Headphone problem

Rocko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
So I upgraded to Windows 7 from XP yesterday, and ever since it seems like my headphone jack just isn't working. It was working before the upgrade, and the headphones work (I've tried three pair), but when I plug headphones into the headphone jack now, sound continues to play out of the speakers, and no sound comes from the headphones. It's like it doesn't even realize I've plugged the headphones in. I've already tried updating my drivers, and it said I have the most up-to-date drivers already. If it matters, I don't have a sound card, I have a "high definition audio device". Any help would be appreciated, as I don't know what to do to fix this. Thanks.

Need more info. What sound card? Custom Built PC or OEM (dell, hp, etc.)?

(I've been in IT for 10 years so I'm familiar with crap like this.)

I don't have a sound card, it's integrated audio (I believe that's what it's called). It's a Dell PC- Dimension E520 to be exact.

If this matters, I can unplug my speakers from the back of my PC and plug the headphones there and they play, but that's unwieldy and annoying. I'm baffled as to why the headphone jack suddenly doesn't work.

You should check a couple things. One, make sure you're using the latest drivers. Since you upgraded from XP to 7, there may not be a working driver yet. Secondly, check for a loose cable inside the computer case. If you didn't open up the case, this is probably not the problem, but you never know.

Its most likely driver related, though.

It's definitely a driver issue. You will need to go to Dell's support website for the driver you need, assuming Dell has updated the driver for your PC. Select the Choose by Service Tag option and let it scan your PC. The site should take care of the rest.

http://support.dell.com/support/down...=us&l=en&s=gen

EDIT: Also, use Internet Explorer. Firefox isn't compatible with their site.

Ha! Beat me by a minute.

I went to the site, daphatty, and they had a link for SigmaTel audio drivers. I downloaded it, and got to an installshield wizard. Once started it said "Please wait while the system updates the audio hardware configuration", and then it eventually says "Device Object not present, restart the system and run setup again."

I did that, and it gave me the error once again.

Edit: Something popped up and said the application may not have installed correctly, and after it re-installed the codec installed and my headphones work. Thanks a lot, daphatty and Brownjohn! :D

you probably need to uninstall your audio drivers,reboot,then install your new drivers.

also try checking your Bios and resetting it to default
and uninstalling the audio thru the device manager.

Glad it all worked out. While you don't have to keep your drivers at the latest and greatest, I've found the Dell support site to be an invaluable tool in diagnosing Windows driver idiosyncrasies. It's the first place I go when Windows starts acting up.

bread's done
Back