help me pick a furry friend :-D! (a pet!) (a non-sex topic!)

greydemise

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
hey everyone! im looking for a pet, ive had fish and iguanas in the past (i found them really boring :whistle2:\ ..esp fish)
i was thinking along the lines of a rodent friend

my dad told me to start with a hamster since they're cheap and easy to take care of..but i'd like an animal that actually bonds with you and doesnt run away at the sight of you(?)

well..i was looking at the following animals, and wondering if anyone could share their experience and stories about current or former pets and help me decided
-ps..my mom hates all animals..and i quote "i dont even think animals belong in the same places as people!"

1) Hamster are annoying...they stink and mine was loud, always chewing on the cage
2) Rabbit - These are a LOT of work also. You need a NICE cage and you may have to keep them outside. Once again, they smell. If you get a cage and keep outside, you will need lots of hay and other things.
3) Isn't this just a BIG hamster ;)
4) Ferret really stink from what I know. I guess these are a LOT of work

5) Why not a CAT? You can bond to them and they are easy to take care of. They shit in a box and you just have to clean litter and feed them. They may cost more and more of a commitment, but they seem easier to take care of.

fucK ferrets, they suck, I was bitten by one as a kid and I think they blow. Also dont plan on moving to Cali with them, they are illegal there. Why not a Sugar Glider, I hear they are very effectionate and sociable

hmm thanks very much for the input, it seriously helps to hear the pros and cons of the animals :)..i ask around and i just hear stellar reviews for every single animal i mention :p ..thanks for the help!
a kitty you say? interesting..ive never really been much of a cat person (cats tend to attack me hehe)
but...i dont know..easy to take care of and bonding, i like that
thanks again!

[quote name='doubledown']5) Why not a CAT? You can bond to them and they are easy to take care of. They shit in a box and you just have to clean litter and feed them. They may cost more and more of a commitment, but they seem easier to take care of.[/quote]

Cats are pissy and prissy little bitches. If they don't get they're way, they get pissed.

I'll be a dog person till the day I die...

Kittens are the best pets, period. Once they become cats, though ... well they're boring. And not much for bonding. They'll pretty much treat you like a walking can opener. Or if you're really lucky, a scratching post. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Kittens are the best pets, period. Once they become cats, though ... well they're boring. And not much for bonding. They'll pretty much treat you like a walking can opener. Or if you're really lucky, a scratching post. :lol:[/QUOTE]

so you like young pussies.....the jokes they are too easy

Ferrets smell awful! Just a warning. You may not be able to smell since you're around them, but everyone else will smell it on you.

Get a cat! They're low maintenance, affectionate, clean, fun to play with, and you don't have to walk it or listen to it bark all the time.

Plus, Cat + Laser Pointer = better than any video game ever made, with more replay value.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Kittens are the best pets, period. Once they become cats, though ... well they're boring. And not much for bonding. They'll pretty much treat you like a walking can opener.[/quote]
BINGO!

Why? Because cats are pretty much self sustaining in every other area

[quote name='doubledown']Well, dogs need you to walk them, bathe them, clean their shit.....cats just want food.[/quote]

And if they don't get it when they want it, they will claw the shit out of things and/or piss on stuff...

Go with a small dog. Not too much work, especially if you get it house broken fast. And walking, well a walk around the block is probably all it would take.

Ferrets are really cool pets, the are kinda mix between a cat and a dog, but yes they do smell and they are harder to take care of then most rodents and probably even a cat since you have to be around to take them out of their cages for an hour or so a day.

A great rodent starter pet is a rat. They are really smart and clean animals that will recognize you, can be trained and really do bond with you. They live for about 5 years and are very easy to take care of. I wouldn suggest getting females though because males have huge balls that are a little nasty.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Kittens are the best pets, period. Once they become cats, though ... well they're boring. And not much for bonding. They'll pretty much treat you like a walking can opener. Or if you're really lucky, a scratching post. :lol:[/quote]
I have no idea what you're talking aboot. My cat is 6 and he still has the mentality of a kitten. He runs around, catches feathers, chases lights and sleeps. But DO NOT let them go outside. Because once you do, they'll want to always go out. And meow all day. But that's just my cat. Get a black and white one and name him Oakley. Update us on your ststus soon!

