Help! Gave my driver's license to some random person.

dpatel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I was at a bar, had a few drinks, wasn't thinking clearly, and some girl was walking around giving out free lighters if I showed her my driver's license. I gave her mine (dumb dumb DUMB), she had some little device which she used to scan it and input all the information. I didn't see exactly what she was doing, but I can only assume she has everything that is on my license (License number, address, name, signature, birthday, and a scan of the barcode on the back).

After you're done making fun of me for my stupid mistake (go ahead, I really deserve it) please let me know if there is anything I can do to protect myself, or am I screwed at this point?

[quote name='2DMention']Was she hot?[/QUOTE]

Well she approached me at a bar, and since that hardly ever happens to me, my standards tend to drop quite a bit when it does happen.

So "yes".

So did you get the free lighter?

Free lighter, and show your DL are 2 phrases that shouldn't be together in a sentence.

[quote name='FrankTheFrowner']Those are usually just marketing efforts to start sending you junk mail.[/QUOTE]

That was my thinking initially. I'm not bothered by that, someone else just said I was dumb for handing her my ID, which got me all paranoid.

[quote name='ppself']So did you get the free lighter?

Free lighter, and show your DL are 2 phrases that shouldn't be together in a sentence.[/QUOTE]

Yes. It's actually fairly decent for a freebie:
imagemagic.php

damn..that sucks.

I'd be paranoid, too. Only thing I can think of is to check your credit history and shit like that to see if there are changes not made by you. Of course this has to be done for the rest of your life to be at ease. I never heard of people doing what you and that girl did (asking for your license, giving it to her and you getting a lighter for it).

you can try to see if there is something you can google on the lighter itself that shows a company or something (maybe they are legit?). I'd still be paranoid though.

also, go to the bar and ask the bar tender or owner if they have any idea of some chick going around doing what she did. maybe they can give you some info. Time to play detective.

It's for Sailor Jerry's Rum, so the marketing rep (ie: random hot girl who wants to give you something) has to scan it to verify that you are over 21. Since alcohol and tobacco companies can't market to kids, they do it as a safety precaution. You'll be fine, but you will get some extra junk mail now.

At least you got a nice lighter out of the deal.

[quote name='Cracka']was she giving away bottle openers for social security numbers?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately no. I really could have used another bottle opener :(

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']It's for Sailor Jerry's Rum, so the marketing rep (ie: random hot girl who wants to give you something) has to scan it to verify that you are over 21. Since alcohol and tobacco companies can't market to kids, they do it as a safety precaution. You'll be fine, but you will get some extra junk mail now.

At least you got a nice lighter out of the deal.[/QUOTE]

This sounds about right.

[quote name='dpatel']Unfortunately no. I really could have used another bottle opener :([/QUOTE]
:applause: Good to see you're keeping a sense of humor about this. I really wouldn't worry too much about it. You may get some extra junk mail and shit, but I don't see anything else happening.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']:applause: Good to see you're keeping a sense of humor about this. I really wouldn't worry too much about it. You may get some extra junk mail and shit, but I don't see anything else happening.[/QUOTE]

Lol.. well not much I can do now anyway. At the time, I thought the worst that could happen is I would get extra junk mail (no biggie). Then other people started saying how dumb that was, and it got me pretty paranoid. I google'd the lighter, and this seems like a common freebie given away in exchange for junk mail. Just wanted to make sure if I should be worried. I guess I'll continue to monitor my credit, but a little research on the thing has eased my mind.

[quote name='batman1939']I have bad credit any ways so I would have gave her my license too. If that makes you feel better.[/QUOTE]

Yes.. a little.

more than likely she was just using it to verify you were 21 because it is an alcohol related promotion.

ive been to several bars where they scan your DL with hand held devices to verify your age. for example, one bar i frequent is also a restaurant by day, during certain events it becomes 21 and over. they have a guy roll around a few minutes before the designated time and scans the DLs and lets you stay or kicks you out. i wouldnt be worried unless youre scared of sailor jerry stuff in the mail.

[quote name='Strell']Is there a reason a scanner is required for age verification versus just looking at someone's DOB?[/QUOTE]

better at catching fakes than the human eye

[quote name='Strell']Is there a reason a scanner is required for age verification versus just looking at someone's DOB?[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's to let her superior know that she did in fact verify my age. Better than just her word, I suppose.

Like others have said, it was just age verification. The bars around here all have them. It is easier to scan and get an exact age number than to look at birth dates, etc. Plus, the scanners turn the near mindless job of door man into an entirely mindless job.

At some higher end clubs they swipe your ID at the door before you get in, it's cheaper to give the big burly guy a blacklight but some clubs have the money to burn.

[quote name='dpatel']Maybe it's to let her superior know that she did in fact verify my age. Better than just her word, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe the company she works for gives a bonus for the most licenses scanned in a single night?

You should have swiped your license like a credit card down her butt crack.

I wouldn't be worried at all. When i worked at a bar the Camel people would come by every week and scan DL's for free packs of smokes. I did it every time they showed up. Now i get $1.50 off coupons for cigarettes every month. Worked out pretty well for me.

[quote name='JDN169']I wouldn't be worried at all. When i worked at a bar the Camel people would come by every week and scan DL's for free packs of smokes. I did it every time they showed up. Now i get $1.50 off coupons for cigarettes every month. Worked out pretty well for me.[/QUOTE]

They should have gave you free cigs, too.

[quote name='JDN169']I wouldn't be worried at all. When i worked at a bar the Camel people would come by every week and scan DL's for free packs of smokes. I did it every time they showed up. Now i get $1.50 off coupons for cigarettes every month. Worked out pretty well for me.[/QUOTE]
'cept for the cancer.

bread's done
Back