HDMI Problems & PS3

Can anyone confirm if the new firmware will fix the sparkling and the syncing issues when using the 42 inch 1080 p westinghouse with the PS3 on HDMI?

[quote name='Zoglog']those issues don't mean much to me. If you have the money to buy a ps3, a 720HDTV shouldnt even be an issue. [/QUOTE]

What the hell does that mean? I have a 1080i only HDTV and could easily afford a PS3. But I don't want to spend $2000 replacing my perfectly functioning HDTV because the stupid PS3 doesn't support it. If they don't fix it I'll end up getting a 360 eventually.

I mean, I could buy another HDTV but then I'd have to do something with that 200 pound behemoth SONY brand TV sitting in my living room. That's not a practical thing just so I can play some arcade games in Hi-Def (as I also have no interest in the PS3 launch lineup). I was HOPING to get a PS3 for the titles I expect down the road (FF, Jak, etc). Hopefully they'll do a hardware revision on the PS3 by then (adding an upscaler) or more games will support 1080i. I'm a bit disappointed as I wanted some HD content, finally, to display on this TV I've had for 3 years ;). But I'll just have to wait and see how it shakes out. Meanwhile I can play the Wii and catch up on my huge PS2 backlog. Hopefully I can get a cheaper, improved PS3 or 360 and a bunch of cheap-ass games in a while - so maybe it was all for the best in a CAG sense.

I just called IAI directly after being given the # from westinghouse and they had told me westing only sent them 25 kits to upgrade all the LCD tvs in the entire US and also the first batch of Kits sent to them were bad. I should get a call soon per Thad from IAI. Hopefully the firmware upgrade will fix some of the issues.

For all of you that is geting a black screen using HDMI do this.

Using A/V , go to video output settings on the PS3 and in the settings for
A/V change the display to 16:9.

Now put the display on HDMI, and it should work.

Change the resolution ti 720 or use the 5 second thing.

Thats what I did with my friend and the picture and sound was perfect.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but with a dearth of new PS3 owners coming thanks to the price drop, this problem may crop up again. If there's an easy solution for the HDMI Video & Optical Audio problem Cheapy posted about, then I missed it and apologize.

However, I'm having the exact same problem where the video drops out during game & movie play, and the Hold the Button/2 Beeps solution fixes it, but as soon as I switch to optical audio, the problem happens all over again.

I was planning on using the PS3 as my primary DVD player, so I would greatly prefer to route the audio through my receiver and not just my TV speakers. Not to mention I would like to have surround sound during gameplay.

Again, if I missed the solution, sorry for bumping such an old thread, and thanks in advance for any help!

Oh, and my TV is a Sharp Aquos LC-32D42U, my PS3 firmware is up to date, and I am frustrated. Thanks!

I'm gonna bump this, because I'm planning on purchasing a PS3 in a couple of weeks and also like the above poster am planning on using it as my primary DVD player, and I'm a bit paranoid, so yeah, any and all info is appreciated...
-Goatman

[quote name='goatindaruffness']I'm gonna bump this, because I'm planning on purchasing a PS3 in a couple of weeks and also like the above poster am planning on using it as my primary DVD player, and I'm a bit paranoid, so yeah, any and all info is appreciated...
-Goatman[/QUOTE]

I called Sony support, and the best they could do is tell me to set my PS3 audio to optical out, turn off all my audio options, then one by one turn them back on until I found out what the problem was, and leave that setting off. The guy said something about my receiver not being "strong enough" for it. Whatever that means. The irony is that it's a Sony receiver.

Anyway, the problem came from the 5.1 Surround option, which I now have to leave off to do anything past the Home screen. So no surround sound with games, but at least I can watch movies that have DTS surround. Small comfort.