Ferrets can make for great affecionate pets, but you'd be looking at a lot of work.

While most people think they smell (they are related to skunks after all), the biggest minus that you'd have with a ferret would be behaviour. They are incredibly curious animals, and WILL get into everything available. You can train them not to, but you're still looking at locks on cabinets, making sure all cords are tied up, and that piles of clothes aren't left out for long periods of time. Ex: Came home from work one night, and looked over at the couch only to see a ghost ferret. Went into the kitchen, and sure enough, he'd somehow managed to scale the counter and pop open the flour tin. He was trained, but since I'd worked extra long that day, his curiosity got the better of him.

They're also very social, and you'd need to spend lots of time with them.

My suggestion would be a cat from a shelter. Easier to care for, and more loving than most ferrets if you spend enough time with them. Kitten or adult, they show real care for you. I've taken in two strays, and it's great. For street cats, they've really softened up, and both still act as if they're six months old.

thanks very much everyone! upon researching sugar gliders, i think they're really interesting, but i cant find any place to adopt (rather save an animal and give it a home..plus its vaccinated and FREE :whistle2:D!) or buy em, rats i am seriously contemplating, my house is pretty small so i doubt id have room for a doggy :(..my mom hates all animals big and small..and im not sure if im still allergic to cats or not,
im not a big cat person like i said earlier, but , i wouldnt mind having a playful little friend around...
but so far my list is , in no order

1)ferret
2)hamster
3) sugar glider
4)rat
5) cat (maybe :) )

I've had a rabbit and they are cute, but need lots of attention.

I have a cat and dog now. Cats are useless but dogs can be cool.

Why hasn't anybody mentioned a parakeet or cockateil?

All you have to do is feed them and clean the cage a few times a week. Ther're Clean, low maintenance, don't smell, not too expensive to buy or keep (parakeets are like $20), you can breed them, they live for a long time, tame, very social, cockateils can talk, their shit doesn't smell, etc. It's in a cage so it couldn't bother his mom too much. I think some type of bird would be the ideal pet for OP. Parekeets are easier to keep than cockateils, but cockateils are more interactive. Wait for your own place to get a kitty.

Ive had em all so heres my two cents

1) hamster
They smell, most rodentia have a stink to them and do not really bond with their owners. They also are usually night creatures and sleep during the day. Gerbils are very similiar. Cute, but not the most affectionate of animals.

2) rabbit (maybe)
they have to be kept outside in a hutch but also need room to run. again, these smell and need alot of upkeep.

3) guinea pig
I have had two. pluses: they recognize people, are affectionate (if you spend time with them) and are fairly intellegent. they can be taught to go back to their cages if you let them run around the house. minuses: alot of upkeep. they have to have hay and chewing blocks and make your house smell like a barnyard.

4) ferret (i really like this one)
ferrets are smart, friendly (with their owners), and really cute. They also stink, get into as much trouble as possible and it takes alot of patience to train them to do anything.

5) cats
From my cat experience, they are affectionate, sweet animals. All of mine followed me around like a puppy and loved to be petted. when they have had enough though... they can be finicky. alot of people are allergic to cats though.

6) dogs
They make the best pets I think. the extra upkeep is worth it. very affectionate, protective, easily trained (depending on the breed). Retrievers are sturdy dogs that have a great temperment but shed alot. If you are looking for a really nice companion animal, I would go with a dog. just look into the breeds first before you choose one. some need alot of space and room to run, others not so much. surprisingly, greyhounds make the best pet for the apartment dweller. They only need a small amount of excerise and the rest of the time they lay around and just hang out with you.

actually a bird is a very good idea...
I had a canary and he was a great pet, lived a long time too. wasnt affectionate at all (was very aggressive and would flare his wings out and try to attack you when you went to feed him) but that was part of the charm too. He was a demon possessed little thing but fun.

