HD DVD thread - Toshiba: HD DVD DISCONTINUED, REPAIR/SUPPORT CONTINUES, NO BLU PLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='TheRock88']I posted this in the dvd forum, but I'd figure I post it here too cause it might be good for us with HD DVD

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/[/QUOTE]

This is bad for us.

Not only is the box art ugly as sin, we will be paying more for something we (at least HD-DVD only users) will never use.

At least with HD-DVD/DVD combos I can still use the other side.

8fb850a2dc0fc0fd9b1f325ka8.jpg

[quote name='propeller_head']actually warner said they would be making the Total HD discs the same price as regular HD discs.[/QUOTE]

I hope so because I'm not paying more than $20 for catalog Warner titles domestically.

[quote name='propeller_head']actually warner said they would be making the Total HD discs the same price as regular HD discs.[/QUOTE]

Ive heard they will MSRP for $40 if not more.

Negative.

No price was announced, but WHV president Ron Sanders claims that while he thinks consumers would be willing to "pay a little more" for the security of having a disc that's format war proof, the price "won't be very much more than current HD-DVDs and Blu-ray Discs."

We all know "a little more" means 7-10+ dollars. Which definitely means no more $19-23 HD-DVDs from Warner.

I, for one, am goddamn sick of this.

I already pay a premium to get my movie in high definition. I don't give a fuck if it can play in a Blu-Ray or a DVD player. I don't give a fuck if HD-DVD dies tomorrow. My discs will still play and my player won't self-destruct. Push come to shove, I'll have to get a new player if I want any new releases.

Big deal.

I wish they would stop pressing choices on me to improve their bottom line.

Why didn't the presige come out on HD-DVD if its being distributed by WB? I've been trying to figure that out since it came out on BR.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Why didn't the presige come out on HD-DVD if its being distributed by WB? I've been trying to figure that out since it came out on BR.[/QUOTE]

I think Disney/Buena Vista has the distribution rights in the US.

[quote name='guyver2077']nice the prestige... how much does it cost to import/? i may just get it for br.. i really liked the movie[/QUOTE]

Usually around 27-43 dollars depending on where you get it from and what region it's coming out of.

Japan is the only one that hovers around 40ish dollars.

France is around 30-35

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/hd-dvds-c-35.html?osCsid=05cd23f59d7373ddc6797465a49ae8bd

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=3010

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Why didn't the presige come out on HD-DVD if its being distributed by WB? I've been trying to figure that out since it came out on BR.[/QUOTE]

Distributed in America by Touchstone Pictures (Blu-Ray exclusive)
Distributed in EU by Warner Bros. (HD-DVD backer)

The same thing happened with Terminator 2.

[quote name='bri637']I think Disney/Buena Vista has the distribution rights in the US.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you look at the sDVD box, you can see WB on it...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well, if you look at the sDVD box, you can see WB on it...[/QUOTE]

Well both WB and Miramax had their hands in "The Aviator". This may be the case for "The Prestige".

FYI!

UNIVERSAL HD DVD JUNE RELEASE DATES:

6/12
Born on the Fourth of July
Bruce Almighty
Daylight
Liar Liar
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Sneakers

6/26
American Me
Being John Malkovich
Bulletproof
Mallrats
Meet Joe Black
Mystery Men
The Watcher

No word on Warner/Paramount yet :)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Damn, when are they going to announce the Matrix Trilogy? :bomb:[/quote]

Probably end of the year (along with the LOTR trilogy) to promote holiday sales.

[quote name='Ruined']Yes, Warner is waiting for Blu-Ray to get BD-J working properly so they can release the HD DVD and Blu-Ray simulatneously in the US[/QUOTE]

Which is actually holding up blood diamond too. And probably matrix.