I wonder if "not strong enough" is an industry term? Perhaps I need a new receiver with more betters.

hi guys,
i posted also this in avsforum.

i have the same problem w/ my PS3 and hitachi projector also. i can set my projector to 1080 but when i play dvds i get picture w/ purple tint all over (sometimes greenish).
i tried updating the latest firmware but still got the same problem.
but the other day while browsing the setting of my projector, i accidentally saw the color space configuration setting in its input menu. it was set to auto. so i tried the other option. when i set it to RGB the picture went to 1080. very crisp and upscaled.
so now im using hdmi for video and the PS3 multi for auto w/o problems.
so, i recommend for those whose using HDMI for their video to browse the picture and color setting in the input menu of ur display.
give it a try and it might work for u also.
hope this help.

Hey all,

I hate to zombie a dead thread, but I could really use some help diagnosing a problem. I recently bought a used 20 gig PS3 from Gamestop to go with my recently bought Samsung LNT4061F, hooked it up to the TV with an HDMI cable, and began setting up the PS3. The PS3 displayed fine for the setup menus, but when I got to games (Maximo), the TV froze with the display a black and white fuzz, with a green line. I tried again by resetting the PS3 (including the two beep video setup mode), and got different issues. Sometimes, the video would freeze with some off color sections while the sound would continue or eventually stop. Othertimes, the TV would completely lose the signal while the PS3 was still fully on. I've also noticed flickering of the TV video signal between the PS3 home screen and a game screen (1080p to 720p). I've been doing research online, yet have not seen any definitive answer as to whether it's a TV firmware issue, TV mainboard issue, PS3 HDMI issue, or just a busted PS3. Has anyone else heard of this issue? I don't think the PS3 is busted completely, because I've been able to play Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Maximo for awhile each on it. The problems mostly occur during in game cutscenes and they don't happen after a certain length of time. I've heard that some PS3s have problems with HDMI, but I really don't want to keep the thing if I can't get 1080p output. Any help or advice people can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey all,

sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but I came across the same problem Cheapy is/was having. Only difference is, i'm running the HDMI through my receiver and then to the TV. My setup:
42" Toshiba DLP Proejection TV (720p, forget the model name off-hand))
60GB PS3
Yamaha HTR-6060 Receiver.

Now I must re-iterate that this seems to be the exact same problem, once the PLaystation3 screen starts to fade, it looks like it's clicking over, but then bam, dead video & audio.

I can switch the inputs on my receiver to anything and then back, and the Audio & video are back. (PS3 loads it fine, but just doesn't display.)

At first I thought it was a problem with my receiver, as I have to switch it over, but after watching that video, i'm not so sure.

I have emailed both yamaha & sony about this, and hopefully I get a positive response.

Thank you all for the tips & tricks, I will definately have to see about my TV's firmware, i'm not sure which version of HDMI it supports, and that my be the issue. I don't necessarily think it is, as the video & audio are fine after I switch back to the signal.

This is definately strange, and it will be nice to see a solution, if there is one.

If anyone has found the problem, please let me know!

Thanks!

[quote name='floodgate']Sorry to bump such an old thread, but with a dearth of new PS3 owners coming thanks to the price drop, this problem may crop up again. If there's an easy solution for the HDMI Video & Optical Audio problem Cheapy posted about, then I missed it and apologize.

However, I'm having the exact same problem where the video drops out during game & movie play, and the Hold the Button/2 Beeps solution fixes it, but as soon as I switch to optical audio, the problem happens all over again.

I was planning on using the PS3 as my primary DVD player, so I would greatly prefer to route the audio through my receiver and not just my TV speakers. Not to mention I would like to have surround sound during gameplay.

Again, if I missed the solution, sorry for bumping such an old thread, and thanks in advance for any help!

Oh, and my TV is a Sharp Aquos LC-32D42U, my PS3 firmware is up to date, and I am frustrated. Thanks![/quote]

NO, this was a good thread to bump, It took me a little trial and error when hooking my HDMI up. I believe the 1080i issues are still present if I'm not mistaken, but I have a 720p HDTV and it seems to play perfectly.

[quote name='floodgate']Sorry to bump such an old thread, but with a dearth of new PS3 owners coming thanks to the price drop, this problem may crop up again. If there's an easy solution for the HDMI Video & Optical Audio problem Cheapy posted about, then I missed it and apologize.

