Help finding LCD TV

jskatt21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I am looking for the following:
40+ inch LCD TV
1080p (gaming with PS3, not sure if I should go with 720 or 1080)
decent response time (heard this is important for gaming)
Looking to spend around $1000 give or take a few hundred

I just want a good TV that is good for gaming and tv/movie watching (gaming probably more) I am not familiar with LCD TV's so looking for some suggestions,tips, and knowledge. I found a Dynex at Best Buy that fits most of this but wasn't sure if that was a good choice,

Don't buy vizio or dynex, those can't hold a candle to samsung, who makes the best LCD's right now.

The new 2008 LN40A550 is only $886 dollars right now on amazon after a $200 rebate and the LN40A650 is only $1172 after rebate as well as free shipping. These tv's are 40'', 1080p, 5ms/4ms ,great for gaming (faster than last year's 8ms), and 30,000:1/50,000:1 contrast respectively (vizio's is 6,500:1) with the 650 also having 120hz. Sammy is definitely top of the line in LCD's, they have the blackest blacks and amazing color and detail. Their screens are pretty anti-reflective as well, which is nice.

Read some reviews on these tv's, and you'll agree it's a steal (i spent $1700 on mine), everywhere these tv receives 4 to 5 stars. i wish I could buy one of these, they're supposed to be so much more improved over last years. I have last year's LNT4069FX with 120hz and it's amazing, everyone that watches it can't believe the detail, samsungs are that good. If you're going to drop $1000 of your cash, it might as well be on a top of the line product, and not some mediocre walmart/best buy brand.

hi,
Just few weeks ago, I have purchased Samsung Electronics 37" 1080P LCD HDTV W/Tunter at Onsale.com by going through Rebation.com. By going through Rebation.com, I have got LCD TV for only $969.99 (Actual rate $1,399.99) + Free Wal Mount + freeshipping after Rebate & i have got 3% cash back also. Very Very great store. I watching the movies, playing games. so nice TV.

If you want something cheap, Costco has a 42" Westinghouse 1080p VK-42F240S TV for $699. Went there yesterday and it caught my eyes.

[quote name='von551']Don't buy vizio or dynex, those can't hold a candle to samsung, who makes the best LCD's right now.

The new 2008 LN40A550 is only $886 dollars right now on amazon after a $200 rebate and the LN40A650 is only $1172 after rebate as well as free shipping. These tv's are 40'', 1080p, 5ms/4ms ,great for gaming (faster than last year's 8ms), and 30,000:1/50,000:1 contrast respectively (vizio's is 6,500:1) with the 650 also having 120hz. Sammy is definitely top of the line in LCD's, they have the blackest blacks and amazing color and detail. Their screens are pretty anti-reflective as well, which is nice.

Read some reviews on these tv's, and you'll agree it's a steal (i spent $1700 on mine), everywhere these tv receives 4 to 5 stars. i wish I could buy one of these, they're supposed to be so much more improved over last years. I have last year's LNT4069FX with 120hz and it's amazing, everyone that watches it can't believe the detail, samsungs are that good. If you're going to drop $1000 of your cash, it might as well be on a top of the line product, and not some mediocre walmart/best buy brand.[/QUOTE]Quoting because you won't get better advice than this. Absolutely agree with everything von551 said. Those are very nice deals, and you'll be extremely happy if you go with Samsung. I have this year's LN46A650 (the 46" version of the second set von551 listed) and I've been blown away at how great games and Blu-rays look on it. Go with either one of those sets and you won't regret it.

[quote name='von551']Don't buy vizio or dynex, those can't hold a candle to samsung, who makes the best LCD's right now.

Read some reviews on these tv's, and you'll agree it's a steal (i spent $1700 on mine), everywhere these tv receives 4 to 5 stars. i wish I could buy one of these, they're supposed to be so much more improved over last years. I have last year's LNT4069FX with 120hz and it's amazing, everyone that watches it can't believe the detail, samsungs are that good. If you're going to drop $1000 of your cash, it might as well be on a top of the line product, and not some mediocre walmart/best buy brand.[/QUOTE]

again... qtf

i also have a sammy lcd and couldn't be happier. don't waste your time with that other crap when the samsungs are only a little more.

Read some reviews on these tv's, and you'll agree it's a steal (i spent $1700 on mine), everywhere these tv receives 4 to 5 stars. i wish I could buy one of these, they're supposed to be so much more improved over last years. I have last year's LNT4069FX with 120hz and it's amazing, everyone that watches it can't believe the detail, samsungs are that good. If you're going to drop $1000 of your cash, it might as well be on a top of the line product, and not some mediocre walmart/best buy brand.[/quote]

How many people actually bothered to actually download and read the fine print or heck just read the "rebate" samsung is offering?
IT IS NOT A REBATE, IT IS A GIFT REWARD CERTIFICATE NOT ACTUAL CASH BACK.