REALLY pisses me off that because of bluray, we have to wait longer for our hd dvd.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Because they've always had it...[/QUOTE]
I just assumed it was Miramax, because they have all the other View Askiew movies, except for Clerks 2

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Wait, why are you even posting in this thread again?[/QUOTE]
because I can, and again I do have The Departed on HD DVD

[quote name='Ruined']Yes, Warner is waiting for Blu-Ray to get BD-J working properly so they can release the HD DVD and Blu-Ray simulatneously in the US[/QUOTE]

Warner owned studios have released a number of titles simulatneously under boht flags. The Java issues are not really holding them back that much and I'm sure it's got nothing to with saving big titles for their rediculous Total HD plans. Also, hasn't Fox already released some BD-J titles anyways? Larger problems with it seem to exist in the hardware compatibility, but it's not stopping BD-J software releases under other studios so what is the large obstacle holding Warner back?

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Warner owned studios have released a number of titles simulatneously under boht flags. The Java issues are not really holding them back that much and I'm sure it's got nothing to with saving big titles for their rediculous Total HD plans, but yeah, no I'm sure you're totally correct...[/QUOTE]

TotalHD really screws HD DVD owners in that the first offerings will be single sided for each. P.S. Warner I'm NOT paying over $20 for these discs or I may not be buying them to begin with given you're trying to wedge over 90 minute movies on 15 gigs.

[quote name='Sarang01']TotalHD really screws HD DVD owners in that the first offerings will be single sided for each. P.S. Warner I'm NOT paying over $20 for these discs or I may not be buying them to begin with given you're trying to wedge over 90 minute movies on 15 gigs.[/QUOTE]

It actually screws Blu-Ray owners more, though. Though initial TotalHD discs will be HD15/BD25, Warner stated they will have HD30/BD25 TotalHD discs up and running by August 2007. BD50, they have no statement if and when that will ever happen on TotalHD - so Blu-Ray owners may end up with 5GB less space than HD DVD in the end with Warner titles.

Also, there are a number of HD15 combos that look stunning on HD DVD. Its just a matter of using the right codecs, which Warner seems to be adept at.

[quote name='Sarang01']TotalHD really screws HD DVD owners in that the first offerings will be single sided for each. P.S. Warner I'm NOT paying over $20 for these discs or I may not be buying them to begin with given you're trying to wedge over 90 minute movies on 15 gigs.[/QUOTE]

You're preaching to the choir my friend, I can't see how anyone can be a fan of paying extra for features they'll hardly ever or worse yet never use at all. This is the whole problem I had with the SD/HD combo discs (besides me hating flip discs), if I have shelled out the money for HD-DVD player and the software why would I want to watch the movie in SD then?

[quote name='Ruined']It actually screws Blu-Ray owners more, though. Though initial TotalHD discs will be HD15/BD25, Warner stated they will have HD30/BD25 TotalHD discs up and running by August 2007. BD50, they have no statement if and when that will ever happen on TotalHD - so Blu-Ray owners may end up with 5GB less space than HD DVD in the end with Warner titles.[/QUOTE]

I think you miss the point though, is there any reason he may have to pay $5-10 more (speculative costs of course) for figuratively only using half the disc? Personally I'd just like to see them to continue to release both formats in timely manner together. I'd rather pay $20 for my choice of BD or HD than $25-30 for something needlessly combining them when I only own and/or can only use one. Whether it benefits BD or HD is a fun argument, but IMO it does not benefit the customer no matter which format you own or support (unless prices are the same, but I don't see this happening, least not out of the gate).

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']You're preaching to the choir my friend, I can't see how anyone can be a fan of paying extra for features they'll hardly ever or worse yet never use at all. This is the whole problem I had with the SD/HD combo discs (besides me hating flip discs), if I have shelled out the money for HD-DVD player and the software why would I want to watch the movie in SD then?[/QUOTE]

Note Universal stopped doing it for catalog titles. To be honest to me it makes little sense there. Makes more sense for new releases since the cost is more minimal there in comparison. Shit for TotalHD it's redundant. At least with the DVD side on combo discs you might be more likely to use it. For example, if you have a portable player, etc. At the same time this should be an option not foisted upon people unless you can make it cost the same as regular HD DVD's.

[quote name='Sporadic']Negative.

