HDTV request

gregthomas77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
OK, I want to buy an HDTV for (1) watching HD football on Direct TV and (2) to be ready for the launch of XBOX 360. I want to spend 800 dollars or less (before tax and shipping). Suggestions?

[quote name='gregthomas77']OK, I want to buy an HDTV for (1) watching HD football on Direct TV and (2) to be ready for the launch of XBOX 360. I want to spend 800 dollars or less (before tax and shipping). Suggestions?[/QUOTE]
Im very jealous if you can indeed afford SundayTicketHD this year. Last I heard it was $400 (the $2xx.oo for the NFL STix.then $100 for HD,taxes + fees) and the HD is only the "games of the week." Im trying to sell organs to get it hooked up by opening day. Its not working out yet. :lol:

[quote name='supadupacheap']Im very jealous if you can indeed afford SundayTicketHD this year. Last I heard it was $400 (the $2xx.oo for the NFL STix.then $100 for HD,taxes + fees) and the HD is only the "games of the week." Im trying to sell organs to get it hooked up by opening day. Its not working out yet. :lol:[/QUOTE]

You don't need Sunday Ticket to watch your local team, do you? That would totally suck. I get minimum 3 games in HD every Sunday as well as the Monday night game through Comcast... it looks AMAZING - you really can't go back. I refuse to go out to watch football at a friend's house unless he has an HD setup.

[quote name='javeryh']You don't need Sunday Ticket to watch your local team, do you? That would totally suck. I get minimum 3 games in HD every Sunday as well as the Monday night game through Comcast... it looks AMAZING - you really can't go back. I refuse to go out to watch football at a friend's house unless he has an HD setup.[/QUOTE]

I know what you're talking about, HDTV is an absolute must for NFL Football!!! And at least four HD games in the NY area. :D

[quote name='gregthomas77']I am a Redskins fan living in New Mexico, so NFL Ticket is a must.[/QUOTE]

Hell man, you don't need to spend all that money on NFL Ticket. Let me go ahead and lay out the Redskins season for you...

Loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss.

0-16.

There you go!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002F7I9O/ref=pd_luc_mri/104-8317907-9422317?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3LJ5WMKNRFKQS&v=glance

This is a much better buy than the Toshiba. I just bought this TV, and this has much better image quality. Also, you get Sony quality. It is $750 when added to cart, plus shipping.

Also neither this, or the Toshiba really does 720P, but it will upconvert the image to 1080i automatically. I've been told that you can't tell the difference unless you are a videophile. It is the best TV for the money, no doubt.

[quote name='mmn']Hell man, you don't need to spend all that money on NFL Ticket. Let me go ahead and lay out the Redskins season for you...

Loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss.

0-16.

There you go![/QUOTE]

Congratulations! You're gay!

[quote name='aaa']http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002F7I9O/ref=pd_luc_mri/104-8317907-9422317?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3LJ5WMKNRFKQS&v=glance

This is a much better buy than the Toshiba. I just bought this TV, and this has much better image quality. Also, you get Sony quality. It is $750 when added to cart, plus shipping.

Also neither this, or the Toshiba really does 720P, but it will upconvert the image to 1080i automatically. I've been told that you can't tell the difference unless you are a videophile. It is the best TV for the money, no doubt.[/QUOTE]

I also highly recommend that sony. I have one for my bedroom and its awesome. You can find it on sale at BB sometimes for $850

[quote name='Lucasp']Congratulations! You're gay![/QUOTE]

That would've been funnier if you'd included a pic.

Still, your team has about as much shot of making the playoffs as you do of making enough money to get off welfare.

All sports bickery aside, this is about TVs, not who you think is better. So lets get back to the subject?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure offhand which ones are good deals, etc. But I do want to point out that any sort of 'upsizing' on HD view will cause lag in your video games with most TVs. Like said before, television shows you won't notice it really. But with video games (Espeically action and/or FPS) you'll notice a delay between button press and on-screen response time. As 720p seems to be the primary standard for the 360, I'd suggest paying attention to that detail while you're looking.

My TV handles it, but I also paid roughly $2000 for it due to it being wall mountable.

Also, for gaming, avoid plasma. Either LCD (Bigger = more expensive) or DLP (If you have a good corner, you can get some awesome sizes for some really great prices.)

Hope those tips helped a little too while poking around!

[quote name='supadupacheap']Im very jealous if you can indeed afford SundayTicketHD this year. Last I heard it was $400 (the $2xx.oo for the NFL STix.then $100 for HD,taxes + fees) and the HD is only the "games of the week." Im trying to sell organs to get it hooked up by opening day. Its not working out yet. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah but they only show the games in 720p so it still sucks. Had it last year.

My neighbors just bought a 62 inch HD TV. At first I thought it was a huge waste of money, but I caught some of the Dallas v. Seattle game in HD the other night and it was awesome. I am a true believer in HD now. It was really like being at the game. I only wich comcast would play the Nationals games so that I could watch football and baseball in HD.

