Help for a Victim of Hurricane Charley. UPDATE 8/23/2004

VelvetHammer

CAGiversary!
I was reading an article on CNN.com about the aftermath of Hurricane Charley in Florida, when the mention of a Playstation 2 caught my eye. Apparently the CNN reporter was interviewing a boy whose home was destroyed by the storm. Patrick DeRoche, 13 was standing where his room once was. Thankfully his family survived the storm. But if you read the article: ( http://www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/08/15/charley.scene.reut/index.html ) you will see his concern over losing his PS2. I know it may seem strange in the face of all that destruction to be concerned over a video game system, but it's normal for those in shock.

My proposal is that we, as a community of video gamers, get together to help this boy. I personally will buy him a new PS2. My request is that any other interested parties please contact me. I'd like to get as many games possible to send along with the PS2 as well. I'll also check with my PR office Monday to see if we can send along some other basics, like soap, socks, ect.

I'll spend tomorrow trying to find a way to locate and contact this boy's family, as well as determining a means of shipping the items to him.

If there's enough interest here, I'll post my contact info to my office. I guess I could set up some means (Paypal ect..) for everyone interested in donating.

Please trust that this is a legitimate charity interest on my part, and I am willing to provide what ever means to prove that. I'm not trying to swindle everyone out of their games and cash.

I just feel that this is an opportunity for all of us to give back, in a way that relates to something we all have an interest in. I think we all can imagine what it would be like to lose our collection, or at least something that provided us enjoyment. It may be months before normality returns to this area; at least we could provide one boy with something to make it a little less terrible.

I'll update this regularly and let those interested know how things progress.

UPDATE: 8/23/2004 - 8:58AM

I located a shipping address and would like to get things out to him by Friday, August 27. So I should ship no later than Monday the 23rd.

I spoke to his mother and she indicated that he lost everything in his room. I asked what else I could give, and she said school supplies. School starts soon, and all they bought for him is now gone.

8/23/2004 - SHIPPING UPDATE

Spoke to UPS rep on Friday, they are only making limited deliveries that area. He said as long as its safe for the driver to make the delivery they will. Expected delay added to delivery in 4 days. Power is still out to 141,000 people in Punta Gorda. I still plan on shipping on Thursday August 26th.

Thanks again to you who have donated. He'll have plenty of games to keep him busy. I got the ESPN NFL 2005 lastnight.

We've decided no Mature rated games, he is only 13 and his brother is younger.

visit: http://inlineatech.com/patrick.htm for more info.

I will send:
PS2 Online bundle
ESPN NFL 2k5
i-Ninja
Dual Shock 2 Controller
School Supplies
$50

List of games offered by CAGers so far:
Beyond Good and Evil - thx Dead of Knight - RECEIVED! Thank You
Rygar - thx Dead of Knight - RECEIVED! Thank You
Parappa the Rapper 2 - thx scdoanintendo - RECEIVED! Thank You

I would like to donate a couple of sealed games, Indiana Jones and Terminator: Dawn of Fate for the PS2. WIll gladly ship either to your office or to a direct shipping address (if you can track one down).

Wonderful idea.

Thanks. I'll try to find an address to ship to. I can only assume that his family is staying elsewhere, other than the home address. If I can reach them and find a location to ship to, I'll let everyone know. Or perhaps just shipping all at once from my office will be best. I've only done something like this once before, and my company handled all the logistics. I'll get with the PR people Monday, they have experience in doing this.

I'll keep you all updated.

I'd donate a game in time maybe ....but....maybe it would be good if folks would donate something more helpful? Money, clothes, building materials? I like the idea of donations from this community (and yes Video games are 'our thing) but where does a PS2 rank in the things that this boy (so many if FLA) really NEEDS right now?

I found the family's Address and Phone number. A little late tonight to call. I'm not expecting the number to work, but I will try in the morning. I'll try contacting the local Red Cross or Sheriff's department to see if they can give me any info.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']I'd donate a game in time maybe ....but....maybe it would be good if folks would donate something more helpful? Money, clothes, building materials? I like the idea of donations from this community (and yes Video games are 'our thing) but where does a PS2 rank in the things that this boy (so many if FLA) really NEEDS right now?[/quote]

I grew up in Montana, and saw first-hand the devastation that the wildfires caused there. Peoples lives were, indeed, devastated; however, it always seemed to be the smallest gestures of kindness that made the biggest difference. The government comes to the rescue with building supplies and clean-up funds. The citizens of Montana banded together to replace lost dogs, bikes, hiking equpment and the like... I've never seen anything like the looks of gratitude on the faces of the victims. A gesture like this can make all of the difference in the world.

