headphone choice

yester

CAGiversary!
Hi, well i am looking for a nice pair of headphones that i can use to listen to the game, music and chat.
The one thing i really wonder is, if there are some out there that have a coaxial in/output.
My tv does not have a headphone output and only has a digital output. Its a panasonic lcd.

I have seen some from turtle beach but the one i have looked up was over a $100 Dollar. Thats a lot of money.

Anyway, is there any that a really great and that i can use on my tv or do you the out/input on the ps3 for that.

Oh, if i can use it for the xbox as well, that would be nice.

Thanks for any fill ins.

cant recommend the PS3 7.1 headphones enough. Downside is 100$ and no Xbox support. From ones I have seen to have dual system capability you would have to get Turtle beach ones and pay over 100 (unless you find them on sale)

So 100$ is ok i assume. Well, if its good i might bite in the lemon.

I might op for the turtle beach since i like to have it open to all systems.

[quote name='bjstucker']cant recommend the PS3 7.1 headphones enough. Downside is 100$ and no Xbox support. From ones I have seen to have dual system capability you would have to get Turtle beach ones and pay over 100 (unless you find them on sale)[/QUOTE]

Im kinda of in the same predicament as the OP, but I mostly play PS3. Do you know if the Official PS3 Sony Headphones work during single player games. IE does it transmit the sound your tv would be emitting and send it to the headphone? (Consequently, while using the headphones no sound would come out from the TV, right?)

dolby surround headphone (its simulated surround. but that will beat the pants off anything claiming to have real surround sound in headphones eg: ps3 7.1, TB xseries, ec).

so how dolby?
I. mixamp $130 + headphone of your choice
best but probably most expensive options.

II. astros a40s (includes mixamp) $250

II. triton ax720 ~$100-120
ax720 decorder box + closed headset
I recommend the tritton b/c tritton and mixamp use the same dolby headphone tech. its half the price of the a40s. you get the box that you plug any headphone of your choice into. And you get a set of headphones to boot.

see mad lust envy's definitive guide.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...hone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

i own the 720 + pc360 and 598s.

get the ps3 one. If you wait and look around, you may be able to get it for 80 or less. This is my first wireless gaming headset so I can't compare to others but this is probably the best thing for your money. I got mine for 75 and would have been happy even if I paid 100. Only drawbacks are that it works only for ps3 and computer and if you break the usb dongle, I think that's a wrap for the headset. I haven't tried it on anything else but I doubt it'll work on directly on the tv. Also can't use other usb dongles near it as it shares the frequency and screws it up.

if you dont mind ps3 only headset the p11's are the way to go 50 dollars on amazon and use those for a while and if you feel like you " need " the dolby surround sound get either the ear force dss or the mixamp both the same but ear force cheaper look it up i got the ear force an works well but if your on the budget p11's alone will be just fine

dss has a higher hiss. if you cant hear it, then youre golden. its cheaper and has bass boost.

[quote name='sandaz93']Im kinda of in the same predicament as the OP, but I mostly play PS3. Do you know if the Official PS3 Sony Headphones work during single player games. IE does it transmit the sound your tv would be emitting and send it to the headphone? (Consequently, while using the headphones no sound would come out from the TV, right?)[/QUOTE]

Yes they work as regular headphones. You can use them to listen to anything that would be transmitted out of your TV, also they plug into the USB slot on the PS3 so no AV cables + base station etc. All you have to do is click the button (large button on the headphone right above the mic and then just mess with the volume to your liking), Yes nothing will come out of the TV as to not bother others who are doing other things near you. Best investment I have ever made seeing as I have a 7month old who sleeps lightly.

[quote name='bjstucker']Yes they work as regular headphones. You can use them to listen to anything that would be transmitted out of your TV, also they plug into the USB slot on the PS3 so no AV cables + base station etc. All you have to do is click the button (large button on the headphone right above the mic and then just mess with the volume to your liking), Yes nothing will come out of the TV as to not bother others who are doing other things near you. Best investment I have ever made seeing as I have a 7month old who sleeps lightly.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Yeah, I might get this when it is cheaper. I'm no hurry since I've been gaming on 2.1 speakers or less (TV speakers/computer speakers/regular headphones).

Gamed on a 5.1 surround system before and it is nice, doesn't really change the overall experience for me. I say go for it if you've got the money for it.

I'm personally a hugh fan of the Turtle Beach PX 5's. They are pricey though I got them when they were on sale at $150. They work for both systems flawlessly, and I can even use them as a stereo bluetooth headset for other devices.

If you only care about PS3 and don't really online game too much, I would recommend the Sony official ones, but the one downside of those is that while online gaming, it doesn't (or didn't - it's possible that they've fixed it with a software update, not sure) mix your voice back in through the headset when you talk, so you have no idea how loud you are, and tend to yell alot.

(It does when you do the sound check under settings, but not actually during play).

Last edited by a moderator:
Prices are quite huge.
If i don't care about Xbox i guess the Sony ones are fine. Its at least below $100.
The Turtle Beach are nice too, but the PX5 are just out of my range.
I am not settled yet, but i really consider the Sony headphones.

bread's done
Back