Even though you didn't list it, I'd suggest a small dog. I've always had yorkies. (Yorkshire Terriers) They're very small, around 4 pounds, they don't shed at all, and with a dog, you're their best friend. Any extra care you have to put in a dog is extremely worth it when they follow you like a side kick, heh.

I've had cats, hampsters, guinea pigs, and birds. None of them really bond. Especially the rodents, they're way to nervous, plus they smell.
Also, if you want a bird, prepare to clean seed and shit that they're going to kick out of the cage.

Rats are very intelligent (many studies rank them at the level of dogs). They bond with people (some they like better than others), and they will run over to the side of the cage when they see you and try to get your attention. They can learn their names and various tricks. They also don't run away and will sit on the arm of a chair or a couch without running off (like a mouse would), though they probably will start exploring the area, they'll keep returning to you. They will also interact with you and try to get you to pat them and such, instead of simply walking on you like many other small animals. They aren't entirely nocturnal, and while they will be more active at night, they will also be active at other times of the day. They don't sleep in one large block like humans do.

A well taken care of rat lives about 3.5-4.5 years, 5 is pushing it and 3 isn't odd, though I haven't had one die that early barring a medical condition (I've had 10). Females are very prone to mammary tumors and spaying them can significantly reduce this.

They don't bite either, unlike hamsters. The only time they'd bite is if they're scared (been abused, rarely handled etc.) or they may nip if they think you're giving them food and it's only your finger (avoid this by making them see your hand first, instead of just immediately throwing in food). They also don't really smell, assuming they're cleaned properly (1.5-2 times a week).

Rats are extremely social and you really need 2 or more rats, not just one. Every single rat group (rmca.org is the largest) repeatedly state that and they really do much better in groups. You also should spend 30 minutes to an hour with them every day.

A 30 gallon tank is the bare minimum for 2 rats, and really is too small. They need a relatively large cage, preferably one with multiple levels.

As with all small animals, do not buy cedar shavings or any other aromatic wood shavings or scented litter. They wreck their delicate respiratory systems and greatly increase respiratory issues and also increase the rate of tumors. Buying cedar shaving will likely reduce the life expectancy of your pet, reduce the health of the pet, and increase your vet bills. Buy something like yesterdays news. It's a cat litter (but it looks like green pellets) and I pay 12 bucks for 30 pounds.

There's also a very cheap insurance policy available from vpi pet insurance for small animals. I pay $8 a month for my rats and it saves a lot of money. Basically, if an issue arises, you pay a $50 deductable and then 10% of the total bill, they pay the rest. Considering a tumor removal by a qualified vet can run 250-500, and the odds of any animal needing veterinary attention at at least one point is extremely high, it's well worth it.

With rats, or any small animal, make sure you go to a vet who is familiar with them. Taking a rat, ferret, rabbit etc. to a vet who is unfamiliar with them (many vets only really know dogs and cats) can be fatal for two reasons. One, they may not understand the symptoms of significant health issues and either tell you the wrong thing or not notice anything at all. Two, if they perform an operation (ie. tumor removal), they may botch it. One major issue with rats is vets not realizing that they need a heater to keep them warm while operating, since their bodies lose heat fast when under anesthesia. Not providing it can kill them.

Here's a more detailed faq on rats: http://www.rmca.org/Resources/rmcafaq.htm

While most people think they smell (they are related to skunks after all), the biggest minus that you'd have with a ferret would be behaviour. They are incredibly curious animals, and WILL get into everything available. You can train them not to, but you're still looking at locks on cabinets, making sure all cords are tied up, and that piles of clothes aren't left out for long periods of time. Ex: Came home from work one night, and looked over at the couch only to see a ghost ferret. Went into the kitchen, and sure enough, he'd somehow managed to scale the counter and pop open the flour tin. He was trained, but since I'd worked extra long that day, his curiosity got the better of him.