Oh, and my TV is a Sharp Aquos LC-32D42U, my PS3 firmware is up to date, and I am frustrated. Thanks![/quote]

I have an Aquos LC-37D43U, and have the same problem. It's not optical audio that kills it for me, it's enabling DD 5.1 and/or DTS. 2ch mode works fine, games don't flicker at all. But as soon as I enable DD/DTS, and start a game, the TV blinks / flickers as though it can't handshake properly with the PS3.

One solution that worked for me was to run video/audio over HDMI to the TV, then optical out from the TV to the receiver. That allowed me to enable DD/DTS and have no flickering. I'll admit, things are still buggy -- when I put in a DVD to get DD/DTS I have to go to AV Settings, and bounce from 'Linear PCM' back to 'Bitstream' and sometimes the TV doesn't passthru the audio properly - I'll look at the back and the optical out isn't even glowing (ie: no data being transmitted). Powering things off / switching inputs seems to fix it.

I got a bit sick of all of the above tonight, so I actually tried calling Sony. They weren't much help - offered to take the unit in and swap it for a new one. Since I bought it at Costco I could do the same myself, but I have a feeling it's symptomatic of a larger problem with either the PS3 or the TV. Next step is to call Sharp, and see if they can send a tech out.

Hate to be one to bump as well. I've just started playing ps2 games on my ps3 60 and am having probs with video flickering once and then no sound on the games. I've been using HDMI then switched to AV to get the games to run with sound which sucks! Anyone have any ideas? (Not going through my stereo straight wiring to my tv).
:imwithst:

[quote name='catbigred']Hate to be one to bump as well. I've just started playing ps2 games on my ps3 60 and am having probs with video flickering once and then no sound on the games. I've been using HDMI then switched to AV to get the games to run with sound which sucks! Anyone have any ideas? (Not going through my stereo straight wiring to my tv).
:imwithst:[/QUOTE]

Does PS3 games work fine? Only PS2? What kind of TV is it? My 60GB is hooked up with HDMI to a Sony KDL-32ML130 and has worked flawlessly. I'm using the TV speakers though so no additional equipment is factored in.

[quote name='catbigred']Hate to be one to bump as well. I've just started playing ps2 games on my ps3 60 and am having probs with video flickering once and then no sound on the games. I've been using HDMI then switched to AV to get the games to run with sound which sucks! Anyone have any ideas? (Not going through my stereo straight wiring to my tv).
:imwithst:[/QUOTE]

Mine does that. I've learned to ignore it though since it doesn't happen very often.

Every once in a while the sound will go out when I am playing a PS3 game. I have to exit the game and then load it again for the sound to come back. I tried searching to see if this is a common issue but didn't come up with anything. I haven't tried connecting with the AV cables, and don't really want to.

[quote name='Apoth']Hey all,

sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but I came across the same problem Cheapy is/was having. Only difference is, i'm running the HDMI through my receiver and then to the TV. My setup:
42" Toshiba DLP Proejection TV (720p, forget the model name off-hand))
60GB PS3
Yamaha HTR-6060 Receiver.

Now I must re-iterate that this seems to be the exact same problem, once the PLaystation3 screen starts to fade, it looks like it's clicking over, but then bam, dead video & audio.

I can switch the inputs on my receiver to anything and then back, and the Audio & video are back. (PS3 loads it fine, but just doesn't display.)

At first I thought it was a problem with my receiver, as I have to switch it over, but after watching that video, i'm not so sure.

I have emailed both yamaha & sony about this, and hopefully I get a positive response.

Thank you all for the tips & tricks, I will definately have to see about my TV's firmware, i'm not sure which version of HDMI it supports, and that my be the issue. I don't necessarily think it is, as the video & audio are fine after I switch back to the signal.

This is definately strange, and it will be nice to see a solution, if there is one.

If anyone has found the problem, please let me know!

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Hi, I am having exactly the same issue as mentioned above. My HDMI was perfect when connected directly to my 1080P TV, however purchased a new Sony Muteki system which utilises the Sony STR-K7000 amp. Every time the PS3 switches on, I need to flick away on the amp to a different AV channel then come back again and I have a picture.

