Help! How to host a video gaming birthday party?

maxgle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hi all,

Thanks for reading! I really need your help on this one. My brother's birthday is coming up next Sat and he told me all he want to do is play video games this year instead of going out. So I was thinking about hosting a party involves with a lot of gaming and food.... Unfortunately, what makes this difficult is that , like most cager here, we have a lot of games around the house already and there isn't really anything that my brother hasn't played. Taiko drummer, DDR, Rockband, Guitar Hero... all these have been played to death... so you can probably see why I would desperately need your help.

Has anyone of you done something like this before? or attend any of such events? Even though we are looking at a small scale of party (10-15 people max), I'll be truly grateful if you can help me with some of your suggestion on how to approach this... and maybe if you want, you can share with us your story too. Any help is appreciated.

A troubled cager.. :(

[quote name='maxgle']Hi all,

Thanks for reading! I really need your help on this one. My brother's birthday is coming up next Sat and he told me all he want to do is play video games this year instead of going out. So I was thinking about hosting a party involves with a lot of gaming and food.... Unfortunately, what makes this difficult is that , like most cager here, we have a lot of games around the house already and there isn't really anything that my brother hasn't played. Taiko drummer, DDR, Rockband, Guitar Hero... all these have been played to death... so you can probably see why I would desperately need your help.

Has anyone of you done something like this before? or attend any of such events? Even though we are looking at a small scale of party (10-15 people max), I'll be truly grateful if you can help me with some of your suggestion on how to approach this... and maybe if you want, you can share with us your story too. Any help is appreciated.

A troubled cager.. :([/quote]
I've never thrown a party specifically for video games but whenever I have friends over to hang out and we start playing video games it seems that older games are always the biggest hit. Stuff like Super Smash Bros., Goldeneye, Duck Hunt, and Mario Kart get the most attention. Maybe you could try to throw some nostalgia in?

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I've never thrown a party specifically for video games but whenever I have friends over to hang out and we start playing video games it seems that older games are always the biggest hit. Stuff like Super Smash Bros., Goldeneye, Duck Hunt, and Mario Kart get the most attention. Maybe you could try to throw some nostalgia in?[/quote]

Pretty much -- borrow some extra TVs, have a few games running at once. Either run multiple tournaments, passing time at each station, or combine them all into a gaming triathalon. Maybe start with some 8-bit Duck Hunt or Mario 3 or something, the next is some 16-bit goodness, maybe racing with F-Zero or Mario Kart, Goldeneye on the N64, Smash Bros. on the Cube, and what isn't awesome on the Wii?

And that's just Nintendo...there are tons of shooters and rhythm party games on the 360 as well.

I remember back in the day having Halo parties with 4 Xbox's and 4 TV's, that was a BLAST! We did it once a week for like 2 years, lol

could try doing something like that with Halo 3?

smash bros. tourney would be good fun.

Do a simple tournament with a wide variety of games. Things that basically anyone can get into and have a good time. One year we basically did these games and it was all based on total points in the end.
-Mr.Driller
-Crash mode in Burnout 3
Typing of the Dead
-Mario Kart: DD
-Soul Calibur II
-Indiana Jones pinball

There were some others I'm sure I can't think of, but just a wide varied variety helps so that ways not one person will stand out as winner or something.

Oh man. When I was a kid my older brother had one of these. We had a Commodore 64 jimmy rigged to a 13" tv and we all took turns playing Sk8 or Die on it.

Great times indeed. So maybe you could try something like that:)

bread's done
Back