We all know "a little more" means 7-10+ dollars. Which definitely means no more $19-23 HD-DVDs from Warner.

I, for one, am goddamn sick of this.

I already pay a premium to get my movie in high definition. I don't give a fuck if it can play in a Blu-Ray or a DVD player. I don't give a fuck if HD-DVD dies tomorrow. My discs will still play and my player won't self-destruct. Push come to shove, I'll have to get a new player if I want any new releases.

Big deal.

I wish they would stop pressing choices on me to improve their bottom line.[/quote]

i think youre absolutely wrong. absolutely.

you will see. i remember reading it will be the same price. i think it was over at engadget. i would be surprised if it was even $2 more.

Warner isn't doing Total HD for us, they are doing it for Warner. It's far cheaper in the long run for them to just sell one SKU. And their argument for it is, it's format-war safe. Which is true. No matter what happens in the format war, you have a movie you'll always be able to play.

Also, let's just call an apple an apple here. Total HD effectively means ALL movies for both formats will have a maximum of 25 gigs. Warner is not going to make different encodes for each format (they haven't so far). They are going to encode it once, and slap it on both sides. The only way the extra 5 gigs of space might get used for HD DVD is in extras.

[quote name='anomynous']because I can, and again I do have The Departed on HD DVD[/QUOTE]

So sorry. You have 1 HD-DVD Combo, I forgot! Please let him post anything he wants, he has a Combo. Yet he does not want HD-DVD at all...oh wait, he does right after a mod came into this thread.

Feel free to post in this thread but do not back HD-DVD in anyway. Feel free to start a Blu-Ray topic in the PS3 forum (there should be one anyway) if you want to discuss Blu-Ray movies.

I have been participating in the insider thread on AVSforum recently and yesterday I got an interesting answer to one of my questions I thought I'd share here (For those that don't know, Amir is a Microsoft corporate Vice President in charge of the HD DVD stuff:

Here is my initial question:
Amir,

Which do you personally feel will likely happen first, given your own personal analysis?

- The war is dragged on long enough that all studios go neutral. (If so, how long do you feel the war would have to continue for it to happen?)
- One format wins, the other is abandoned.
- Something else you can maybe expound on?

And his answer:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10048723&&#post10048723
Quote:
Amir,

Which do you personally feel will likely happen first, given your own personal analysis?

This is the kind of question which can generate hundreds of posts and debates . I will take a shot at it since you asked but I am sure the mods will keep a sharp eye on folks going crazy on it.

Quote:
- The war is dragged on long enough that all studios go neutral. (If so, how long do you feel the war would have to continue for it to happen?)

This is the most likely scenario of the two you list.

I believe at some point "HD DVD" and "BD" will simply become "features" of DVD players. People won't even think about them in the context of a format war or a conscious decision to enter one. They will be buying some sub $99 DVD player, which happens to play HD DVD. Enough of them get sold and the format will be there for good. Consumer will then be free to buy DVDs or HD DVDs and not lose anything one way or the other. I assume BD folks have the same plan (although probably reluctantly ).

Same thing happened with DVD-A/SACD to some extent although the failing there was that interest in that sort of fidelity improvement was nearly non-existent and it came at a time of great change in music business with interest shifting from quality to "access" and convenience. Without that, they would be standard today and we would be living with them for our music enjoyment.

It is possible that both BD and HD DVD will become standard features of DVD players. The hurdle for such universal players is a bit higher (due to higher optical costs which cannot be reduces easily to such low cost thresholds) but it is not too far away from above reality.

Once we hit this inflection point, the concept of format war kind of loses steam and we will simply be throttled by the demand for HD content than anything else. That future is not too far down the road btw. State of electronic integration is so much more advanced now than any other time in history. We are also lucky that the disc size is the same, making these combination products seem like a nature thing to happen as far as general consumers are concerned.

IPR (patent fee) concerns are somewhat a barrier but in a volume business, new solutions would have be devised to avoid paying double and triple for the same patent when the application is similar in each instant (i.e. playing a VC-1 or MPEG-2 movie). And experiences are exclusive. (i.e. you play either DVD or HD DVD/BD, so why pay for both patents at the same time?)