I have a 42" Vizio 1080p and absolutely love it. I have had it for about a year and have had no issues. I have heard of issues with the Westinghouse brand and PS3's (search forums) but do your research on that. For roughly $900 I got mine at BJ's. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess it makes sense if we are going to be dropping $1000 to get a quality TV. I did not see the $200 rebate on the LN40A550. Any idea what happened or how to get it?

Edit: NM I found it

Do you recommend getting a service plan with this?

Also, I have heard a lot of people talking about HDMI cables and that you don't have to pay hundreds for one and there are places to get them really cheap. Any suggestions?

[quote name='klingon666']http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp Alot of cags will say this is the place for hdmi cables or anything else...........[/QUOTE]
Yup, I was going to suggest this as well. When I bought my first HDTV, I bought a $75 Monster HDMI cable to hook my 360 up with. Then another CAG pointed me to monoprice where I bought a few HDMI cables for, like $3 each. No difference in quality that I can see or hear.

[quote name='Danimal']Yup, I was going to suggest this as well. When I bought my first HDTV, I bought a $75 Monster HDMI cable to hook my 360 up with. Then another CAG pointed me to monoprice where I bought a few HDMI cables for, like $3 each. No difference in quality that I can see or hear.[/quote]

i had a bad experience with some component cables i bought showing lines across the screen like static, so i can't recommend monoprice personally.

[quote name='jskatt21']Sorry another update, there are claims that the $200 rebate is towards NFL Mounted Memories and not a cash back item.[/quote]

is that what it is? lame. i clicked on it to see what it was, but couldn't find anything on it. well, even without the rebate, it's still a screamin' deal. like i said, mine cost me $1700 in december.

as far as warranty goes, they're pretty useless for quality lcd's, there's only a 3% failure rate.

no, you don't have to spend a ton of money for HDMI cables. you want 1.3 specification HDMI cables, it will carry the best audio and video available right now. i can't recommend monoprice for cables because i wasn't impressed with the quality, but you can try and always return it if you have issues, they're way cheap. for wall mounts too, my bro-in-law just bought one from them for $24 that extends from the wall. you can get ones that extend and tilt for about $50 that is ridiculously cheap if you want to mount your tv. these are usually a few hundred bucks anywhere else.

is there any different in a $75 HDMI cable and a $35 HDMI cable? I got 2 free HDMI Cable one from my PS3 purchase and one from my Vizio HDTV purchase. o.o both are 6ft. Just wondering if any thing improve if i use a $75 HDMI cable instead of these cable? lol

No difference in the hdmi cables. The only problem is they are both overpriced for what they would have charged you if you didn't get them for free. You can get a 6ft hdmi cable from monoprice or bluejeans cables for quite less than 10 bucks.

[quote name='Static X']No difference in the hdmi cables. The only problem is they are both overpriced for what they would have charged you if you didn't get them for free. You can get a 6ft hdmi cable from monoprice or bluejeans cables for quite less than 10 bucks.[/quote]
so i saw some THX HMDI cable for like $100 they won't make a different? What about Digital Optical cables?

Hdmi cables all do the same thing, no matter what "extra features and certifications" a big box company slaps on the packaging. I also have never noticed the slightest difference with digital optical cables also. I have used regular cables and expensive glass cables and they sound no different to me. I would like to think I could hear a difference as I install and work around audio/video equipment for a living.

[quote name='Static X']Hdmi cables all do the same thing, no matter what "extra features and certifications" a big box company slaps on the packaging. I also have never noticed the slightest difference with digital optical cables also. I have used regular cables and expensive glass cables and they sound no different to me. I would like to think I could hear a difference as I install and work around audio/video equipment for a living.[/quote]

i see I was looking for a cheap optical cable for my ps3 but I just ordered one from sony reward =p cuz I have some reward points there.

With digital cables (digital audio and HDMI or DVI video), the price of the cable makes NO difference. The reason for that is simple: it's digital. As in, a string of 1's and 0's. With analog video and audio, the quality of the cable made some difference, since the signal was analog. But with digital audio and video, the cable quality doesn't matter. You either get a perfect picture/sound or no picture/sound at all.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']With digital cables (digital audio and HDMI or DVI video), the price of the cable makes NO difference. The reason for that is simple: it's digital. As in, a string of 1's and 0's. With analog video and audio, the quality of the cable made some difference, since the signal was analog. But with digital audio and video, the cable quality doesn't matter. You either get a perfect picture/sound or no picture/sound at all.[/quote]
Not necessarily true, particularly at long distances.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/hdmi-cables.htm

Nope, now I am not sure what to do. I would like to spend $1000 or less, and then maybe get a 32inch LCD. All for around $1500, which I know can be tough to do. I also would consider getting the 32inch now, and then getting a larger one in the future for when we finish our basement, then I could use the 32in until then. But if I am going to spend $800 on a 32inch, why not get a 40+inch? So many decisions. LOL.

bread's done
Back