Headsets

zenithyoda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
I won't have Internet till the 8th, so Ill post in more detail then.

I went with the Tritton AX PROs & I absolutely love them. There's nothing like them.

I agree the Ax Pro is the best headset I have used, beating out the Astro A40. I like the feel of the Ax Pro and the sound quality is great. I was knifed more times than I can count in World at War with A40, switched to the Ax Pro and no more.

I didn't even think of the mic. I guess I wouldn't be able to use my headphones and bluetooth huh?

I'll wait for Kefka to reply before I decide to buy anything though.

I saw the TRITTON AX 720, but I was wondering, do I need 5.1 surround sound, or is stereo enough? I wanna hear what is around me on MW2.

Yeah, the mic is really cheap & breaks easily. Not just the physical mic, but it's cord also can lose connection (which is what happened in my case).

Now I have it setup where I have my Bluetooth hanging from my shirt collar. The only downside to this, is that I can use the voice volume output control & the mute button on the dongle. However, I can still use the bluetooth's mute button and I can control the voice volume from the MW2 options.

-----

I tried the 720's also, and I really didn't like the sound. But then again, I think I had it in the movie mode the whole time.

I'll be double posting everytime I think of something else, since there's no editing on the iPhone version.

-----

Tritton offers a year warranty on product defects, so I'll be sending mine in for expection, to see if it qualifies for a replacement/repair.

Hmmm... those really helped. I am leaning towards the PROs.

I was also looking into the warranty info cause of the whole mic thing. I can do the whole mic on collar bit if it comes to it, or send it in for a replacement. I think this is the breaking point for me.

However, I haven't seen or read anything to suggest that there is a better headset out there for this price. I think it would be an immense help... short of getting a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound speakers (which would be more expensive perhaps but more of a pain in my ass... especially considering how my TV set up is).

Yeah, the Astros are $250. Then there's tax & shipping. And they are their only retailer.

-----

The Turtle beach audio works with the PS3, but not voice chat.

-----

Just buy the PROs! I'll run you through the setup to optimize them.

I've looked at everything else, but I am gonna go with the PROs.

I decided to save some money on shipping and get the cheapest one, meaning I won't have them for a week or so. Whatever.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Here's a little subjective input. true 5.1 headsets basically have multiple speakers in each ear. Overall, the quality of sound is reduced compared to stereo headsets. And as you can see, true 5.1 headsets become considerably larger.

The A40 mixamp and ax720 uses Dolby Headphone tech. Basically it takes a stereo signal and puts it through the Dolby Headphone algorithm to generate a virtual 5.1 sound.

I personally went with the A40 mixamp and hoooked up a stereo Sony MDR headphone. From my understanding, the A40 mixamp only outputs DH2 which is a setting mainly for video games. So movies aren't the best to play on them. Then again, I don't play movies on my PS3, rather on my computer, and depending on your sound card, you can use DH already.

My main reason for this was that I needed a set of headphones that had great quality and could be used for other things as well (I play a little bass and like to listen to music like everyone else).

Overall, I've gotten so used to the DH that it is sufficient enough for me to hear where someone else is fairly accurately. Works great in MW2. There used to be a DH demo on the Dolby website, but it's no longer there as they have revamped their website.

I would suggest for great quality sound to go with the A40 mixamp and a pair of good stereo headphones. There is also a 10% discount for ECA members (those ECA fuckers). Though their shipping is still killer...

Now what's missing is the mic, if you need a mic as well or aren't willing to pay as much, I'd say go for the AXs. I just use the Sony bt headset in base mode.

Do the Tritton PRO's come with everything you need to hook them up to a 360 or a PS3 and use game-chat?

Meaning, I am going to buy the PRO's... do I need to also buy any cables while I'm at it?

[quote name='Dunvane']Do the Tritton PRO's come with everything you need to hook them up to a 360 or a PS3 and use game-chat?

Meaning, I am going to buy the PRO's... do I need to also buy any cables while I'm at it?[/QUOTE]

From what I have seen, no you won't need anything else.

I haven't gotten my order in yet through.

However, I did order a 6ft optical audio cable extension cord, mostly cause my room is big and I might need a little bit more room.

What else will I need to buy to use with 360 and have in-game chat?

Also, is amazon the best place to order these? They have the shipping saying 1 - 4 weeks...

well. this thread is a major turn off. 200 for a bluetooth headset? :whistle2:#

i am not really looking for a surround sound or dolby digital blah blah blah, expensive, blah, flashy blah and shiny bluetooth headset.

how bout a nice reliable cheap bluetooth headset?
what do you guys recommend?
i just want to be able to chat on the ps3 since i am getting socom in a few days.

Any recommendations?

[quote name='LordKefka06']A cheaply priced reliable headset. :rofl:

Bluetooth/wireless will even make it cost more.[/QUOTE]
yeah well

one can only dream...:cry:

The cheapest I could find the PROs is for $170 at BB. But then they have tax & shipping, unlike Amazon.

Too bad you missed out on the sale Newegg had. They had them for $155 and then there was a $25 off coupon. So Newegg had them for around $130.

[quote name='Dunvane']So what do I need to order with the PRO's in order to use in-game chat on the 360?[/QUOTE]

Nothing. It comes with everything you'll need for the 360, PS3, & PC. :D

[quote name='LordKefka06']The cheapest I could find the PROs is for $170 at BB. But then they have tax & shipping, unlike Amazon.

