HDTV Help

jskatt21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
So I just picked up this TV http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8722448&type=product&id=1200703056233

I went from a 27" Standard TV to this and have been very impressed, however I am not happy with one thing. Burn In. I know some of the "break in" rules and am aware not to leave a static image for more than a couple hours. I played madden for 25 minutes and had burn in of the scoreboard, that did eventually go away.

Now this make me want to go LCD route. I am looking at this TV http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8793996&type=product&id=1205537712071. Will I notice a huge difference in the picture quality? Any help would be great.

Best bet would be to go to the store and look at them. However the panny you got was 720p and the sammy is 1080p and the size is smaller on the LCD.
Generally plasmas are better in contrast, displaying blacks, viewing angles and have no problems with response time. You probably won't see a huge difference in picture quality but it's all subjective and depends on what you consider to be a "huge difference" in quality.

The lowest response time I've seen on a Sammy is 4ms so 5ms is incredibly fast. I have yet to play a ps3 on my 5ms sammy so I dunno if it's noticeable but I would imagine it's only minimal at worst.

Burn in, is still a concern on plasmas. Most brands are supposed to be better now than in the past, but I wouldn't get one to do any gaming.

You should be able to get a comparable size in an LCD, at 1080p for around the same price.

My Samsung TV's both have 8 ms response time (a couple of years old) and neither one has any problem gaming on my 360.

TBW

[quote name='jskatt21']So I just picked up this TV http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8722448&type=product&id=1200703056233

I went from a 27" Standard TV to this and have been very impressed, however I am not happy with one thing. Burn In. I know some of the "break in" rules and am aware not to leave a static image for more than a couple hours. I played madden for 25 minutes and had burn in of the scoreboard, that did eventually go away.

Now this make me want to go LCD route. I am looking at this TV http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8793996&type=product&id=1205537712071. Will I notice a huge difference in the picture quality? Any help would be great.[/QUOTE]

What you experienced was more than likely NOT burn-in but rather something known as image retention (IR). It usually happens when high contrast static images are displayed for a prolonged period. The potential for IR (or burn in for that matter) is virtually eliminated when you break in the TV properly for the first 100 hrs as that timeframe is when a PDP TV is most susceptible to IR in the first place.

if you end up getting an LCD, get the sammy LN40A550, instead of 530 model. higher contrast for the same price on amazon. You won't miss the 2'' and i love my sammy. mine is last year's model and the new ones are much improved with response time and better motion blur resistance. my lcd puts out the blackest blacks and whites really pop off the screen more than plasmas.

[quote name='von551']if you end up getting an LCD, get the sammy LN40A550, instead of 530 model. higher contrast for the same price on amazon. You won't miss the 2'' and i love my sammy. mine is last year's model and the new ones are much improved with response time and better motion blur resistance. my lcd puts out the blackest blacks and whites really pop off the screen more than plasmas.[/quote]

I got the LN46A550 a few months ago. Awesome tv except for the sound.

Thanks for the help guys, I went with the 530 as the other was a bit out of my range, however I am very impressed and will continue to watch to see if the 550 goes on sale at BB. Thanks for the input!

there you go jskatt, return the 530 to BB, save $100, and get a better tv (550). fry's has free in-store pick up, or amazon has it for only $31 more than the 530 at BB, with free shipping. i bought my tv from amazon.

there you go jskatt, return the 530 to BB, save $100, and get a better tv (550). amazon has it for only $31 more than the 530 at BB, with free shipping, as well. i bought my tv from amazon.

I was able to get the tv, stand, and 4 year warranty, all for around 1200 and get it financed for 3 years so I am pretty happy.

[quote name='notaint']I got the LN46A550 a few months ago. Awesome tv except for the sound.[/quote]

Best Buy had a new unopened 46A550 in box and clearanced it because they only had one left.Went back to buy it and they sold it...damn it.Oh well I got the LN46A530 and love it as it has a 5ms and the sound is actually quite good.Plus Best Buy has that price match thing for 60days after purchase...so

bread's done
Back