Help! All of my account info etc. on my ps3 is gone!

cswloo

CAGiversary!
Ok, so I was installing Tomb Raider 2 that I just downloaded off PSN. The install completed, I hit O to go back to the menu. My PS3 then completely froze, and I couldn't do anything. A red sort of 'do not enter' sign type icon appeared on the top right corner.

I managed to get it to to turn off, you know, I thought maybe restarting might fix it. Now when I turn it on, all of my data appears to be gone. I can't even access the menu on the XMB that lets you turn off the system. No account info, missing menu options.

What do I do??

edit: Should have mentioned it's a 120GB Slim, if that makes any difference at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Serpentor']Sounds like a hard drive issue... Sorry, not much to work with.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I kind of thought it might be :(. I do still have it under warranty at Best Buy, so I'm going to bring it into them tonight and see what they can do. I hope I won't lose all of my data, but right now, that seems like it'd be impossible.

And in response to sir-fly, I tried holding down power, all I heard were 3 beeps and got a blank screen. Nothing else happened.

[quote name='cswloo']Yeah, I kind of thought it might be :(. I do still have it under warranty at Best Buy, so I'm going to bring it into them tonight and see what they can do. I hope I won't lose all of my data, but right now, that seems like it'd be impossible.

And in response to sir-fly, I tried holding down power, all I heard were 3 beeps and got a blank screen. Nothing else happened.[/QUOTE]well hold the button down a few seconds longer then normal while turning it on
you should get a menu screen with a few trouble shooting fixing options

[quote name='sir-fly']well hold the button down a few seconds longer then normal while turning it on
you should get a menu screen with a few trouble shooting fixing options[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll give that a try tonight before I bring it into Best Buy. I'd rather not bring it in for them to attempt repairs, if I don't have to, even though it is still under warranty with them.

Well, if you have a backup (most of us don't anyway), try to format the hdd and see what happens. It does sound like the hdd gone bad. I'm abusing my PS3 a lot lately (Netflix, BD, DVD upscale, PSP games) and every time there's a hick up, I'm worried :whistle2:(

Installations are slow... Copying PSP games slow too (Ghost of Sparta took forever to transfer). Then there's those soundtrack, video files that need to be installed, they all take a long time to process. I'm guessing my hdd is taking a lot of stress (I upgraded to 500gb, not using the hdd that came with the console).

Sadly no backup. But if I manage to get this fixed, I'll be doing a backup weekly onto an external HDD.

I've been looking into the 'Safe Mode' menu, so I might try a couple of the other troubleshooting options it has (provided I can even get into that menu), and format the hdd as a last resort. Although, if I can't fix it without formatting it, I might as well let the Best Buy techs muck around with it. At least if they break it more, it's their own fault and not mine.

Just wanted to thank you guys for your help. I managed to get my PS3 back into working order. I ended up losing everything on it though :(. Oh well, it just reminds me how important backups are.

bread's done
Back