I had one once and had to child proof my house. Child proof locks, plugs, everything. I also had to check the check when I sat down, out of fear of crushing it.

It also never learned not to bite (3 years old when I got it and I didn't really know how to train it). It would just run out from nowhere and try to tackle my feet, which would hurt.

Cats are cute as kittens but that doesn't last very long.

Cats are only good at chasing mice and moths and sitting on your lap

everything else, they tend to piss and shit where ever they want if you don't train them properly, scratch your shit up, get stuck up a tree , and meow all night. :(

Not as bad as a dog's barking, but enough for you to go nuts.

I had sugar gliders... they dont bond if you dont spend 3-4 hours a day with them. If you work a full time job forget about it.

Mine were 2 years old and all they did was make crab noises at me and I played with them every fucking day.

I have a white German Shepherd as a pet (his name is Kent, and I love him). White isn't rare, it's just not as common as black or black-tan. There are breeders that do only white. He is a VERY sweet dog. We used to have some problems with him in his early days, but now that his first birthday is but 5 days away (we have a big surprise for him!) he has matured and is loyal and calm, but ALWAYS has enough energy for play time. He needs to be outside and run around for at least an hour a day. He cries when he doesn't get to be next to me. If you don't have time for a pet like this, don't get one. It will only be a burden for you and for him/her. Greatly reccomended for protection, socializing, and all-around fun. This dog can do anything.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']And if they don't get it when they want it, they will claw the shit out of things and/or piss on stuff...[/QUOTE]

This is why you get them declawed and spayed.

[quote name='onetrackmind']My vote goes to a dog from the pound... they are the coolest pet on the planet.

cheap plug... my two pound pups.

[/quote]
Word. My dog Hank we got from a Lab rescue program, and he's been the best dog ever. We're convinced he saved my father from dying in a car wreck (The SUV went off the highway, rolled a few times and landed upside-down on the road; the dog got out and led people to where the car was), we wouldn't trade him for anything.

[quote name='Full_Throttle']I have a white German Shepherd as a pet (his name is Kent, and I love him). White isn't rare, it's just not as common as black or black-tan. There are breeders that do only white. He is a VERY sweet dog. We used to have some problems with him in his early days, but now that his first birthday is but 5 days away (we have a big surprise for him!) he has matured and is loyal and calm, but ALWAYS has enough energy for play time. He needs to be outside and run around for at least an hour a day. He cries when he doesn't get to be next to me. If you don't have time for a pet like this, don't get one. It will only be a burden for you and for him/her. Greatly reccomended for protection, socializing, and all-around fun. This dog can do anything.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Our 12-week-old German Shepherd is a fucking maniac, but he's getting better. The Shepherd we had before was one hell of a dog, too.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']
A great rodent starter pet is a rat. They are really smart and clean animals that will recognize you, can be trained and really do bond with you. They live for about 5 years and are very easy to take care of. I wouldn suggest getting females though because males have huge balls that are a little nasty.[/QUOTE]

Thirding the rat recommendation. Alonzomourning23 hit all the points I was going to cover, the only other things I can add (and it's mentioned somewhere on the rmca as well) is that females tend to be the more active type, while the males tend to be the snuggly lovers, but obviously that isn't true for all of them. I've had 4 females and 3 males, and the few things I've learned:

- Cages are better than tanks, easier to clean, easier on the rattie breathing, among other great things like multi-leveled, you can hang toys for them in them (My girls loved their hammock and their rat wheel (Worth noting that rat wheels are NOT the same as wire hamster wheels which can break rattie feet, rat wheels are solid bottomed)). If I can suggest a place to get cages, I'd suggest Martins Cages: http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/
I have the R-690, powder coated, and it was incredibly spacious for my 4 girls. It also included the bonus of being able to basically turn it into two cages if you put a large board or large brick in the middle, if for some reason you need to seperate the rats for a reason (like one is sick).

