HDTV's UNDER $500

finsfan0210

CAGiversary!
Feedback
199 (100%)
I'm looking for a decent 32-37 inch LCD or Plasma HDTV and was wondering the what are the best tv's for under $500.

I know Walmart/Bestbuy has a Samsung for $499 and their Sanyo and Vizio 32in TV's are about 50-60 bucks cheaper.
Kmart has a 32in Sylvania for $369 and Best Buy has the Dynex for $399.
I worked at Best Buy and I know that the dynex is crap.
I thought about taking Kmart's ad to Target and matching the price for the Slyvania plus apply for their credit card to get an extra 10% off.
So any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

[quote name='docvinh']I got an 32 inch insignia plasma for 400 bucks, I like it, seems to be of good quality. Panels are made by LG apparently.[/quote]

u got it a bestbuy right? was it on sale or a normal price?

[quote name='finsfan0210']u got it a bestbuy right? was it on sale or a normal price?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got it at Best Buy, I think it's the clearance price now. It originally cost me around 500, but it was in the ad the next week for 400, so I got it pricematched.

I've been looking as well for pretty much the same specs, but I'm being picky on what TV's I consider, so I've pushed my budget just a little bit. Sears had a Panasonic 42" Plasma for $700, while Best Buy had a 37" LG LCD for $800. I know they are both above your set range, but I thought they were both pretty good prices on those particular TVs. Good luck!

I bought a 32 in Vizio LCD form walmart for $450 and Ive been very pleased with it. It is a 720p, and the only complaint I have against it is the remote is beyond barebone. I play games on it, and use it as a PC monitor and its been great. Plus it has all the major tuners, ATSC NTSC and CLear/QAM .

I have the 32" Vizio Plasma from WalMart in my room, it's amazing. It's 720p but you can set the PS3 to 1080p and it will display it.

[quote name='finsfan0210']I'm looking for a decent 32-37 inch LCD or Plasma HDTV and was wondering the what are the best tv's for under $500.

I know Walmart/Bestbuy has a Samsung for $499 and their Sanyo and Vizio 32in TV's are about 50-60 bucks cheaper.
Kmart has a 32in Sylvania for $369 and Best Buy has the Dynex for $399.
I worked at Best Buy and I know that the dynex is crap.
I thought about taking Kmart's ad to Target and matching the price for the Slyvania plus apply for their credit card to get an extra 10% off.
So any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks![/quote]

head's up, Target doesn't price match. But, this is a good week for you to be looking for a HDTV under $500. look at Target's ad online HERE, they have a 720p Magnavox for $378 and the Sylvania 37" 720p is only $498. It's gotta be better than Dynex and can't be worse than Vizio, or Sanyo. Go into your Target and check 'em out!

[quote name='naes']I have the 32" Vizio Plasma from WalMart in my room, it's amazing. It's 720p but you can set the PS3 to 1080p and it will display it.[/quote]

You realize that, when the panel display 1080p as the input resolution, its downscaling the image to 720, right?

In other words, the PS3 makes the image 1080, the TV reads this and knows it cant display it natively, so it uses it's own conversion to downres to 720. So you'd probably be better off using the PS3 in 720, as you don't have the extra step of the TV downresing the image, not to mention some PS3 games are only 720, so the console is upscaling, only to be cancelled out by your television.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10778775 Wal-Mart is now offering 1080p LCD Vizio's at 32 inchs for 497 if you *must* have 1080p.

They also have this interesting white/silver Vizio TV that only does 720 but supposedly uses 44% less energy then normal LCD tvs, so could save some money on your electric bill.

I believe the 32 inch Vizio plasma was my best TV purchase on the cheap, but the warranty was indeed quite expensive. The reason being is because Plasma parts/issues are more expensive then LCD ones (or so I've been told) and that's why they charge more.

As long as all your products are HDMI I would pick a LCD over Plasma, but there was too much ghosting on my Wii and other systems via component on the Vizio LCD. But that's just my opinion of course.
I figure in a few more years there won't be any reason to pick Plasma over LCD, but since Vizio has supposedly discontinued the 32 inch Plasma I can't find any other 32 inch TV that is Plasma on the market right now.

[quote name='von551']head's up, Target doesn't price match. But, this is a good week for you to be looking for a HDTV under $500. look at Target's ad online HERE, they have a 720p Magnavox for $378 and the Sylvania 37" 720p is only $498. It's gotta be better than Dynex and can't be worse than Vizio, or Sanyo. Go into your Target and check 'em out![/QUOTE]

Great deal on the 37" Sylvania. But, I currently have a 32" Sanyo, which I'm not too happy with. I paid $447 for it, and can still return it. I want to do the switch, but is 5 extra inches worth $50 extra dollars?

[quote name='Access_Denied']Damn, the Sylvania in the first post is a good TV, but it's got no VGA input. I've gotten used to having my PC hooked up to my HDTV.[/QUOTE]

You should pick up the insignia I recommended above. 400, plus a vga output. Good stuff.:)

[quote name='Monsta Mack']http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10778775 Wal-Mart is now offering 1080p LCD Vizio's at 32 inchs for 497 if you *must* have 1080p.[/quote]

OP, 1080p is only effective on sets over 50". 1080p is nice on smaller sets because of all the features they'll come with that 720 sets wont (120hz, higher contrast, faster response, etc.) Just in case you didn't know so you dont waste money...

I'm looking into the Vizio 32" Plasma, they have one at my local target for $430. This would be a nice middle road TV for my bedroom. I love my 42" Samsung Plasma that I bought almost two years ago, it has an amazing picture but I don't want to spend the $ on a top tier brand just for late night TV in bed.

IMO anthing thats a 400 or less at 32" is cheap in some way, I've seen the insignia's dynex's, Sanyo's and Magnavox's. Their Image quality is crap, either they have such low contrast ratios that they can't correctly display blacks (the screen looks grey in a dark room) or they lack crispness even though they are supposed to be 720p. The Vizio is a step up from all these brands image wise, but lacks inputs/menu options (bells and whistles) like samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sharp, and Sony quality.

[quote name='zackL04']I'm looking into the Vizio 32" Plasma, they have one at my local target for $430. This would be a nice middle road TV for my bedroom. I love my 42" Samsung Plasma that I bought almost two years ago, it has an amazing picture but I don't want to spend the $ on a top tier brand just for late night TV in bed.

IMO anthing thats a 400 or less at 32" is cheap in some way, I've seen the insignia's dynex's, Sanyo's and Magnavox's. Their Image quality is crap, either they have such low contrast ratios that they can't correctly display blacks (the screen looks grey in a dark room) or they lack crispness even though they are supposed to be 720p. The Vizio is a step up from all these brands image wise, but lacks inputs/menu options (bells and whistles) like samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sharp, and Sony quality.[/QUOTE]

From what I read the Vizio and Insignia source the plasmas from the same place LG.

[quote name='von551']head's up, Target doesn't price match. But, this is a good week for you to be looking for a HDTV under $500. look at Target's ad online HERE, they have a 720p Magnavox for $378 and the Sylvania 37" 720p is only $498. It's gotta be better than Dynex and can't be worse than Vizio, or Sanyo. Go into your Target and check 'em out![/quote]

whoa :hot:

Is sylvania a reliable brand though?

[quote name='Foo228']whoa :hot:

Is sylvania a reliable brand though?[/quote]

well, according to Consumer Reports, most major brands have under a 5% repair rate and extended warranties are a rip off (some are as low as 3%). but, if it makes you feel safer, a 3-year extended warranty through Target is only $59.

bread's done
Back