Help a CAG find a HDTV! Pref 50" Plasma

Deadpool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I was primarily looking for the Samsung PN50A550 but the best price i can find is $1800 at Best Buy (plus the 12% off coupon). If anyone knows of a cheaper place or comparable tv for cheaper help me out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be a very hot Plasma deal at Circuit City:

Circuit City is having Samsung 50' 1080P Plasma HDTV FPT5084 for $1399 with $100 coupon code B7A7MTJALP for pickup at local stores in your area. Also Circuit City is having a 12.5% cash back at Live.com. Depending on your local sales tax rate, total out of pocket expense for this new 50'' Samsung comes around $1325 or cheaper which, to me, is a very attractive deal. Review on this TV set has been awesome.

It definitely deserves a check if you are shopping for a big Plasma...

TV link:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&searchType=user&keyword=fpt5084&sear chSection=All

credits to zenghe at slickdeals.com

wait for that vizio vp505xvt... it has a hqv(hollywood quality video) processor in it like panasonics and the kuros. it should be at costco soon. the retail on the 47" xvt lcd is 1899 and costco has it for 1399 and the retail on the 50" plasma xvt is going to be 1699, so I think that the price for that would be around 1299 perhaps... keep an eye out for that. and on top of that you get the 2 year warrant for frizzle and that 90 day return policy just in case you dont like it or see something else you like.

I ended getting the Samsung PN50A550 at Best buy for $1583.98

I showed them the 12.5% off at Circuit City online (through Live.com) and they Price matched it!

[quote name='muhsheesuh']I don't hear too many good things about the 550 series but congrats![/QUOTE]

The thing is a beast, so yeah i'm happy! I saw both tv's side by side and the 550 with a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio (as opposed to 15,000:1) was dramatically sharper in PQ. Now this could have been the way the displays were set up but for the extra couple hundred it was well woth it!

[quote name='quanex']wait for that vizio vp505xvt... it has a hqv(hollywood quality video) processor in it like panasonics and the kuros. it should be at costco soon. the retail on the 47" xvt lcd is 1899 and costco has it for 1399 and the retail on the 50" plasma xvt is going to be 1699, so I think that the price for that would be around 1299 perhaps... keep an eye out for that. and on top of that you get the 2 year warrant for frizzle and that 90 day return policy just in case you dont like it or see something else you like.[/QUOTE]

Oh and the Kuro was only $100 more, but i didn't notice any difference in PQ except a higher light level. I'd rather not go with a Vizio, my buddy has had one for only a year and it has darkened conciderably since then.

[quote name='Deadpool']1,000,000:1 contrast ratio (as opposed to 15,000:1) was dramatically sharper in PQ. [/QUOTE]

The 1,000,000:1 spec is dynamic contrast, not native/static contrast. The actual contrast is about 30,000:1 max IIRC. I hate how companies continue to use these absurd numbers to try and lure in consumers. It's all marketing hype and it's ridiculous.

Vizio's are garbage.... after checking them all out, I was willing to pay the difference for my Bravia. Agoraquest does group buy discounts, and the same can be found for other brands on the AV Forums. I don't see the point of going cheap on a tv, when you lose quality and reliability. Sure there are those who don't give a shit about small details, but for me, size and price doesn't mean shit. You save so much money being a CAG, you could save the difference for a top of the line set. Samsung and some of the Panasonics are nice as well... but I have yet to personally view a set that looks better than a Sony. Ask Cheapy what he likes, as he lives near all the cutting edge electronics stores. What really sucks is how far behind America is with it's technology. Here in Japan, the sets trump what you get :( Bill Gates announced his future plans of HDD televisions, with multimedia hubs built in... and they have been here for a while now.
Good luck with w/e you get :)

I take back what I said on the 550 series, I'm about to purchase that or possibly the 650 in a 32'' size. Anyone know the difference between the two besides price and an extra HDMI port. The ToC is something stupid that I don't really need as I could care less what color the bezel is if it's a shade of black.

[quote name='Static X']The 1,000,000:1 spec is dynamic contrast, not native/static contrast. The actual contrast is about 30,000:1 max IIRC. I hate how companies continue to use these absurd numbers to try and lure in consumers. It's all marketing hype and it's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

That may very well be, but the picture was far superior showing the same content.

[quote name='muhsheesuh']I take back what I said on the 550 series, I'm about to purchase that or possibly the 650 in a 32'' size. Anyone know the difference between the two besides price and an extra HDMI port. The ToC is something stupid that I don't really need as I could care less what color the bezel is if it's a shade of black.[/QUOTE]

The pictures looked identical to me. I believe the 650 is supposed to have a better menu system. And the ToC isn't really noticable while the set is on unless you are looking for it.

[quote name='Deadpool']That may very well be, but the picture was far superior showing the same content.[/QUOTE]

By no means am I saying it didn't have a stellar picture. That is a quality set with a wider color gamut. I am just saying that dynamic contrast ratio isn't equal to static contrast and it has nothing to do with sharpness of the picture. You have any pics yet of your set in action? :)

[quote name='Static X']By no means am I saying it didn't have a stellar picture. That is a quality set with a wider color gamut. I am just saying that dynamic contrast ratio isn't equal to static contrast and it has nothing to do with sharpness of the picture. You have any pics yet of your set in action? :)[/QUOTE]

I don't own a camera outside of the shitty one on my phone 8-[

bread's done
Back