HD DVDs .. on the cheap?

jaysapathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I've seen lots of posts on HD DVD "fire sales," but I'm always late to the dance. Are there any online retailers that are still selling them? I have an FYE here, and that's quite possibly the only retail store that does. They've got a very small used section with about 20 titles, and they keep saying that once that section is gone, it's gone for good. Movies like Phantom, Pan's Labyrinth, and Sleepy Hollow belong on my shelf, but I can't even find the damn things for less than $20 on ebay. Advice? Suggestions? Anyone looking to dump their personal collection for really really cheap? :p

The site I go to for hd-dvd movies is www.inetvideo.com. You will find a decent collection on this site, with only $3 shipping per a movie about. I have a decent collection myself if you are interested in trading/buying.

My collection right now consists of 8 mighty titles (300, Constantine, The Departed, Fear & Loathing, The Frighteners, King Kong, Shaun Of The Dead, Swordfish) and I have an associate who's looking for others. I'll definately check out that site, and I'm interested in what titles you have to sell/trade. :D

Edit: Disappointingly, upon first click of that site, I see "Liquidation sale, everything must go!"

Maybe it's time to shift to Blu-Ray..

Damn, that's a good price. Wish there was a Fry's here. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in the armpit of Americana where Wal-Mart is considered 'big business' and Best Buy is your 'multimedia warehouse'.

This state sucks.

[quote name='knifefish']When I was a Fry's in Roseville, CA, a few days ago, I saw many carts full of HD-DVDs priced at $7.98 apiece. Can't recall any of the titles because I didn't really look at them but if you have one in your area, it's worth checking out.

There's also a thread about Fry's discounting:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187080[/quote]

Best Buy online has a slowly decreasing selection of HD-DVD titles, though there's some ones to go pick out of their list of titles:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?st=processingtime%3A%3E1900-01-01&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031~~ccat02015%23%230%23%231du5~~nf535||48442d445644&usc=cat02015&nrp=15&type=page&sp=%2Bcurrentprice+skuid&sc=movieSP&id=pcat17080

Most likely you'll end up paying shipping, which recently, hasn't been too terrible.

[quote name='knifefish']When I was a Fry's in Roseville, CA, a few days ago, I saw many carts full of HD-DVDs priced at $7.98 apiece. Can't recall any of the titles because I didn't really look at them but if you have one in your area, it's worth checking out.

There's also a thread about Fry's discounting:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187080[/quote]

Actually only a FEW of the HD-DVD's are $7.99 in those carts. It's $7.99 and UP. Most are between $9.99 and $11.99 however...so still really good prices.

i was just at hollywood video and they were having a 50% off on preowned titles sale (saw another hollywood video with a b2g2 sale so i guess ymmv on sales). there was a little stand for hd-dvds and they applied the sale to those as well. all the hd-dvds i saw were $14.99 so they ended up being $7.50 a piece. totally ymmv on your hollywood video still having hd-dvds in stock or applying any sales to them.

i picked up:
michael clayton (brand new unopened)
lady in the water
departed

Not sure if your interested but I have a few HD DVD's on my list. Some brand new and some used. CML or pm me if interested.

I'll have to check my local Hollywood Video, but I'm pretty sure that the instant it was announce that Blu-Ray won the war, some reseller cleaned them out. It's pissing me off, because I'm trying to find things like Pan's Labyrinth, Sleepy Hollow, or Army Of Darkness.. All popular movies, and I always get there late. Ah well. Are HD-DVDs still considered fodder? I don't see many of them on lists (except the one above). Woudln't matter, I have shite to trade these days anyway. :D

I usually go through Amazon resellers or the fine folks in the trading forum at HighDefDigest.com. Especially the latter; you can often find some real bargains.

That's amazing. I'll hit up a few of my local pawn shops, and see what I can find. Any chance of working something out to have you pick them up? ;)

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Another option: pawn shops.

At my local pawn shops, HD DVDs and cheaper than regular DVDs.[/quote]

highdefdigest is good, avsforum is good, but if you want to go somewhere where it's still very active check this place out. If you sign up to join, make sure you mention me in there - there are contests for recruiting new members. We have movie weekends, where everyone watches the same movie and discusses the next week. Recently we had our own little special with inetvideo.com - which was a site suggested to you a bit earlier, where members of the group recieved free shipping - I ordered 8 dvd's for under $60 and got free shipping. There will be more of these in the future. It's a very active HD DVD community, with only a few people who have made the transition to Blu. No harm in trying, there's no spam email, and it's pretty friendly. Shout a "hello" to the group when you join, people will be very welcoming.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/thebombshelter/

bread's done
Back