on eBay is 20.xx-100+.

I picked up 2 copies of Taking Lives from a seller over at high def digest for $23 shipped. Rare or not, one will be opened for viewing while the other will stay sealed just in case.
I had already planned on picking this up on blu-ray & had been looking at prices of the blu-ray on ebay about half an hour to an hour before it got posted over at hdd. You wanna talk about an odd coincidence.

In the past hell maybe even now with it being rare or atleast said to be rare and a movie I might want to see I would bite. However I see no point in buying it on HD when it is out on BD for less. I would buy it for 20-25 if I was to find out the HD is a better quality then the BD. I just don't see the point in buying HD now if it is out on BD or coming out soon on BD unless it is a lot cheaper or a better quality. I bit on P2 because it had yet to come to BD and was less then 25 bucks after tax and shipping. Also it helped the fact that it was somthing that I would watch. Now if it would have come out on BD around that time or a date for it to come out on BD would have been anounced around that time and that it would be soon I would never have bought it.

bread's done
Back