Help me choose a new laptop

Cangriman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Hi guys! Well I kinda need help with this, I'm not an entire noob, I think I know what I look for when searching for a laptop, but I prefer help from vets.

Main Purpose:
1) Surfing Internet
2) Photoshop
3) Editing Videos (most important)
4) Maybe PC games (only interested in Witcher 2)

Ok, so I already have a laptop (I'm typing with it), and its don't dying, I just want to upgrade. I promised to give this one to my mom, my real problem with this laptop is that it doesn't handle HD really well. So if I'm editing my videos it takes well too long, I did upgrade my RAMs from 1GB to 4GB, and the laptop now runs really fast, the performance is really good, but editing is still the same so I'm guessing is not just about RAMs.

I'm looking for a specific processor, it have to be either i5 or i7. My budget is really between $700-800, I have a bit more but you know warranty and taxes. I'm in the let's play cool business, so lately I use my laptop to do editing, so that is the main purpose of this new laptop. I prefer if this laptop I can upgrade it in the future, like have expandable RAMs, I can upgrade the graphic card, and so on. If I can get a Quad-Core that will be nice as well, don't know with that prince range.

I heard April, August, and September are the best time to buy computers, and laptops. I'm guessing April is because that is where new models comes out and older models are cheaper, and August pretty much the come back to school, and September is well near Christmas.

I was looking into this one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...lack/1697111.p?id=1218281188971&skuId=1697111

Anyway, I will appreciate the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just check out www.xoticpc.com/ . They have really helpful customer service that located in the UNITED STATES! :D Also, of course, they definitely have some offerings that should be right up your alley,especially if you need to upgrade anything.

A) Buy a back-brace and put it on

B) Bend your legs

C) Grasp laptop with both hands

D) Stand up.

I hope this helps you to pick up your new laptop. Please be safe.

OK so I kinda wrongly wrote the title, but no reason to post something that is completely irrelevant to the topic.

I'm looking at that site.

Please I really need some advise in here.

The NP5160 may be the lowest cost one at that site for what you want. I added a Blu and Windows on the customize screen and it ends up a little over $910.
I have bought from there under the cash discounted price and had no problem getting my laptop.
edit: That Dell you have mentioned has Intel HD graphics. It might not have the horsepower to handle "Witcher 2" properly since it's a new game right? The one thing you're missing is the comp. I listed doesn't have as big a HDD or as much RAM. That being said, it likely still has more power then the Dell overall.
If you want, apparently you can upgrade it to a i7 for $30 more as well.

Lol! I did it again. I need advise but it wasn't for that site, Sarang01, but for people to come and help me.

Now I did check it and build something to my like, but I'm not pro at this.

I don't need a Blu because I already have a blu-player and a PS3. But I did chose the second i7 which add + 30, 6BG + 45, 500GB 7200RPM, and the Windows 7 + 90. And the total was 925.38 which is a little higher than my initial budget but it isn't that bad. Now I always like to have a full factory restore disk, don't know if that is included, and I left the rest at default but don't know if there is something important in there that I need.

But thanks for that site.

[quote name='Cangriman']Lol! I did it again. I need advise but it wasn't for that site, Sarang01, but for people to come and help me.

Now I did check it and build something to my like, but I'm not pro at this.

I don't need a Blu because I already have a blu-player and a PS3. But I did chose the second i7 which add + 30, 6BG + 45, 500GB 7200RPM, and the Windows 7 + 90. And the total was 925.38 which is a little higher than my initial budget but it isn't that bad. Now I always like to have a full factory restore disk, don't know if that is included, and I left the rest at default but don't know if there is something important in there that I need.

But thanks for that site.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure on that option for Windows 7. Also keep in mind if you buy the warranty, later down the road you can send it back in and upgrade the chip without it being voided.

Check them on the chat icon. They're very attentive and will answer all of your questions no problem. Like I said, the Inspiron has on board graphics from Intel and it may not cut the mustard as much as you would like for "The Witcher 2".

[quote name='Sarang01']I'm not sure on that option for Windows 7. Also keep in mind if you buy the warranty, later down the road you can send it back in and upgrade the chip without it being voided.