Sometimes I have to turn the amp on and off several times to have it pick up a picture. My set top box and xbox 360 are fine through the amp, it's just the PS3 that has a problem.

My retailer switched amps for me on the weekend and I have the same problem with the brand new amp. So it is the PS3 that has a problem.

I have tried all steps as advised by Sony and which are included in this thread.

It just seems my $900 Sony amp can't handshake to the Sony PS3.

Nice job Sony!

I have a Samsung DLP (HL61A75a!f) and I run my audio through a crappy Samsung DVD/Receiver combo (HT-P38)- so the TVs internal speakers are off. The audio goes into the TV and out from the TV to the receiver. When my PS3 boots up a Blu-Ray disc, the handshake causes the internal speakers to start working on a relatively high sound setting.

This seems to be an extension of the problem above, but in reverse- my PS3 is reading the TVs 2.1 internal settings, and forcing the speakers to come on. It only happens with Blu-Rays though.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK there are a lot of people in this thread with exactly the same problem. Has anyone actually managed to solve it or is the PS3 just a dog for HDMI?

To me, Sony need to correct this and I will not rest until the issue is solved.

So far I have tried four brands of HDMI cable, two amps and two PS3's and have the same issue each and every time.

Again when I plug the PS3 straight to the TV there is no problem.

Yes I could run Optical for audio and be happy but I just spent $1000 on a 7.2 Sony system so I need the HDMI audio for 7.2....

Sony are now trying to tell me it's my TV, but it's not as I have already proven that by running the PS3 straight to the TV....

EDIT: just posted this on the AVS Forum.

I've got the PS3 connected (via HDMI) to a Panasonic 42" plasma, model number TH-42PX500 (Japanese TV).
The PS3 is set to output to 720p, which my TV can handle.

Everything is fine until I launch a PS3 game. Once I do that, after the "Playstation 3" logo appears, the screen goes black. The game is loading fine, I just cant see it.

The only way I can regain control of my TV at this point is to tune into the regular TV channels using my TV remote. Only then I can use the input selection button to get back to HDMI. Once I do this, I can see and play the game.

My guess is that the PS3 is sending some kind of signal through the HDMI cable that is making the TV unhappy. The strange thing is, I tried a PS1 game and it worked fine.

I have the same issue as cheapyD.
Did cheapyD or any of the numerous other posters here who had the problem finally find a solution?

My problem:
- I have a PS3 with latest updates
- I want to use HDMI for video (to Sharp Aquos LC-C3242U) and optical out to get 5.1 Dolby to my receiver (Onkyo SR304)
- Video Settings on PS3: HDMI with 420p, 720p and 1080i selected
- Audio settings on PS3: Optical out with Dolby 5.1, Liner PCM 44.1, Linear PCM 48 selected (The latter 2 cannot be deselected. I have tried various combinations without Dolby, with DTS, both Dolby and DTS etc)
- Problem is that I get clear audio on my home theatre system but video blanks out when I start a game with Dolby 5.1 out
- I can play a DVD with 5.1 output and when I do this the video is OK (Though I did have problems initially)
- Video plays when showing the home menu on PS3. Video also plays for stereo videos on my hard disk. But video goes off on starting demo games installed on the hard disk and for all games played from disk.
- There is a white flash (sometime more than 1) before the display goes off on starting a game. Occassionally the video would seem to reappear for a second and finally it goes blank. At this time my TV remote seem to be useless too, until I switch off my PS3 or eject the game disc. When game disc is ejected I get the video back.
- I have tried a low end HDMI cable, a Belkin cable and Sony's $79 HDMI cable meant for PS3 (I had thought it was a cable issue, but it is not apparently)
- When I switch both video and audio to HDMI, things work fine. Same is the case for video through HDMI and audio thtrough AV multi cable supplied with PS3. But I don't get 5.1 output for any of these. (my receiver does not have HDMI in)

Does anyone have a solution to this? Will appreciate your reply.