[quote name='tancients']All sports bickery aside, this is about TVs, not who you think is better. So lets get back to the subject?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure offhand which ones are good deals, etc. But I do want to point out that any sort of 'upsizing' on HD view will cause lag in your video games with most TVs. Like said before, television shows you won't notice it really. But with video games (Espeically action and/or FPS) you'll notice a delay between button press and on-screen response time. As 720p seems to be the primary standard for the 360, I'd suggest paying attention to that detail while you're looking.

My TV handles it, but I also paid roughly $2000 for it due to it being wall mountable.

Also, for gaming, avoid plasma. Either LCD (Bigger = more expensive) or DLP (If you have a good corner, you can get some awesome sizes for some really great prices.)

Hope those tips helped a little too while poking around![/QUOTE]

If you have enough money to buy a big LCD or DLP or even enough money to buy a comfortable one I suggest waiting around for an SED and taking your chances.

[quote name='Sarang01']If you have enough money to buy a big LCD or DLP or even enough money to buy a comfortable one I suggest waiting around for an SED and taking your chances.[/QUOTE]

SED?

[quote name='aaa']http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002F7I9O/ref=pd_luc_mri/104-8317907-9422317?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3LJ5WMKNRFKQS&v=glance

Also neither this, or the Toshiba really does 720P, but it will upconvert the image to 1080i automatically. I've been told that you can't tell the difference unless you are a videophile. It is the best TV for the money, no doubt.[/QUOTE]

that is the exact one I got in april and I love it , HD content looks freakin beautiful crisp and clear. Games look even better . downside your gonna need 2 football players to carry this thing .

[quote name='jam3582']that is the exact one I got in april and I love it , HD content looks freakin beautiful crisp and clear. Games look even better . downside your gonna need 2 football players to carry this thing .[/QUOTE]

Damn, i wasnt even looking into buying a new TV but may have to jump on this one... Not a bad price at all. I am looking for a good set for the bedroom and this looks good. I already have an Infocus Projector on a 92" screen for the football games, in HDTV...

[quote name='flizmo007']Damn, i wasnt even looking into buying a new TV but may have to jump on this one... Not a bad price at all. I am looking for a good set for the bedroom and this looks good. I already have an Infocus Projector on a 92" screen for the football games, in HDTV...[/QUOTE]

yeah its an awesome tv no complaints I just got my HDTV converter from time warner and HD channels look incredibly sharp . Games look way better also . The best game iv seen look good in HD has to soul calibur 2 for xbox freakin amazing.

[quote name='Deadpool']SED?[/QUOTE]

It may end up having the picture quality of CRT or coming close. Think Plasma or LCD in terms of how big you may be able to get it.

[quote name='DaleNixon']Whatever you buy, avoid plasma like the plague![/QUOTE]

Why, exactly? My TV is unbelievablely crisp. It hangs right on the wall because it's less than 4" thick. Madden and Burnout 3 on my PS2 look amazing in 16x9 and that's only at 420p - the next gen should be even better. I spent a lot on it but I have NO remorse whatsoever.

*waits to hear about burn in when in fact that was only an issue with early model plasmas that has been fixed long ago yet the general perception remains*

[quote name='javeryh']Why, exactly? My TV is unbelievablely crisp. It hangs right on the wall because it's less than 4" thick. Madden and Burnout 3 on my PS2 look amazing in 16x9 and that's only at 420p - the next gen should be even better. I spent a lot on it but I have NO remorse whatsoever.

*waits to hear about burn in when in fact that was only an issue with early model plasmas that has been fixed long ago yet the general perception remains*[/QUOTE]

Burn in is not "fixed" on plasmas, but they have advanced it to where normally its not something you have to be concerned with. I agree with you though, that plasma gets a bad rep that it definately doesnt deserve when people talk about gaming on them.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Burn in is not "fixed" on plasmas, but they have advanced it to where normally its not something you have to be concerned with. I agree with you though, that plasma gets a bad rep that it definately doesnt deserve when people talk about gaming on them.[/QUOTE]

yeah, it's not "fixed" entirely (I don't think it is even possible) but it is no worse than if you left a static image on a CRT or DLP or LCD screen for hours and hours. Burn-in is inevitible if you are not responsible with any type of display.

i think what the problem with plasma is that the whole "leaking" problem where the gas actually comes out of the screen. And after a few years your exspensive ass tv is now dark. Thats what the main problem is... they said they fixed it, but you wont know for a few years now will you...

If your spending the big bucks on plasma, take the safe route and go with LCD...

Make sure you check the price on the directtvHD box, last I heard they were expensive as hell. That's why I went with comcast, the DVR and HD are all in the same box and only an additional $10 a month.

[quote name='Bio Retard']http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._3/104-2385221-8625569?v=glance&s=electronics
I have that Samsung and it's really nice. One of the main features is that is about 16" deep, as opposed to 22.5" like most of the similar HDTVs posted.[/QUOTE]

I also have this one , and I love it, I got it circuit city
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...sem/rpsm/oid/120404/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

In store they were asking 1200.00 got them to price match the site and got an extra 10% off, cant beat that TV for 809.99 :)

[quote name='Lice']i think what the problem with plasma is that the whole "leaking" problem where the gas actually comes out of the screen. And after a few years your exspensive ass tv is now dark. Thats what the main problem is... they said they fixed it, but you wont know for a few years now will you...