Too bad you missed out on the sale Newegg had. They had them for $155 and then there was a $25 off coupon. So Newegg had them for around $130.[/QUOTE]

I saw that newegg sale. I was gonna order it then... but it was out of stock. :(

[quote name='cRodz']well. this thread is a major turn off. 200 for a bluetooth headset? :whistle2:#

i am not really looking for a surround sound or dolby digital blah blah blah, expensive, blah, flashy blah and shiny bluetooth headset.

how bout a nice reliable cheap bluetooth headset?
what do you guys recommend?
i just want to be able to chat on the ps3 since i am getting socom in a few days.

Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

With the official Sony bluetooth headset you can't go wrong, though it's relatively expensive (~45) but you'll get the best headset for the PS3.

[quote name='option.iv']I just use the Sony bt headset in base mode.[/QUOTE]

I use the Sony bt in base mode also with my Turtle Beach X3.

Couldn't justify paying another $100 for a headset.

If you like most people, do not need it to talk (just listen) there are lots of alternatives (dongles, etc) that work with regular headphones and are much cheaper. My buddy uses his Senheiser H280 with an audio splitter/dongle and it sounds great.

IMO, there was about a 10-15 hour burn in period for the Tritton AX PROs. Either that, or it took my brain some time to learn how the speakers worked.

I can not find anyone who is selling the Triton AX PROs. Online or not.

I guess I have to wait for Amazon to get them in stock....

Ill keep checking. I'd rather buy it from a physical store now, and just return the unopened Amazon.com purchase once it shows up.

[quote name='zenithyoda']I can not find anyone who is selling the Triton AX PROs. Online or not.

I guess I have to wait for Amazon to get them in stock....

Ill keep checking. I'd rather buy it from a physical store now, and just return the unopened Amazon.com purchase once it shows up.[/QUOTE]

I'm also waiting for Amazon to get them back in stock. However, I think I'll wait until a deal pops up for the time being.

Great news. I called Tritton today to see what I need to do to get my headset replaced. Nathan (Tritton employee) told me that they are coming out with a newer version of the Tritton AX PROs, and that they will be shipping them out sometime during the 3rd week of February. Nathan said that these make "major improvements" over the current PROs.

I also figured out that the Tritton warehouse is ~15 miles away from my house. So Nathan said that I could come & return/pick up my new pair without the need to pay for shipping:D. I also can pickup my new pair during the 2nd week of February, even before they ship them out.

My guess is that this is the reason that the PROs are currently OOS from all the retailers. Since they are awaiting the new shipment of the upgraded version.

Don't get these confused with the yet to be released "Tritton AX 900". He clearly stated that these are a newer model of the PROs.

Also, here is a screencap of their front page.

AXPRO.jpg

[quote name='LordKefka06']Great news. I called Tritton today to see what I need to do to get my headset replaced. Nathan (Tritton employee) told me that they are coming out with a newer version of the Tritton AX PROs, and that they will be shipping them out sometime during the 3rd week of February. Nathan said that these make "major improvements" over the current PROs.

I also figured out that the Tritton warehouse is ~15 miles away from my house. So Nathan said that I could come & return/pick up my new pair without the need to pay for shipping:D. I also can pickup my new pair during the 2nd week of February, even before they ship them out.

My guess is that this is the reason that the PROs are currently OOS from all the retailers. Since they are awaiting the new shipment of the upgraded version.

Don't get these confused with the yet to be released "Tritton AX 900". He clearly stated that these are a newer model of the PROs.

AXPRO.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Oh shit, it's in Vista?

I just recently purchased a pair of AX 180's when they dropped to $55 from Amazon earlier this week. Totally digging them for straight up stereo sound as my PC headset was going on it's 4th year and started cutting out.

I'll keep an eye on the newer stuff from Tritton.

[quote name='menikmati']I just recently purchased a pair of AX 180's when they dropped to $55 from Amazon earlier this week. Totally digging them for straight up stereo sound as my PC headset was going on it's 4th year and started cutting out.

I'll keep an eye on the newer stuff from Tritton.[/QUOTE]

I bought two pairs of the ax360s off amazon last week when they came in stock at 54.96. They were in stock for maybe 2-3 hours, and I am thoroughly impressed with them.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Great news. I called Tritton today to see what I need to do to get my headset replaced. Nathan (Tritton employee) told me that they are coming out with a newer version of the Tritton AX PROs, and that they will be shipping them out sometime during the 3rd week of February. Nathan said that these make "major improvements" over the current PROs.

AXPRO.jpg
[/QUOTE]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826235005

It looks like they are out??

I have money on my Amazon account, so I have to wait until Amazon gets it.

I bought the tritton ax180 "universal headset" from amazon for about $55 last week and the 1st pair were messed up but I got a replacement free and it was 1 day shipping and am happy with them. I only use them on my ps3 and they are better and more comfortable than my x1 turtle beach headset.

How do you guys like the ax pro? Is the surround sound noticeable? I tried out the ax720 since I couldn't find the ax pro anywhere. I couldn't really tell what direction enemies where approaching from on the ax 720.

bread's done
Back