Help choosing new phone

strizay

CAG Newbie
I'm not sure how much help I'm actually going to get with this, but I'm on this Forum more than any other, so I figured I come here with it.

I'm looking for a new phone. Preferably a non contract phone, but something I can use with PagePlus or a similar carrier. I have a $100 budget.

These are some of the things I am looking for specifically:

- 5 - 8mp camera
- Android (doesn't have to be Jelly Bean, but not old either)
- wi-fi
- bluetooth
- slide QWERTY keyboard (very important)

Thanks for the help

PagePlus is a regional carrier that I've never heard of. What kind of plan do you want? Are you willing to sacrifice service quality to get the kind of phone you want? You need to be a bit more specific in what you're looking for.

$100 isn't much of a budget and slide keyboards are kind of rare in smartphones nowadays.

The Kyocera Rise may be what you're looking for. It's a phone for Virgin Mobile. Virgin Mobile's plans start at $35/m for 300minutes and 2.5gb of Data, but it should be noted that you aren't going to get the best service (but that can be said with all true prepaid "piggybacking" carriers).

The Kyocera Rise is an Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) Phone, has a 3.2MP Camera with Flash, and an above average slide QWERTY keyboard. All Android phones have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

The phone is most commonly sold for $80 now, lowest price it's been was $30 on Black Friday last year.

Not very many options for a $100 budget, there are two more phones that I can think of, the Motorola Photon Q (but is only available on-contract with Sprint or Cspire) and the T-Mobile MyTouch Q, which while you're getting a good carrier (and a good off-contract plan), the phone itself isn't the best and you can expect to be paying around $200 for a new one.

Thanks Bud. Out of 175 views, yours is the only answer I got. Maybe I worded it wrong and it confused some people. Or maybe, people just don't know the answer.

I was looking at the Straight Talk Android LG Optimus Q. IS that a pretty good phone? I haven't bought a new phone since the LG Ally, I've been using this crap touch screen tracfone for a while and I'm looking for a decent upgrade.

[quote name='strizay']Thanks Bud. Out of 175 views, yours is the only answer I got. Maybe I worded it wrong and it confused some people. Or maybe, people just don't know the answer.

I was looking at the Straight Talk Android LG Optimus Q. IS that a pretty good phone? I haven't bought a new phone since the LG Ally, I've been using this crap touch screen tracfone for a while and I'm looking for a decent upgrade.[/QUOTE]

My brother uses an LG Optimus Slider, which is the same phone as the Optimus Q, but for Virgin Mobile. It's a decent phone. Nothing high end, and the screen isn't too big. It runs Gingerbread (Android 2.3), so you aren't going to get the same 4.x experience as you would with other phones. Keyboard is solid and with a custom ROM and kernel it runs pretty speedy.

Thanks again for the help. I picked up a Kyocera Rise on ebay last night for $50 shipped based on your advice.

bread's done
Back