help connecting my computer to other devices (360, PS3)

DestroVega

CAGiversary!
I'm pretty much lost. I used to be able to stream movie clips and music from my computer to my game systems. Then, it would only work when I opened windows media player on my computer and clicked ALLOW SHARE to other devices when WMP would open up... now I can't get it to work at all, and I haven't changed anything with my computer...

does anyone have any clues? And I don't want to use Media Center, just want my stuff streamable. I have a Netgear router if that makes anything easier. My computer is wireless internet, my systems are both wired into the router.

Thanks for any help, hopefully this is in the right forum.

First off, put static IPs on your PS3 and 360, unless they leave your house/apartment. Check to see what the DHCP range is and put the static IPs outside that range.

Second, check to make sure your router has the most recent firmware on it. If it's out of date, update it.

Everything on your internal network should be on the inside of the firewall, so opening up ports shouldn't be a need.

Mentioning the model of your router would be helpful as well.

It's Netgear but I don't know the exact model.

I have to be honest, I'm pretty tech-savvy.. but I've never set up a router, I've had friends do it both times I needed to, and I don't know much about it at all. Everything you said up there about the DHCP and static IPs, is like Greek to me. I do know the difference between Static IP's and the other type, but have no clue how to change them in the settings. (I'm sure if I fish around I could find out)

As far as the firmware, I can do that online? Like I said, this is probably the only thing I'm totally in the dark in when it comes to technology, I need all the help I can get.

I'll search for the router box to try and find the model.

bread's done
Back