HDMI or component cable

Component carries an analog audiovisual signal, the quality of which can be affected by the cable itself. HDMI carries a purely digital signal, meaning that no matter what, as long as it's working at all, the data will be the same on one end, as it is on the other.

In other words, HDMI.

Also note that because it data digitally, you don't need to shell out for "premium" HDMI cable. Don't be fooled by marketing from companies like Monster Cable: all HDMI cables carry the same digital signals, and there is no variance in quality. Go for the cheap stuff; it'll work just as well.

HDMI. I definitely noticed a better picture compared to component cables. Just don't get fooled by places like Best Buy into spending 100 dollars on an HDMI cord.

There isn't MUCH of a difference between the two, at least between quality. However, HDMI can carry 7.1 surround sound and 1080p, while component only does 1080i. (On the PS3 at least.)

[quote name='Access_Denied']while component only does 1080i. (On the PS3 at least.)[/QUOTE]

Depends on the devices you are using. My tv accepts 1080p through component and that is what I use on one of my xbox 360s.

[quote name='Malik112099']Depends on the devices you are using. My tv accepts 1080p through component and that is what I use on one of my xbox 360s.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you're right. I know the TV has to support it, but I was under the impression that the PS3 didn't support 1080p over component, only HDMI, but it turns out I was wrong. However, at the 1080p stage, I would certainly use HDMI over component.

If you have the choice I'd say to go with HDMI, you can get better cables for less money, less clutter, ease of connection and maybe some extra functionality (i.e. I can turn on/off my console with my TV remote).

Also, as someone has already mentioned, not all TV's accept 1080p through component cable (even if the cables theoretically can carry the signal)

bread's done
Back