HDMI--> DVI Discussion.............. I Need Help!

captmurphy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
I am ditching my Wii in favor of a Ps3 tomorrow (yay!). I am picking up a slightly used Ps3 60gb with 2 sixaxis controllers, resistance, Cod3 and NHL 2k7 for $550, which I think is pretty dang sweet. Cod3 and NHL 2k7 are going to be sold, so I am getting a pretty good deal.

However, I have a question (and if I didn't, this would be the wrong forum). I want to hook the PS3 up to my monitor via an HDMI to DVI cable. My monitor's native resolution is 1650x1050... will the PS3 output at 1080p and scale it down a little bit, or does it have specific resolution settings like the 360? Also, to people who use a HDMI-->DVI cable, how is the picture quality? I hope the blu-rays are displayed in 1080p instead of being downscaled to 480p. Any info you guys could provide would be great.

HDMI to DVI shouldn't suffer at all in quality. They are equivalent signals, but HDMI also can carry audio. One way to tell how much of a "conversion" goes on between different types of connections is the cost of the adapter. You can pick up an HDMI/DVI adapter for like $5 so there's not much going on there. I don't use one for my PS3, but I do use one for my Mac mini (DVI to HDMI) and it works perfectly.

I can't answer your other question. And you got a GREAT deal on that PS3.

The ps3 has specific resolution settings, the picture will apear a bit weird on your screen, but will still be 1080p (for all intent and purposes)

[quote name='captmurphy']What do you mean weird? Like out of focus weird or stretched weird?[/quote]

I honestly haven't seen it, but unless the monitor scales it, which is possible, it will be a little cut off, seeing how hte ps3 outputs in 1900X1080p where as your monitor is 1650*1050. I would wait till someone who actually uses that though, but I think that is what would happen.

[quote name='torifile']1080p is 1920x1080. Anything less is not 1080p. Why do you think they'd be downscaled to 480p? 720p is in between 1080 and 480 you know. ;)[/quote]

I know. I read somewhere that blu-ray movies aren't shown in 720p... only 480p and 1080i/1080p resolutions.

Hey sorry to post a little OT but I'm also thinking about getting a 60 gb PS3 tomorrow with:
Need for speed carbon, fight night round 3, elder scrolls oblivion, resistance fall of man, call of duty 3, mission imposible 3 on blue ray disk and extra wireless controller

How does $650 sound for it? I know it's a relatively new system but I've been seeing a few people sell them for 50-100 under retail already so this may only be ok. Not too sure, I'd like some CAG's opinion on it.

60GB = $599 + Games (5 X $50) + Controller ($50)+ Movie ($25?) = $924 - $650 = Saving of $274.

I think Need for Speed is only $40 and you can add or subtract a few bucks on everything (rounded down the others which can go for $60), depending on where you pick them up but you're going to save at least $200 if that is stuff you would have wanted to get later on new.

That's one chepass deal! I don't even care about the DVI problem you're having...

Okay, dude, before i brought my PS3, i had the same problem. I don't have HDMI connector on my DLP, but i do have a DVI... So i researched HDMI to DVI topic and got myself a HDMI to DVI cable (the pic quality is same, only HDMI has audio signals, i.e. one less cable on the back of your TV). Of course, if the distant between the monitor and the device is more than 40 feet, then there could be a difference in signal strength, i.e. HDMI is better than DVI over length of cable. BUT 40 feet? Who connects anything to the TV with that distant? Unleess of course, you're planning sharing the device with someone next door? But in that case, how the hell you planning turn on/off the device?

Anyhow, i thought i'm set for DVI, but heck, after getting the component cable (works on PS2 and PS3), i'm all for component... Well, it's a softer cable and the DLP got three set of component inputs, it's a no brainer connection. Pic quality? Really cool... Genji, Resistance, CoD3, all instantly look like the show pieces you would see in CC or BB stores.

Update! Got my PS3 bundle today at the above price, and I'm pretty excited about it. I ordered an HDMI cable and a DVI adaptor at Monoprice.com ($13 shipped ain't too shabby), so I suppose I will just answer my own question in a couple days. I will update this when that happens for those that are curious.

UPDATE - MY HDMI cable and Male DVI converter came today, but it was a real tight squeeze to make it fit on my monitor, causing the cable to kink pretty severely. Also, the converter was so wide it wouldn't fit with my 360 VGA cable at the same time.

Long story short, I couldn't get the PS3 to work on the monitor. The PS3 knew there was an HDMI connection, and the monitor WAS getting a signal (meaning it would change from totally black to a lesser black when the PS3 was turned on), but no image ever came up. I just ordered a female HDMI to DVI adaptor from monoprice... hopefully it works, and I can use it with the DVI cable I have already that DOES fit on my monitor with the 360's VGA cable.

I suppose any help you guys could provide would be great. I havn't played the PS3 yet because I want to do it right (I.E. in high def) and I am getting antsy.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Why didn't you just buy an HDMI-DVI cable?[/quote]

Because I know that sometime in the future (when I buy another TV) I will want to use an HDMI connection exclusively.

[quote name='captmurphy']Because I know that sometime in the future (when I buy another TV) I will want to use an HDMI connection exclusively.[/QUOTE]
To be honest, I would have just dropped the $8 and bought the cable from Monoprice. You've probably already spent that amount on the adaptors alone.

I'm pretty sure you can run into problems when using an adaptor instead of a single cable. I'd have to look into it because I'm not 100%, but I'm fairly confident I've read stories regarding HDMI cables + adaptors causing problems on PC monitors.

Edit: BTW, I'm assuming you held on the power button for 10 seconds to reset the output settings?

That sucks, dude. Nothing's worse than thinking you're finally ready to get your game on and having to wait. And wait. And wait. Avoiding that waiting is the only reason I still shop in Best Buy and/or Circuit City. And sometimes I'll buy something from there and return after I come to my senses and realize I can save $$ by ordering online. :shame: :D

Make sure your monitor is capable of receiving an HDCP signal, if not it wont work.
What is the make and model of the monitor?

Ugh... that's annoying. Guess I'll have to use an analog signal via component cables and buy a VGA adaptor or something. Suggestions?

I will be moving to Italy next year, so I guess owning a PS3 will have to wait once again to the Summer of 08. I have no way to play this thing, so I am forced to sell.

bread's done
Back