Help me choose--Used Nissan 350z or Honda Civic Si

strayfoxx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm aware CAG is often glutted with these threads. However, I'm consistently impressed with this community's collective knowledge of automobiles. And since this is a major investment which will last me around 5-6 years I figured I'd come here for your insights.

I have a budget around 13-14k and I've narrowed down my decisions to a used Civic Si (or newer) or a used Nissan 350z. 13-14k will get me a 2006-2008 Civic Si with 40-60k miles or a 2003-2005 Nissan 350z with 40-60k miles.I'm moving on from my Honda Del Sol Si, and am somewhat partial to the Civic, however, I've always wanted a 350z since they've been released.

I'm aware the 350z will have a higher insurance premium, and lower MPG. What I'm concerned about is reliability. I've had success with Honda's and Toyotas. My Del Sol is still running, and my family's old Tercel had 300k where the engine outlasted the frame. I know if I got a Civic it'd probably reach 150k miles if not 200k. However, although I'm vaguely aware of Nissan's reliability, I haven't heard anyone expound upon it in-depth. I've heard some say that whereas Honda is consistently reliable across all models (Civic, Accord, CR-V, etc) that Nissan's reliability varies by model.

I'd be willing to take any and all advice. Thanks in advance CAG, you've always been helpful.

What's more important - the looks or paying more over the life of the car for gas and insurance?

I have a Nissan Altima, 1993, over 180k miles and it has needed very minimal repairs. So mine has been great, and my friend who has a Nissan has also had very good luck with it. With any auto there are always going to be some lemons, no matter how reliable they are overall.

BUT... Hondas are stolen much more often. ;) Honda Accord is #1 most stolen, Honda Civic is #2. Not a Nissan in the top 10, for whatever that's worth. :)

I'd just be worried about the previous owner abusing the car. I've thought about going "old and fast" and it's just not practical IMO. Too many problems. The only way around it is buying something used that hasn't been run that long I suppose which would be more expensive.

[quote name='DPsx7']What's more important - the looks or paying more over the life of the car for gas and insurance?[/QUOTE]

You're also forgetting about the performance difference, but I yeah, I would also worry about the Z being abused so make sure you give it a thorough shakedown.

Performance is important but also consider if you're ever gonna have more than 2 people in your car. I'm partial to the Si but that's cause I had an 06. The Z is a great car also so you cant go wrong with either :)

Uhhhhhhhhh..... why? Because you lose an insane amount on a new car the min. you drive it off the lot vs a perfectly good "cheaper" "used" car.

So what about performance? It's just a method of travel and both will do the same job. I don't know why you would intentionally spend a lot more.

I'm happy with my Civic. Last year my old car got to a point where it wasn't worth fixing and I found a used one of these at a great price. I don't think it's worth buying new because you can find great deals on slightly used cars and you're just as likely to have something break.

is it just the base 350z? if so, go for the si. and go for the 4 door si if you can, much more practical in the long run, and still looks decent.

I'd go with the Z simply because it's a motherfuckin Z!

Anyway, I'm going to agree with imacjenn and malik. Nissan's tend to be solid cars. My dad has an Altima (2003, i think) and hasn't had any problems with it, though he does keep his cars in very good shape anyway. At the same time though, Honda engines are known to last... well.. forever. So they both tend to be pretty reliable. However, like imac said, Hondas do tend to be stolen at a much high rate Nissans. The parts are more valuable, since Hondas are a popular tuner make, so there is always a demand for them. Nissans, much less so. Also, like Malik said, the Civic is more likely to end up in the hands of someone who would abuse it, due to price. Most likely, if you cared enough to pony up for a Z, you care enough to keep it in good condition.

[quote name='DPsx7']So what about performance? It's just a method of travel and both will do the same job. I don't know why you would intentionally spend a lot more.

[/QUOTE]

While that may be true for you, the fact that he is looking between a Civic SI and a 350z tells me he's somewhat interested in performance.

I would personally go with the Z. Whenever I see a Civic SI, I just chuckle to myself knowing that the driver thinks he (more likely a she-he) is hella bad ass with his FWD "sports car". Lulz!

(this is assuming performance is one of your higher priorities).

The Z is one sexy beast ;)
You probably won't go wrong with the Z or the Civic. What you should be most concerned with is the condition of the used cars. That's probably the most important thing.

Have you driven a 350z before? I backed a friends 350z out of a driveway by prayer. I get in the car and i'm like alright let me just use these mirrors to see where i'm going.. oh wait i can't see shit with these mirrors... well let me look over my shoulder out the back window.. oh its only impossible to see out of... let me just pray as i blindly back up.

I really wanted a 350z until that incident. I like the look and power of the 350z and 370z but i can't see myself driving a car that has blindspot issues as bad as they do.

[quote name='Cracka']Have you driven a 350z before? I backed a friends 350z out of a driveway by prayer. I get in the car and i'm like alright let me just use these mirrors to see where i'm going.. oh wait i can't see shit with these mirrors... well let me look over my shoulder out the back window.. oh its only impossible to see out of... let me just pray as i blindly back up.

I really wanted a 350z until that incident. I like the look and power of the 350z and 370z but i can't see myself driving a car that has blindspot issues as bad as they do.[/QUOTE]

L2Drive.

[quote name='2DMention']I got a '09 Focus with 8k miles for 12k. Much better gas mileage.[/QUOTE]

So did my grandma!

On topic: Honestly I would go with the Civic, I had a 350z a couple years back, I bought it used, it was an 04 and had around 50k miles on it I believe? I know this isn't like this for every single Nissan, but I had problems from the very start with it.

Also the blind spots like the other poster mentioned are as bad as he stated, so if you aren't a great driver, I would stay away from the Z. I don't know much about Civic's, but my next door neighbor has over 200k miles on his and it still seems to run.

[quote name='VipFREAK']09 Focus? How is that not embarrassing even to mention in public? lol[/QUOTE]

Off topic but...

...the 2010 Focus RS are fucking badass looking, imo. Ford, if your reading this, start selling them in the freaking US already...

He didn't specify which one so I assumed... but yeah, if you're in Euro sure they are.

They always have to fuck up good cars before they bring them over here though... :roll:

bread's done
Back