Unfortunately guys the only way I solved it was to buy a new TV.... I tried everything, even three amps I returned to my retailer thinking it was the new amp I bought, I tried about six different brands of HDMI cables, and nothing worked.

So I bought a new TV and have never had the problem since.

My unit that was playing up was a brand new 40" Hisense 1080P LCD.... so I put that in the family room and bought a 47" 1080P LG...

Unfortunately do not waste any more money on HDMI cables, there is obviously an incompatibility in the PS3's HDMI handshake process, when it changes resolutions to launch a game. Some sets must re-request a new HDMI handshake at which time possibly the PS3 fails to reply, hence picture drops until you re-initiate the process by switching channels and coming back.

If you google or youtube the problem it is unfortunately quite prolific!:bomb:

Thanks for the reply natjen.
Its sad that there is no other solution than a new TV.
I tried the foll and got Killzone 2 to work with HDMI video and Dolby out.
- enabled HDMI out with 480p and 1080i. unchecked 720p
- enabled Optical audio out with Dolby 5.1, PCM 44.1, PCM 48
But I had problems after I exited out of Killzone 2 and launched another game. it switched to 480p and seem to have gottten stuck there. (It probably was a 720p game)

I would still like to see if anyone else had some workarounds.

does your tv have optical out?

i have my ps3 A/v thru the hdmi to the tv then optical out from tv to the sound system and i get the 5.1

[quote name='naaz-gul']Thanks for the reply natjen.
Its sad that there is no other solution than a new TV.
I tried the foll and got Killzone 2 to work with HDMI video and Dolby out.
- enabled HDMI out with 480p and 1080i. unchecked 720p
- enabled Optical audio out with Dolby 5.1, PCM 44.1, PCM 48
But I had problems after I exited out of Killzone 2 and launched another game. it switched to 480p and seem to have gottten stuck there. (It probably was a 720p game)

I would still like to see if anyone else had some workarounds.[/quote]

Some peeps had some success with different HDMI cables, but that's an expensive experiment, I know....

[quote name='naaz-gul']I have the same issue as cheapyD.
Did cheapyD or any of the numerous other posters here who had the problem finally find a solution?

My problem:
- I have a PS3 with latest updates
- I want to use HDMI for video (to Sharp Aquos LC-C3242U) and optical out to get 5.1 Dolby to my receiver (Onkyo SR304)
- Video Settings on PS3: HDMI with 420p, 720p and 1080i selected
- Audio settings on PS3: Optical out with Dolby 5.1, Liner PCM 44.1, Linear PCM 48 selected (The latter 2 cannot be deselected. I have tried various combinations without Dolby, with DTS, both Dolby and DTS etc)
- Problem is that I get clear audio on my home theatre system but video blanks out when I start a game with Dolby 5.1 out
- I can play a DVD with 5.1 output and when I do this the video is OK (Though I did have problems initially)
- Video plays when showing the home menu on PS3. Video also plays for stereo videos on my hard disk. But video goes off on starting demo games installed on the hard disk and for all games played from disk.
- There is a white flash (sometime more than 1) before the display goes off on starting a game. Occassionally the video would seem to reappear for a second and finally it goes blank. At this time my TV remote seem to be useless too, until I switch off my PS3 or eject the game disc. When game disc is ejected I get the video back.
- I have tried a low end HDMI cable, a Belkin cable and Sony's $79 HDMI cable meant for PS3 (I had thought it was a cable issue, but it is not apparently)
- When I switch both video and audio to HDMI, things work fine. Same is the case for video through HDMI and audio thtrough AV multi cable supplied with PS3. But I don't get 5.1 output for any of these. (my receiver does not have HDMI in)

Does anyone have a solution to this? Will appreciate your reply.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar set up to yours, 37" sharp 43U, and an integra 7.3 receiver. Was doing the exact thing as you as far as audio set-up Video through HDMI, and audio through receiver, and had exact same issues with screen flashing.
Upgraded to an onkyo 806 and thought passing both audio and video through hdmi would solve the issue but it didnt, it wasnt until I purchase a new Sharp model that the issue was resolved. Dont know if was an hdmi 1.1 issue or HDCP, but basically its the tv thats causing the refresh issue.
One little fix that worked for me, was to start a game, if the screen started flashing like it was trying to switch resolution, I would just switch inputs to my directv receiver which is set at 1080i, let it stay there for like 5 seconds and then switch right back to the ps3 input, and the flashing would be gone.