Even now, the whole notion of “war” is overblown in my opinion. We have a very effective rental system which shields people from its effect which did not exist in previous “wars.” And we have a drive toward cheap hardware which likewise lessons the level of “harm” from picking the “wrong” format. The war is a boon to press and to folks who think one side should be shut down but other than that, it is not nearly as significant. Certainly from our point of view, we don’t worry a bit about BD format hanging around forever. But we digress .

Quote:
- One format wins, the other is abandoned.

Since no one is blinking on either side, this does not seem likely right now. Something unpredictable could happen of course but if we deal with the facts as we know it, this scenario cannot be supported as having high likelihood.

Quote:
- Something else you can maybe expound on?

A few other alternatives come to mind:

* Both formats grow to certain percentage of DVD sales and then get stuck there (say growing from current 0.5% to 20 or 25%). Title pricing will be most likely the reason for this as hardware cost will not be a factor per my hypothesis above. If one assumes price pressure will continue on current DVD titles, then pricing HD media where current DVDs are will be defensible. But higher premiums would keep the market from growing at some point. Then again, CDs did push up the ASP (average selling price) over LPs so maybe I am wrong . But I think consumers saw more value in that transition than here.

* Both grow so slowly as to compete with digital downloads as far as revenues/volume is concerned and given the cache of the former, lose steam. I don't think this is a likely outcome (in the next five years anyway) but it remains a distinct concern. HD video and interactivity is nice. How nice to average person, remains to be seen. We can guard against this outcome by making sure it is not an “either or” choice. Things like managed copy, digital downloads to enhance titles, etc., allow us to bridge the gap between the two means of delivery. But if folks stay too married to strict physical goods and not innovate, times may pass them by.

Now you know why are blazing the trail on interactivity for HD DVD . We feel that a “modern” optical format will have quite a strong staying power. A stale one that forces the old DVD business on you, less so.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Warner isn't doing Total HD for us, they are doing it for Warner. It's far cheaper in the long run for them to just sell one SKU. And their argument for it is, it's format-war safe. Which is true. No matter what happens in the format war, you have a movie you'll always be able to play.

Also, let's just call an apple an apple here. Total HD effectively means ALL movies for both formats will have a maximum of 25 gigs. Warner is not going to make different encodes for each format (they haven't so far). They are going to encode it once, and slap it on both sides. The only way the extra 5 gigs of space might get used for HD DVD is in extras.[/QUOTE]

From what Ive heard, later TotalHD discs will include the 50GB BR disc on one side. TotalHD is nice, but if you have both formats you are just paying more money to watch it one of two different players. TotalHD is a blow against BR, not HD. Much like the recently released LG Combo player (with is crippled towards HD anyway). These TotalHD discs can not be considered sales for either format.

[quote name='propeller_head']i think youre absolutely wrong. absolutely.

you will see. i remember reading it will be the same price. i think it was over at engadget. i would be surprised if it was even $2 more.[/QUOTE]

Did you read the quote I posted?

That was said by Warner Home Video president Ron Sanders. Not a guess by an analyst or an expert. It came directly from the horse's mouth.

The quote came from The Digital Bits article.

Here's the nitty gritty: Warner's THD disc will appear at retail starting in the second half of 2007. The discs will contain both an HD-DVD component and a Blu-ray Disc component on the same disc, and the movie and extras content will be exactly the same on each. No price was announced, but WHV president Ron Sanders claims that while he thinks consumers would be willing to "pay a little more" for the security of having a disc that's format war proof, the price "won't be very much more than current HD-DVDs and Blu-ray Discs." He also added that, "We're looking at this thing to consolidate SKU counts - Warner will only release in THD once we get up and running." Warner's senior vice president for marketing management, Steve Nickerson, actually demonstrated on stage a test THD disc containing clips from Superman Returns in both an HD-DVD player, a Blu-ray Disc player and LG's new Super Multi Blue combo player, and it worked perfectly in each (the Super Multi Blue player defaulted to Blu-ray in the demonstration). Surprisingly (though this remains to be proven), Nickerson claimed that each format on the disc will be "full capacity", meaning that you can include both single layer and dual layers for BOTH formats (either 15 or 30GB on the HD-DVD side and 25 or 50GB on the Blu-ray side). We believe THDs will include the different formats on either side of the disc.