(don't want to get off topic too much here...The problem is that people think the gov't comes to the rescue but the most common way for the gov't to help is with 'low interest' loans, which don't exactly help someone. Yes its better than borrowing from the bank at a much higher rate, but its not a bailout. Grand Forks flood of 97, cousin.. lived at Homestead FL before.during/after andrew. I'm not saying we shouldn't help, just saying that help with the primary needs first, then with the luxury items.)

Hey I just thought of a pretty good idea, the "Money We Saved" cheap ass gamer club.

In this, any money we might save from a game (THIS IS COMPLETELY OPTIONAL), or any money we just feel like donating will go to help victims or will be sent to child's play.

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']Hey I just thought of a pretty good idea, the "Money We Saved" cheap ass gamer club.

In this, any money we might save from a game (THIS IS COMPLETELY OPTIONAL), or any money we just feel like donating will go to help victims or will be sent to child's play.[/quote]

Thats a good idea

Circuits are still not working for that number, I even tried the neighbor interviewed in the article. I've located the local Red Cross shelter, and will try to see if they know where this family is. I'm going to contact USPS and UPS to see what the status of shipments to that area currently is. I know most of the roads are clogged with Semis trying to get FEMA equipment in. Sad thing is, even if we are successful in getting the stuff to him, he may not have electricity for some time. I will keep working on this and updating as I have more info.

Just when I was about to give up hope of locating this boy, I got a hold of his mother via her cell phone. Strangely enough, landlines are down but Cell service is returning. I now have an address as well as a few other ideas for items to send him.

Here's what I'm going to do:

Tonight, when I get home, I will set up a page on my website detailing the items I personally will send as well as an address to send any material donations to. I will collect all of the items and ship at once, seeing as to the family's transient nature at the moment.

I would also like to take monetary donations to get him some school supplies and clothing.

I personally am going to contribute the PS2, a few games and about $100 in supplies and clothing. Anything else anyone is willing to give would be appreciated. Talking to his mother almost made me cry, and given BigNick's speech about real men, I had to end the call before breaking down. It really brought the reality of what has happened there home.

I'll continue to update as things progress.

Great idea for both. Velvethammer could you make a possible list of games that are being sent, so no one will send doubles. Also how old is the boy? The reason I am asking is because would the mother oppose mature rated games?

[quote name='scdoanintendo']Great idea for both. Velvethammer could you make a possible list of games that are being sent, so no one will send doubles. Also how old is the boy? The reason I am asking is because would the mother oppose mature rated games?[/quote]

Yeah, make sure you ok Mature games with the mother first. If she does not want mature-rated games, I'll offer up some other titles instead.

He's 13. So maybe no Mature titles. And that's a great idea about the list of games. I'll add them as I get them. I just wanted to confirm those who offered earlier.

Thanks for the interest.

oh yes. good catch. If it's shipped soon, send to my address. If it will be later this week, then I'll post his grandmother's address. That is where they are staying right now.

Yes. Thank you everyone who has offered help. Please send games to my office ASAP. I really want to get this to him as soon as possible. Don't blow a wad of dough on shipping, but try to get it here no later than Monday the 23rd. My office address is listed on the website linked in the original post. The mail room at work can help me package it all together and get it out on the best carrier. I'll update the thread with photos of the stuff and the tracking number so we can watch its progress to him.

Hey, that's great. I'll have to wait a little bit more to ship anyway. I'm having a little trouble finding a Online Bundle PS2, and UPS advised against shipping to that area just yet. I don't completely trust the USPS, since they don't do package tracking. I'll get things out on the 26th, so that will give anyone else time to ship stuff to me. I'm having so much fun with this. I hope they have the power restored by the time it gets to him.

I'm going to a wedding this weekend and will update again when I return.

bread's done
Back