Check them on the chat icon. They're very attentive and will answer all of your questions no problem. Like I said, the Inspiron has on board graphics from Intel and it may not cut the mustard as much as you would like for "The Witcher 2".[/QUOTE]

Oh so I can't get another graphic card, that is bad. Since you're really the only one helping out, can you just give me that's not from that site, (I don't have anything against it) but what laptop you will buy if you have that price range of $700-800.

Honestly I would buy from that site but I'm really core on it since it's customer service is in the United States.
That being said they list some ASUS that have a different card, see non-nVidia if you're interested: http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gamin...®-mobile-core-core-laptops-ct-95_51_283.html

Here's the thing. I browsed a bit at Best Buy on an HP as well comparatively and I think I might have looked higher in price. Here's what you get that you're missing in those laptops listed by Best Buy, dedicated graphics cards. Those on board graphics chipsets or whatever by Intel, "The Witcher 2" will eat them alive.
Seriously talk to the people at xotic at least once or call them. If you specifically address your needs they will be fucking fantastic.
Well I talked to them at Xotic. The ASUS and MSI's aren't upgradeable for the graphics card, only the Sager.
The Sager's you want, lowest price point for upgrading are the 8130 and 8150. They also include a restore disc for Windows as well. You can upgrade everything on them pretty much. Like I said before, if you buy a warranty even the chip.
It's above your price point so you may have to wait. All Dell and others will do is likely charge you more I suspect.
I think you'll be happier with the Sager. If you don't want to buy from Xotic you can go to Sager's website: www.sagerpc.com/ or just look around to buy one.
I have a Sager myself and mine was much more expensive but it included a desktop chip instead.
edit: You can upgrade the 8130 but you might as well get the 8150 instead since in order to upgrade it you need to buy a more powerful power brick costing about or more then the difference between the two. $95.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ASUS N53JQ is the only right answer. I know that it's $200 over your price range, but Amazon has dropped the price of this laptop down to $900 before plus you have no sales tax which will save you around $50. If it drops down to $900 again I would recommend you bite on that deal. It has everything you need and more. 2 year regular warranty and 1 year accidental warranty.

I just bought this Asus from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/N61JV-X4-16-I...1TO0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302048448&sr=8-1

Core i5
4GB RAM
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

The graphics card is decent, and one of the best you'll find for the price. The first user review on the page mentions running Starcraft 2 well on high settings, so it should be able to handle The Witcher 2.

Also, Asus has one of the best warranties. It includes 2 years, with accidental coverage for the first year. According to Squaretrade, they also have the highest reliability of any of the major brands: http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/laptop-reliability-1109/

Actually I posted the wrong laptop. The laptop I was actually talking about is this one. This one is actually $900. The best deal for a powerful laptop I've seen.

@ Sarang01- Thanks again for the help. I still have to wait until late April, so I will definitely check my options by then.

@ Brownjohn - I did check that laptop, was interested in it, until I saw another one that likely is my final decision.

@ Gatorteen- Man you hit it on the spot. Actually I already have my eye on that one, there is someone that is helping me out, and we both kinda agree that that was the best choice for now.

He told me from a list that we have that that one is the better of the bunch because it is a second gen of the Intel i7 which has the Sand Bridge CPU and dedicated graphics.

Also, they release the spec sheet for The Witcher 2 and we are good to go.

Mininum System Requirements:
• OS: WindowsXP SP2 / Windows Vista SP2 / Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
• Memory: 1 GB Windows XP / 2 GB Windows Vista and Windows 7
• Video Card: 512 MB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD3850)

Recommended System Requirements:
• OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista SP2 / Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
• Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom X4
• Memory: 3 GB Windows XP / 4 GB Windows Vista and Windows 7
• Video Card: 1 GB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GeForce GTX260 or ATI Radeon HD4850)

Additionally:
• Sound Card: compatible with DirectX 9.0c
• HDD: 16 GB of disc space
• Disc Drive: DVD x8, compatible with DVD9
• Instalation requires administrator access.
• Game supports Xbox 360 controller for Windows.

bread's done
Back