Wow, so it sounds like TV is the culprit here. It is 2 years old.
Thanks for the responses edson13,m_d_amore and natjen.

m_d_amore. I had tried your strategy too. But the optical out from my TV only results in stereo . When I send the optical out from TV to Onkyo receiver it defaults to Dolby Prologic II and not 5.1. Does your TV have the capability to process HDMI into 5.1 optical out? Would all TVs with optical out do that? (I wonder why else my TV has an optical out)

natjen, after reading through some posts I am less inclined to spend money and itme on cables. I already tried a low end, a medium range Belkin and a high end Sony cable meant for PS3. I doubt if it is the cable.

edson13, your reply indicate that even if I swap my receiver for a higher end one that can process HDMI 5 channel audio, my TV would still play spoilsport. That was useful information, as I was thinking in the line of a receiver with HDMI support. I will try your workaround, it sounds like its worth a try.

Btw Killzone 2 rocked when I employed a workaround and finally got 5.1 and 1080 video out. Too bad it lasted only for a short while before the video blanked out again. Hopefully edson13's workaround will help me prolong what I get.

arite, i just had to stop playn sf4 real quick to thank people for contributing to this thread. especially the more recent guys.

i had the same issue..although it was odd since i played with my ps3 and the same screen for 4 months before any problems. It just started to act up. the screen would black out, or turn blue as if it lost signal or it would be a static screen. most times it would go back and at times it wouldnt until i adjusted settings on the tv. i thought it was the hdmi cable so i bought another and it still fucked up. btw, composite cables work..i had to swallow my pride to look at this garbage...god it was horrendous..guiles sonic boom looked like a frickn brick..all rectangular and shit..ugh...

im waiting on hdmi to dvi cable but wont be needing that anymore because this solution someone posted worked out great for me...all i did was switch the audio settings to the composite. i know the hdmi sound is lost but god damn after not playing for 1 month its not really much of a bother now. i suppose its that handshake that gets screwed up with some tv and ps3s like some stated. my friends toshiba works great. i got a sceptre. what still bothers me is why did it start to screw up when it worked fine before? i think it probly had to do with some ps3 update because that is the only change that went on between the ps3 and tv.

FYI, hdmi cable brands DO NOT MATTER (most of the time). If u are getting something short like most people do (6feet or less), it just doesnt matter! they all produce digitally so its all the same. Monster cables and others dont do it faster or better. The only time when it matters to get the expensive one is when it is long (12feet or greater..if i remember correctly). my first hdmi cable cost me 35 and the second one i ordered 4$. this dvi hdmi cable that ill be getting shortly is 5$.

hopefully everyones elses problem isnt a costly one. im just upset because of the time i lost gaming!
again, good looks everyone. ps3, here i come..sonic boom! challenge me..psn: mr_burnzz

fuck fuck fuck! its even more messed up then before. my brother in law was playing my ps3 on the sceptre monitor (valkyria chronicles) and he told me after an hour of playing the screen started to flicker. I checked it out myself and this flicker problem was waaaay worse then before(a constant flicker. seemed like the 'handshake' was not right and it kept trying to attempt it. before it wasnt so often but now its EVERY SECOND)...who knows what he did. damn, i thought i had fixed it but it seems like its back to the drawing board. I also received the hdmi/dvi cable and this didnt solve the problem...i wonder what went wrong. It seemed to have been fixed and then now its fucked again. will continue to try and solve this problem. may have to shell out for a new tv......ill update this if any changes occur. maybe itll help someone...any advice would be appreciated..

i think the worst part of this situation is that initially the ps3 worked with my screen. few months later the screen would flicker. a month passes by and then i find the solution: have the audio go thru the component cables. two days later, its even more screwed. sigh.........

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back