Help me get through the red tape that is connecting to XBL at school

Jimbo Slice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
When I try to connect to XBL here at my apartment at school using the Ethernet port that is built into the wall, I am unable to connect and fail the MTU test every time. Here is what it says:

MTU Test Status: the connection to the Xbox Diagnostic Server timed out. Please retry this test. If it continues to time out, verify your MTU settings. if your console still does not pass this test, contact your ISP.

This test confirms that your network has a sufficient Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU). MTU is a setting on your router or gateway that can affect network performance. Xbox Live requires a minimum MTU setting of 1364. If your console does not pass this test, you will not be able to sign in to Xbox Live. See your router or gateway instruction manual for information about changing the MTU setting.

Here are the status codes it gives me:

W: 0000-000B
X: 0000-F001
Y: 0000-0000
Z: 0000-0000

Not having XBL up here makes it hella boring, and I wanna play Puzzle Fighter so someone please help!

Try connecting through your PC, maybe? Then it might detect your connection as going through your PC, not the Xbox.

I dunno if that would help, though.

It's quite possible you're completely screwed.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Try connecting through your PC, maybe? Then it might detect your connection as going through your PC, not the Xbox.

I dunno if that would help, though.[/QUOTE]

?

How is that done?

i would either get a modem, looking online they seem to be able to fix the problem with that or contact your school's tech support and ask them for advice.

W: 0000-000B This one has something to do with DNS, probably an error that it can't get one.
X: 0000-F001 This probably means your ports are blocked

These two together mean it can't get an IP address (I believe Z has to do with DHCP)

Your school is possibly packet filtering. There's not much you can do except maybe put the 360 behind a router to fake out the filter.

When you say apartment is it actually a dorm, or just off campus housing provided by Residential Life? Like most people are saying, a majority of universities are instating such things (It took 2 years at buddies school to open up the ports so the majority of campus could play WoW).

The router thing may work, but if you're being shaped theres not much you can do except put in a request to IT to see if they can unblock or give that type of traffic after hours priority--The whole reason you're being shaped is because more than likely at some point and time so many people were breaking the TOS with p2p junk that people in the Library couldn't pull up a website in a timely manner . Whats the policy on bringing your own access--- can you get a cable modem/service from outside the school?

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i would either get a modem, looking online they seem to be able to fix the problem with that or contact your school's tech support and ask them for advice.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I'll look into it. I don't know that that would fix the problem but it may help. I think a part of the problem comes from the fact that in order to connect a PC to the school's internet, you need to download 3 programs, which I obviously can't do on the 360.

[quote name='Damian']W: 0000-000B This one has something to do with DNS, probably an error that it can't get one.
X: 0000-F001 This probably means your ports are blocked

These two together mean it can't get an IP address (I believe Z has to do with DHCP)

Your school is possibly packet filtering. There's not much you can do except maybe put the 360 behind a router to fake out the filter.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I went through the IP test already, but I'll check putting my 360 behind a wired router (although a sign on the door to the apartment offices says that routers are prohibited and will get you kicked off the network).

[quote name='KwanzaaTimmy']When you say apartment is it actually a dorm, or just off campus housing provided by Residential Life? Like most people are saying, a majority of universities are instating such things (It took 2 years at buddies school to open up the ports so the majority of campus could play WoW).

The router thing may work, but if you're being shaped theres not much you can do except put in a request to IT to see if they can unblock or give that type of traffic after hours priority--The whole reason you're being shaped is because more than likely at some point and time so many people were breaking the TOS with p2p junk that people in the Library couldn't pull up a website in a timely manner . Whats the policy on bringing your own access--- can you get a cable modem/service from outside the school?[/QUOTE]

It's an apartment, provided by a seperate housing company that I assume gives my university (Lock Haven) a certain amount of money to provide the housing.

I'll look into getting my own ISP, but only if NOTHING else works. I really don't wanna pay for somethign that (IMO) I shouldn't have to. I'm 99% sure that no one in the office knows anything that will be able to help my problem though, because one of my roommates was a maintenance man over the summer (they also used him for computers, and he doesn't know how to fix this) and another is a CA, and neither of them would be able to help me. I'll still try though. This really sucks :cry:.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Hmm, I'll look into it. I don't know that that would fix the problem but it may help. I think a part of the problem comes from the fact that in order to connect a PC to the school's internet, you need to download 3 programs, which I obviously can't do on the 360.[/QUOTE]
Find out what those programs do, or list them here if you want help.

That's definitely the first step in solving this problem, if it can be solved at all.

If you have a desktop computer, consider installing a second ethernet port (they are $10-15).

Then, bridge your PC and 360 connections (or Windows Internet Connection Sharing...esentially the same thing).

That helped when I lived in the dorms, and I was getting errors. It goes through your computer, so it can usually go undected. Just don't browse the web while playing, as that can sometimes cause some lag.

EDIT: A router may also work, but they can detect them. Our school was the same way, so I didn't try using one.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Hmm, I'll look into it. I don't know that that would fix the problem but it may help. I think a part of the problem comes from the fact that in order to connect a PC to the school's internet, you need to download 3 programs, which I obviously can't do on the 360.
I'm pretty sure I went through the IP test already, but I'll check putting my 360 behind a wired router (although a sign on the door to the apartment offices says that routers are prohibited and will get you kicked off the network).
[/quote]
I wouldn't bother. Based on those two statement you're not going to get on. It sounds like they have the network locked down for whitelisted access only. Not sure what those three apps are but they may even have you VPNing.