Here's the even bigger surprise: Representatives of both New Line and HBO were on hand at the event... and they pledged to begin supporting THD in 2007. New Line's Steve Einhorn commented, "We plan to completely support THD specifically. This will move our schedule ahead considerably." In response to a question from the audience as to whether this means New Line will release the Lord of the Rings films in THD, he added that the studio was "working on it now", that the titles were "high on their agenda" and that they were "looking at the right time and venue" for the release.

Kevin Tsujihara, president of the Warner Home Entertainment Group, also indicated that THD "wasn't done to create a new revenue stream for Warner." Rather they did this as a solution to retailers and consumers in response to the format war. Licensing fees will not be paid to Warner for THD - they're paid instead to the HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc groups just as they would be for releases on either of those formats. Nickerson also added that the replication costs aren't that much higher than regular high-def discs. It was also revealed that the replication equipment to create THD discs is the same as is used to create regular HD-DVDs and Blu-ray Discs, so any replicator with both can produce THDs.

Tsujihara and Sanders produced statistics that they believe support their THD efforts, including that 49% of all consumers surveyed said they would be more likely to adopt high-definition on disc given the choice of THD. They cited projections indicating that there will be 55 million HDTV households in 2007, and 80 million by the end of 2008. They also cited HD-DVD Promotion Group numbers indicating that 2.5 million HD-DVD capable devices will be in homes in 2007, while the Blu-ray Disc Association claims that 6.2 million Blu-ray capable devices will arrive in homes in 2007 (numbers for both formats include game systems). Added to the 775,000 high def players (of both formats) that are reportedly already in homes, that makes a whopping 9 million high def players by the end of 2007... and THDs will work in all of them, regardless of format. By comparison, at the end of DVD's first year, only 1.9 million players were in consumers' homes - a sign (they believe) that the adoption of high-definition discs could be even bigger than DVD.

Like I said, it still remains to be seen if Warner can pull this off technically. With multiple layers and two formats on each disc, there's the potential for compatibility problems. One also wonders if other studios would support it (Tsujihara claims other studios are "evaluating" the format). But just the fact that THD brings New Line into the high-def fray alone is a big deal. As Warner admits, even if THD is only a temporary solution for consumers in the format war... it will still help to pull those consumers in from the sidelines sooner. And if it ultimately turns out that either Blu-ray or HD-DVD wins the format war... those consumers will still have THD discs that work on the winning format's hardware.

[quote name='gizmogc']So sorry. You have 1 HD-DVD Combo, I forgot! Please let him post anything he wants, he has a Combo. Yet he does not want HD-DVD at all...oh wait, he does right after a mod came into this thread.

Feel free to post in this thread but do not back HD-DVD in anyway. Feel free to start a Blu-Ray topic in the PS3 forum (there should be one anyway) if you want to discuss Blu-Ray movies.[/QUOTE]
please show me where I posted this, and this is a SOFTWARE thread, and I own a piece of HD DVD software, so I can post

BTW, the SD side of The Departed looks better than the normal SD DVD

[quote name='gizmogc']From what Ive heard, later TotalHD discs will include the 50GB BR disc on one side. [/QUOTE]

Maybe they will. Not even Sony can get dual layer to work on a flip disk though (otherwise they would have combos just like HD DVD). Maybe technology will improve eventually to allow it, but it isn't going to happen any time soon.

[quote name='anomynous']please show me where I posted this, and this is a SOFTWARE thread, and I own a piece of HD DVD software, so I can post

BTW, the SD side of The Departed looks better than the normal SD DVD[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I can't show you since the mods already removed that post and the reply I posted to it.