If your spending the big bucks on plasma, take the safe route and go with LCD...[/QUOTE]

You people and your urban myths. Plasmas don't leak gas. They wear out, just like a standard CRT - in fact, it's the same sort of phosphor wear that CRTs get.

A good plasma (like the Panasonic) are rated 60,000+ hours plus to half brightness (considered the death of the plasma, like a normal CRT TV gets dark and worn out over time). At 8 solid hours a day that equals 20 years.

As far as burn-in, or burn-in from gaming, on a plasma, not a problem any more, realistically. Plasmas now have quite a few anti-burn in technologies that make it very unlikely. Ask the guys over in the plasma forum @ AVSforum, many of them play hours of Halo, PS2, etc on theirs. The only possible time you are likely to burn it in is during the first few hundred hours by avoiding letterboxing, when the phosphors are decaying faster (it's like a logarithmic curve, burn-in is most likely to happen when the set is brand new).

A calibration with Avia guide to Home Theater should also help avoid burn-in, as well as taking the TV out of torch mode and making it actually look good, instead of reddish, oversharpened, and with the black level (brightness) cranked way up. After a few hours you will get used to the new accurate settings and wonder how people can watch TVs with the factory settings.

If you don't leave it on a menu for 8 hours at a time like a normal person you should be fine.

If you like the superior black levels, viewing angle, and daylight viewing quality, and other pros that plasmas have, then get one. Don't listen to the uninformed people going "OMG TEH PLASMA will leak gas and die in a few years or burn in! "

PS Disclaimer: I own a DLP projector, but I'm kind of a home theater gamer nerd and do my research before buying anything :D

PPS: All of the sets mentioned so far are decent selections. Toshiba, Panny and Sony all make good CRTs. Samsung makes a good bang-for-buck CRT but lately the Pannys & Toshibas are approaching the price of their sets, making them likely the better buy.

Ohh mr monkey your a funny guy....

THe god of computers mr Leo Laporte said that that leaking is a real possiblity. So hmmm should i listen to Green monkey forum comedian or Leo the " tech" guy who makes his living giving tech advice? hmm tough question indeed...

The main drawback of a plasma TV system is vulnerability to damage. If a hard object strikes the screen, hundreds of individual gas-filled tubes instantly lose their ability to glow. Replacing all of those elements is a time-consuming and expensive process, if it can be done at all. Owners of plasma TV systems should always consider purchasing insurance and extended warranties, since the most common fix appears to be total replacement of the screen. Because the gas forming the plasma can leak or become less reactive to electrical charges, plasma TV systems do have a limited shelf life. It may take several years before a noticeable change in picture quality, but the cumulative effects are similar to what happens in neon and fluorescent lighting-eventually the gas inside the tube will begin to flicker instead of burning steadily.

www.wisegeek.com

So yeah thats about what i said, after a few years it dims...

Thanks for your time...

Considerations of Plasma
Due to the direct way it produces light, plasma can be especially susceptible to burn-in from static images such as stock-tickers and video-game gauges; however, newer displays have begun to incorporate "pixel-orbiting" technologies that shift images, almost imperceptibly, to limit the occurrence of burn-in. Additionally, although known for their high contrast (relative to LCD) and spectacular color saturation, plasma displays have historically had difficulty reproducing pure blacks. Recent enhancements have largely eliminated this problem, but sometimes at the expense of fine detail in dimly-lit areas of the picture.

Anyone have a set with the "pixel orbiting"? sounds intresting

I suggest downloading some TWiT podcasts and hearing what Robert Heron has to say. The man's brain is a home theater reference.

Plasma displays DO NOT LEAK GAS, PERIOD. It's an urban myth propogated by moron electronics store workers who don't understand the concept of phosphor wear - which similar to what CRTs experience...plasmas are just newer tech without as many advances as CRTs.

Don't believe everything TechTV tells you. :D You're talking about the station that was running anime in stretchy-people vision for years instead of properly letterboxed. :roll: Their video game reviews are often out of whack, and the stuff they sometimes say about Home Theater stuff makes all the HT hobbyist people laugh.

Myth #3: Plasma TVs leak gas and require periodic "re-charging"
Myth #4: Plasma TVs only last a few years

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/reviews/20030930/plasma_myths.html

Pixel orbiting is one of the technologies. It helps provide burn from static lines (like, say, oldschool 8-bit static graphics, like the bottom of the Super Mario Brothers screen, or excessive hard logos on TV stations).

The only thing that could be very dangerous on a plasma is regular websurfing-type PC use - the almost ever-present start button and menu, icons, etc can be bad. Modern games change up so much for load screens, cinematics, etc that they aren't very dangerous even on a CRT RPTV, as compared to old school games with their static bars and life meters.

Ok noted what you said...

And FYI tech tv is gone and he has a radio show now. He has been off that channel for about 2-3 years now...

but thanks for the info in a more positive manner... :applause:

bread's done
Back