Help and explanation of routers needed, please.

crunchberries

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
I have a couple of game systems (Wii and 360) and I'd like to use the online features they have, but I have no clue what router I should get to connect them wirelessly. Yes, wirelessly is the only way I can go; Ethernet isn't feasible as I'd have to have hundreds of feet of cords strewn around from one end of the house to the other.

So, my questions:

1)What's the best router for the cheapest price?
2)Are the routers at Target any good?
3)What do a, b, c, and g stand for and what's the difference between them?
4)Once I get a router, how do I set it up? I was told I could use it in conjunction with my broadband modem, but how do I do that?

Thanks in advance.

1.) Get the WRT5GL Linksys from newegg.com its $60 but its worth it.

2.) targets routers are the same as anywhere else but cost more.

3.) G is recommended since your going to be covering a large distance and want the fastest Connection possible (155 Feet @ 55mbps)

4.) Most of them are just plug and play, but you need to make sure you secure it with at least WEP or WPA2 (much better choice). Change the default password, this isn't really necessary but will help on preventing lag is to open ports for every console (each has their own ports it uses for online so look them up and open them)

5.) This is more of a uber geek thing but you can install a third party firmware like tomato or ddwrt which let you use QOS (quality of service) so you can give priority to certain services or machines while other computers and such dont hog the line while your online.

Looks like you've been covered pretty well...but I guess I'll chime in:

1. Usually, it comes down to which brand you prefer. Everybody has the Linksys WRT54G, so you can easily find troubleshooting help with it.

2. Like others said, you could get a router at Target...but you can get them cheaper online.

3. If you are in the market, you could get a wireless N router...to be future-proof (N is faster than B/G). But, those are still kinda pricey. A solid B and G router is all you need for gaming.

4. It will be very easy to setup. Your modem will have an ethernet cable running from it to the "Internet" port on the router. Then, simply plug the consoles into available ports on the router. Make sure you use WPA2 wireless security, and pop the installation CD into the computer for further assistance.

bread's done
Back