[quote name='Rig']If you have a desktop computer, consider installing a second ethernet port (they are $10-15).

Then, bridge your PC and 360 connections (also Windows Internet Connection Sharing).

That helped when I lived in the dorms, and I was getting errors. It goes through your computer, so it can usually go undected. Just don't browse the web while playing, as that can sometimes cause some lag.[/QUOTE]

My computer is a laptop, but would I be able to do a USB ethernet port or something? That sounds like a good way to take care of the problem.

[quote name='jimfoley16']My computer is a laptop, but would I be able to do a USB ethernet port or something? That sounds like a good way to take care of the problem.[/quote]

Laptops can do the job too, but I have never tried any USB type port.

When running with a laptop, I always plugged the 360 into the Ethernet port on the laptop, and then bridged wireless Internet. But since you don't have wireless, I'd say give the USB port a try.

I hate to say it, but you're most likely screwed. My school did the exact same thing, and we tried every way possible to get around it. Short of becoming buddies with the I.T. guys and asking them to open your ports, there's nothing you can do.

Those three apps make it sound like nothing much will work.

I recommend not spending too much on that USB adapter.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Those three apps make it sound like nothing much will work.

I recommend not spending too much on that USB adapter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they're Cisco Clean System, and 2 McCaffee programs. I figure if ANYTHING has a chance though, it's that (the USB adaptor).

Can anyone point me to an online retailer where I'd be able to pick up something that might work?

[quote name='jimfoley16']Yeah they're Cisco Clean System, and 2 McCaffee programs. I figure if ANYTHING has a chance though, it's that (the USB adaptor).

Can anyone point me to an online retailer where I'd be able to pick up something that might work?[/quote]

Those sound like virus protection that I'm sure your entire school network must install to gain Internet access. We also had the same deal.

Still, I wouldn't want you to buy something and it not work. Any chance you know somebody you could borrow one from?

Maybe your school has a computer store that sells parts at a discount? You could look there.

i had the same problem, i just set the mtu dns ipaddress etc to what was assigned on my computer so when the xbox was connected the network detected it as my computer. but you have to disconnect the other when using one. i think the reason why the xbox could not connect on my campus was because any machines connecting to the internet had to be registered through this network program called resnet. you obviously can't register an xbox on there, so that was my solution.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Yeah they're Cisco Clean System[/QUOTE]
That's the key bit of information. That's the client for a Cisco NAC appliance. It controls access to network resources. Kind of like Active Directory for an entire untrusted heterogeneous network (but better, the client isn't mandatory). They could very easily allow you to register network devices and allow them access (the manual gives you specific instructions on what to configure for XB/GC/PS2, among other things). You might want to contact whatever Help Desk you have and ask them. All they need is the MAC address of the console so they can assign it an appropriate role. If they won't, you have very few options. There used to be some tricks - there was an app that spoofed any OS and AV - but Cisco is good at security patches. If they allow desktop PCs access to the XBL ports you could run a SOCKS proxy on your local machine and try that.

I wouldn't recommend you buy anything though. The odds of you beating the NAC are slim.

have you tried contacting the isp at the school? at UCSD, i had to talk to the on campus it guys and they opened up a port for my 360 so that i was allowed through on the network. It took them a while, but it was one of the things they advertised. what is your school's website? they might have info about that on there

EDIT: got the pages
walkthrough for xbox and ps2, probabaly easily adapted to 360: (basically, find your mac address)
http://www.lhup.edu/cca/game-console/consoles.htm

Register it here:
http://www.lhup.edu/cca/game-console/game-console-registration.htm

and you should be good

at least yours is automated! mine took 3 weeks!

[quote name='xmrblondex']have you tried contacting the isp at the school? at UCSD, i had to talk to the on campus it guys and they opened up a port for my 360 so that i was allowed through on the network. It took them a while, but it was one of the things they advertised. what is your school's website? they might have info about that on there

walkthrough for xbox and ps2, probabaly easily adapted to 360: (basically, find your mac address)

Register it here:

and you should be good

at least yours is automated! mine took 3 weeks![/QUOTE]

... I can't believe OP didn't find that on his own. :applause:

[quote name='xmrblondex']have you tried contacting the isp at the school? at UCSD, i had to talk to the on campus it guys and they opened up a port for my 360 so that i was allowed through on the network. It took them a while, but it was one of the things they advertised. what is your school's website? they might have info about that on there

Register it here:

and you should be good

at least yours is automated! mine took 3 weeks![/QUOTE]

Good looking out, man. My school's set-up is so old that I figured they wouldn't have anything like that. Will look into it tomorrow.

I'll post up and let everyone know how it goes.

You can bridge through a USB-Ethernet adapter, but I'm uncertain if that would help you.

Just wanted to let you know, it is possible.

Back on Live!

Registering my console worked - I'm shocked.

xmrblondex - I love this guy! Particularly because he's an Arenas fan - I just picked up the McFarlane the other day.

bread's done
Back