[quote name='gizmogc']Sorry, I can't show you since the mods already removed that post and the reply I posted to it.[/QUOTE]
Saying I want to get a blu ray player before I get a HD DVD player is different than saying I dont want a HD DVD player

[quote name='anomynous']Saying I want to get a blu ray player before I get a HD DVD player is different than saying I dont want a HD DVD player[/QUOTE]

You don't even own either format. You simply have a HD-DVD Combo. Your not supporting either format but feel the need to bash HD-DVD for no other reason then what you read in the Best Buy ad. Come back and post when you get an HD or BR player of some kind.

Here's something I don't understand for the life of me. Why are BR folks so insistent on wanting HD DVD to die. I mean PS3 being around guarantees that even if BR loses the format war and your BR player goes you can just buy a PS3 to play the BR discs you still have. Seriously if HD DVD wins no one really loses.

anomynous, we went through this once already. All your posts do is cause arguments in this thread. This thread is for people who own the particular format and can comment and have a civilized discussion.

You own an HD-DVD, but you can't watch it. Okay. That doesn't really give any reason for you to post here.

For the last time, stop posting in this thread.

[quote name='Sarang01']Here's something I don't understand for the life of me. Why are BR folks so insistent on wanting HD DVD to die. I mean PS3 being around guarantees that even if BR loses the format war and your BR player goes you can just buy a PS3 to play the BR discs you still have. Seriously if HD DVD wins no one really loses.[/QUOTE]

Because most of them are the same idiots who think if they spend 400-600 dollars, they have to justify it by buying into "the best"

As long as HD-DVD is around, there's a chance that they bought into the "wrong side"

[quote name='Sarang01']Here's something I don't understand for the life of me. Why are BR folks so insistent on wanting HD DVD to die. I mean PS3 being around guarantees that even if BR loses the format war and your BR player goes you can just buy a PS3 to play the BR discs you still have. Seriously if HD DVD wins no one really loses.[/QUOTE]

If it was not for this 'war' we would not have HD and BR players so cheap, so fast, and so many great movies on both formats. If it was just one format we would have a much slower release cycle. No sales, nothing. Competition like this is good, not bad.

This is my last post in this thread (for now):

Seriously, I just watched the SD side of The Departed on HD DVD upscaled, and it looked a lot better than the normal DVD upscaled. Are all the HD DVD combos like that?

Actually, and this may just be from here at CAG, but the die hard HD-DVD folk seem more insistant that Blu-ray die off, espeically early on. Now that Blu-ray's catching up we don't hear the real early fanboys as much, but for awhile there there wasn't a week that didn't pass where there was some thread about how we should all get behind HD-DVD coming from Ruined. And I won't name anymore names but there's clearly people around here that will only talk up one while trying to put down the other as much as possible, and while I'm sure the ol' flame shield will need to go up here this being the HD-DVD thread and all, alot of that is happening on the HD-DVD side of things still. My guess is that is due to the cheaper nature in all of us as HD-DVD was the cheaper format for much longer and still is. However if anything much of the Blu-ray talk has been placed for someone to get behind the PS3 as a system, not so much BD as a format, unless they're challenged then some people go a bit nuts.

This is why a format war of any kind sorta sucks, though it goes against my CAG blood, I'd almost rather pay slighty higher prices to lose the die-hard, stubborn rabel rousers (sp?) at times... Nah, screw all that noise, higher prices suck. The competition does drive prices down which I do enjoy, still the my overall issue remains somewhat valid.

There's no reason to post the entire upcoming release list in the OP right now. There is a link an upcoming release list right there. I will continue to do the upcoming and current week.

[quote name='anomynous']

Seriously, I just watched the SD side of The Departed on HD DVD upscaled, and it looked a lot better than the normal DVD upscaled. Are all the HD DVD combos like that?[/QUOTE]
Never heard of that. I guess if it was mastered differently it's possible. That just doesn't seem too likely since every version came out at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back