HDMI Question [Use General Info Sticky]

Status
Not open for further replies.

coilfinger3

CAG Veteran
I have an original Core system hooked up to a 1080p 47" LCD using component HD hookups. Would it be worth it for me to sell the system for around $100 and use gift cards to upgrade to a brand new Arcade system in order to get HDMI? Is there a huge difference between component and HDMI? Really would like to save the gift cards for some new releases, but not sure what to do.

Discuss.

no dont do it. I bought a new arcade model becaues mine got the red rings and got an hdmi cable. The difference is minimal, if noticable at all. Still trying to sell my fixed red ring of death xbox if anyones interested. It's only a year old. But, back to the question, I wouldnt do it.

The only real advantage to HDMI is simplicity. One standard cable that you can get for $3 to hook up the 360. I would never consider another HD device without HDMI.

You've also got a very old system that's probably out of warranty, or close to it. With the Jaspers out, you might seriously consider it.

Where are your gift cards? If it's at a place like Best Buy, you could score a $50 GC for buying a system and something Avatar (a $15 game).

If I were you, I'd totally do it.

Thanks for the advice crave. The other reason I was thinking about selling it is for that very reason (RROD). It's an original core system and the warranty is almost up. I've had no problems with it, but I'm sure that as soon as the warranty expires the system will follow suit. Would like to sell it before RROD so I don't have to deal with repair costs which run around $100. So if I pay the $100 now and upgrade to a new Arcade, hopefully I will avoid any RROD problems and/or shelling out the $100 in repairs.

Thinking about selling it while its still worth something. Any other opinions?

[quote name='torifile']The only real advantage to HDMI is simplicity. One standard cable that you can get for $3 to hook up the 360. I would never consider another HD device without HDMI.

You've also got a very old system that's probably out of warranty, or close to it. With the Jaspers out, you might seriously consider it.

Where are your gift cards? If it's at a place like Best Buy, you could score a $50 GC for buying a system and something Avatar (a $15 game).

If I were you, I'd totally do it.[/quote]

Gift cards are from Best Buy. Are they still running that Gift Card special? And if so, for how long? Also, how do I know I will get a Jasper? Should I wait until all systems are updated with Jasper chipsets?

I'm leaning towards doing this. Is $100 a fair price for my system?

[quote name='coilfinger3']Gift cards are from Best Buy. Are they still running that Gift Card special? And if so, for how long? Also, how do I know I will get a Jasper? Should I wait until all systems are updated with Jasper chipsets?

I'm leaning towards doing this. Is $100 a fair price for my system?[/quote]
Read here to find out if you're getting a Jasper.

According to this thread, the GC deal is going on until 12/14. In short, if you can get $100 for your system, you're getting a new 360 for $65. A little less if you trade in the games that are included with the core - something like $8 or so in GS credit.

Now, I don't know if you can actually get $100 for an original launch unit but it's worth a try. Personally, even if I only got $75, it's still less than the $100 you'd spend for an out of warranty repair. If you can find a Jasper, do it.

Is VGA not an option? The cables were $10 at TRU a while back. That's what I'm staying with until they come out with a much better redesign.

And besides you missed the really good Amazon deal, that might have been worth it if VGA isn't an option.

I'd just like to point out that while crave may not have noticed a difference between component and HDMI, I personally noticed a HUGE difference when I upgraded. Everything is much crisper and nicer looking since I upgraded. I hate having to go back to using component when I go to my parent's house.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I'd just like to point out that while crave may not have noticed a difference between component and HDMI, I personally noticed a HUGE difference when I upgraded. Everything is much crisper and nicer looking since I upgraded. I hate having to go back to using component when I go to my parent's house.[/quote]
That may be true in your case, but it likely has more to do with the tv it's connected to than the 360 itself.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=78001&page=5

To the OP thats what I did and I DO NOT regret it plus I was lucky enough to get a Jasper too. Totally worth it

Plus with your TV you will get a good true 1080p signal with the HDMI

Since I have a plasma and it is not true 1080p, only 1080i, that could be why I didnt see a big difference. BUT, my friend has a sony bravia 1080p with hdmi and it looks about the same as mine, which is why I dont think its worth 65 just for that. But, since the warranty is running low, it might be a good time to pick up a new 360. HDMI cables are about $3 like someone above said, and it is really convenient. Do some searches on 360 HDMI vs. Component and you'll see the majority cant tell the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back