HDTV/360 Buying Guide

Yeah, I realized this last night when I was in my local Gamestop and they had the 360 display up and I started to laugh at how people were in such praise at how it looks and trying to explain to people that unless you have HD capability on your TV that the display is going to look no where as crisp as it does on the display unit.

So when I finally buy a 360 probably a year from now hopefully there will be some cheaper HD TVs available for me to use with it.

One of the comments mentioned a VGA monitor. I've heard these can do HD stuff, but is it worth it? And can you somehow hook up a VGA monitor to your cable/satellite and replace your TV altogether? I'm looking super budget here.

[quote name='Z-Saber']One of the comments mentioned a VGA monitor. I've heard these can do HD stuff, but is it worth it? And can you somehow hook up a VGA monitor to your cable/satellite and replace your TV altogether? I'm looking super budget here.[/QUOTE]

your pc has vga input, just get the xbox 360 vga cables , hook it up to your pc monitor and your good to go. you will have a cheap hd display!

[quote name='uzumaki_star']Yeah, I realized this last night when I was in my local Gamestop and they had the 360 display up and I started to laugh at how people were in such praise at how it looks and trying to explain to people that unless you have HD capability on your TV that the display is going to look no where as crisp as it does on the display unit.

So when I finally buy a 360 probably a year from now hopefully there will be some cheaper HD TVs available for me to use with it.[/QUOTE]

I hope that the ps3/360 help push in the "hd era" and lower costs , and inform the public that hdtv and widescreen is a good thing!

Nice article!

But:

...and rear-projections have never been known for high quality pictures

I, um, respectfully disagree with the author on this point. A nice HD CRT rear-projector still has the best picture around. They stink for games though; maybe that's what he meant.

[quote name='mEnTL32']Nice article!

But:

I, um, respectfully disagree with the author on this point. A nice HD CRT rear-projector still has the best picture around. They stink for games though; maybe that's what he meant.[/QUOTE]

Why do they stink for games? I'm in the market for a big screen and want one that looks great for games and movies. I've not seen any setup with a videogame attached. Any suggestions/pointers?

[quote name='Mr.Answer']Why do they stink for games? I'm in the market for a big screen and want one that looks great for games and movies. I've not seen any setup with a videogame attached. Any suggestions/pointers?[/QUOTE]

It is just so hard to quantify that I am going to cop out and say I can't describe it.

Ah hell I'll do my best. Imagine using a film camera to film a video game and then watching the movie of it... the characteristics that make movies on film so attractive would make a video game look like hell. Does that make any sense? Good HD CRT projectors reproduce film-like images very well.

If you play a ton of games, I would look closely at these technologies:

1) DLP (typically rear-projectors, great for just about any input)
2) LCD (either direct-view or projectors, great for video games, OK for other inputs)

RPHDTV's actually do have the best pictures...The colors that a tube produces are still better than lcd/dlp/plasma...Toshiba makes the best RPHDTV, as rated by numerous sites...I got the Toshiba 57" last year at BB for $1500...You get 2 years no interest, so it's not that expensive...I definately recommend...BTW, games look great on it, don't know what that person was talking about

[quote name='js1']your pc has vga input, just get the xbox 360 vga cables , hook it up to your pc monitor and your good to go. you will have a cheap hd display![/QUOTE]

My new Samsung 32" LCD TV has a VGA input, which works perfectly with my 360 dev kit's VGA cable. Amazing freaking resolution! Not sure if it's better than the composite cables I got, as I've been to busy to do the Pepsi challenge. This was my first HDTV, and my first cables to actually take advantage of that fact.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I'mma say that's a bad idea, but that's mainly because I hate LCD anything.[/QUOTE]

Usually I agree with you, but I've warmed up to the idea a little. There's an LCD screen at work now that I've been using for a year and it's grown on me somewhat. Also, the LCD screens for the 360 kiosks are pretty and they can do native 720p, which everyone seems to highly recommend.

MjC

[quote name='Z-Saber']I actually hated the screen at the 360 kiosks. Yes, it was nice and sharp, but laggy as crap.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, that's a bummer. I watched someone else play mostly. The angle for the kiosk at Walmart was worse than the first row of a movie theater.

What about that $400 Insignia 30" HDTV that Best Buy will have on BF? I don't see any 30" widescreen Insignia on their website right now.

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']Hmm, that's a bummer. I watched someone else play mostly. The angle for the kiosk at Walmart was worse than the first row of a movie theater.[/QUOTE]
Heck yeah! I played CoD2 for about ten minutes and my neck was sore for twenty.

The rear projection DLPs from Samsung look the best to me. They look like they havea great picture, good for gaming, and a decent price for screen size.

Anyone else have other opinions?

I played on a GameStop kiosk today. It might have been the same screen, it might have not. I'm not sure. The lag was maybe not noticeable, couldn't tell. My problem with the screen this time is flicker. Now I'm rather sensitive to monitor refresh flicker. I can't stand anything less than 85 hz on my monitor, so maybe this is related. Regardless, a TV like that would destroy me.

bread's done
Back