Help Me CAGs, you're my only hope! (TV troubles)

maddfrog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I bought one of those Konka 20" Color TV for $68.99 from Best Buy on Black Friday and I'm having problems with the brightness on the TV. The issue comes up especially when I'm playing video games when if the game goes to a dark area, I can hardly see a thing. For example, I played DMC 2 and most of the time I had to "feel around" to advance in the game.

So I'm asking if anyone else bought the TV and had the same problem, because I'm thinking it just might be something wrong with the TV I got. If thats the case, I'll just go back to Best Buy and exchange it. If its something major, I might try to get a refund and get another TV. Help is greatly appeciated, thanks.

Can't you just turn the brightness and contrast up? Is there an option for selecting a different profile for settings (like sports, movies, etc). My Apex does that.

I wouldn't buy a TV from Tonka either, they don't even make good dump trucks anymore.

The brightness and contrast are all the way up. The strange thing is that if I'm watching a show or movie, no problems. But say in a game like Devil May Cry 2 or Kingdom Hearts where its dark you can't see anything but the characters.

EDIT: This isn't just for anyone that has the TV, open for anyone to give advise on what I should do

hey i know exactly what you mean. I have a SHARP and the television is fine and everything but when i go to watch my family guy dvds it is way to bright it hurts my eyes. When i play nfl 2k5 the letters are really blurry and the picture is not that great. I messed with all the sharpness and stuff but it makes it worse. On my tv it has an energy save on off thing and i changed that and it is a little better

[quote name='dafoomie']Can't you just turn the brightness and contrast up? Is there an option for selecting a different profile for settings (like sports, movies, etc). My Apex does that.

I wouldn't buy a TV from Tonka either, they don't even make good dump trucks anymore.[/quote]

I have a Apex too and they are a very very very underrated company. There TV's IMO are one of the best.

Ya, I have a APEX DVD ploayer in my bedroom and it works perfectly. I've never had a problem. And the best part is...I got it on sale for $35. \:D/

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']Are you only having this problem with DMC2 or all your games?[/quote]

It's all my games, whenever its a dark setting, you can't see anything. I did call Best Buy today seeing if they had any other complaints about the TV and the person I talked to said that this is the first time she's heard anything about it. So I guess what I'm going to do is take it back and get a exchange and see if its like that with another TV.

Also, when I was looking up the specs for the TV, I found that it has a dark tube which is designed to reduce glare, this grid improves color contrast and absorbs room light. So maybe that is the problem?

Get it exchanged and see if the same problem persists. I assume you never had this problem with your PS2 when it was plugged into other TVs, right?

Games always come out darker than movies or tv shows, but maybe the tv has a set of brightness/contrast controls on the tv?

My old( prob. more than 10 yrs old) sharp has controls behind the tv to control brightness and contrast, separate from the brightness/contrast found in the menu system.

I'm not exactly which settings your TV has, but try this if you can:

"Picture" Turn it up
"Brightness" Turn it up, but not as high as "Picture"
"Contrast" Turn it down
"Sharpness" Turn it down

On most TV's "Picture" sets how bright the white level is on screen, and "Brightness" sets how bright the shadows are on screen. Adjusting the "Contrast" pushes the the white level and the shadows to the extremes, making everything either too bright or too dark. So you may just have your Contrast set too high... or you really could have a defective TV.

Good luck to you!

Does your TV have auto color? Games always are a tad darker on my tv, but auto color counters that. Also, have you tried boosting the in game brightness?

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']Get it exchanged and see if the same problem persists. I assume you never had this problem with your PS2 when it was plugged into other TVs, right?[/quote]

Nope, I live with a roommate and I hooked the PS2 to his TV and doesn't have problems

[quote name='jngx80']Games always come out darker than movies or tv shows, but maybe the tv has a set of brightness/contrast controls on the tv?[/quote]

Nope, doesn't have any

[quote name='Professor Oreo']"Picture" Turn it up
"Brightness" Turn it up, but not as high as "Picture"
"Contrast" Turn it down
"Sharpness" Turn it down

On most TV's "Picture" sets how bright the white level is on screen, and "Brightness" sets how bright the shadows are on screen. Adjusting the "Contrast" pushes the the white level and the shadows to the extremes, making everything either too bright or too dark. So you may just have your Contrast set too high... or you really could have a defective TV. [/quote]

I did what you said and it made it a little better, but not the best, still gets too dark at some point to see whats going on

[quote name='fugazi_chichimon']Doesn't the tv have a "game" mode? Most TVs come with like a NIGHT, REGULAR, and GAME mode. If it does switch to GAME...[/quote]

My roomates TV has a game setting, mine doesn't though. And if I switch it to the other settings the TV has, it makes it worse.

[quote name='sisco1986']Does your TV have auto color? Games always are a tad darker on my tv, but auto color counters that. Also, have you tried boosting the in game brightness?[/quote]

Nope, my TV doesn't have auto color. And most games that I own, don't have an in game brightness.

[quote name='Kain Vincent']It might be your PS2's a/v cables.[/quote]

PS2 has a good quality on my roommate's TV, but not on mine.

Well thanks to everyone that helped, I had no clue what I should do with the stupid thing. Hopefully its just the TV I got and not the model. In the end, I'm preparing myself with a showdown with the people at Best Buy anyways, cause I know they will refuse to do one thing or other. Thanks again :D

Hey just a shot in the dark but I had a sharp that I had this problem with. One day i was messing around in the menu and came across an energy saver setting. i turned it off and the screen was bright. See if there is a similar menu item in your tv

From one Ed to another, I suggest you just take it back, it's not going to correct itstelf, and generally these TV devices tend to just get worse with age.

bread's done
Back