-It might be worth your time to litter train them. It was for me, they had their own litter pan in the corner of the bottom of the cage, and it was so much easier than having to empty out the entire bottom of the cage every few days.

- Find a local breeder or rescue if you can, if their health is an issue to you. Pet stores tend to have 'feeder rats' which can be inbred, held in inproper bedding, overcrowded and overstressed, and unsocialized. Although some can be trained to make great pets and some will still be healthy (My pet shop boys lasted about 3 years), you really take a risk with them. Not to mention some pet shop people can't tell the difference between a boy and a girl and the last thing you need is baby rats when you've never had them before. How the people at the shop can't tell, I have no idea, as the boys tend to have huge testicles, to be frank.

- I found that the boys had less health issues, for me personally. Two of my girls died due to tumors, two died of a strange illness we could only assume was an internal tumour which made them bleed out-- They lasted 2-4 years, and the boys I had lasted 3 and that was before I honestly knew how to take care of rats-- I had them on all the wrong beddings and my vet claimed to know what was wrong (A "vitamin deficiency" and they needed vitamins in their water-- completely wrong, now I realize they had respitory infections.). I've since found two local places that actually know what theyre doing.

I have hamsters (dwarf hamsters, to be precise) as well as cats. My hamsters are quite approachable and affectionate. If you decide to get a hamster, just make sure you get a young one and handle it a lot. You may have to start out with just putting your hand in the cage (not trying to touch the hamster or pick it up) until it gets used to you. Make sure you get a solid-bottomed wheel instead of a wire cage wheel -- I've heard (and seen) too many horror stories about these things. I honestly don't know why they even sell them.

All three of my hamsters "greet" me in the morning when I get up. When they hear me start moving around, they come over to the doors of their cages and want to be picked up. They respond to their names and they love being held (I'm at the point now where I can put my hand in the cage, and they'll hop onto my hand). They're very cool little creatures. Easy to care for, and they generally don't smell if you keep their cage clean. (Weekly cleaning is a must and I highly recommend litter training.)

I also have cats. I've had cats all of my life, and multiple cats for the last 15 years. They're great company and a lot of fun, but they can be a lot of work. I'm not a fan of cleaning litter boxes (Get a Littermaid!), cleaning up hair balls, or having cat hair on my clothes and other possessions. (If you wear a lot of black, do yourself a favor and get a black cat.) Having a warm, purring cat keep your feet warm on a cold winter's night does make up for some of the drawbacks, though.

To tell the truth, you can get any animal you want. As long as you care for it, it will turn out to be nice. Just depends on the way you play with it. With my German Shepherd (first pet), I kinda ignored him when we first got him because I thought we would be sleeping a lot. I was right for the most part. After a couple of months, I thought he might still be in the sleepy puppy stages but I found out that he was actually experiencing seperation anxiety. But now I'm much better with him; I take him out and play soccer every day, and we run around and play hide-and-seek in the back yard, and we have loads of fun. He sleeps a lot again, but this time because he is exhausted from all of the running. He loves his home (the way I know this is because once we had to go away for a weekend, and he stayed with a neighbor. He cried a lot because he wasn't next to his favorite person: me!)

Get any pet in the world, but just make sure he gets an overdose of love.

hey guys :(..thanks for all the help, however, i decided to bring home a little rat friend from the pet store yesterday..err..my mom kinda, flipped the hell out :\ and i decided being yelled at all times for having a rat isnt worth it :(..so..aside from me being upset and having to give the little guy back, i decided to get a german shepard when i move out :)..the rave reviews ive been getting from here (real people) helped me decide alot..and if i cant get the pup when i move...most likely a rat or ferret (as the petco nearby let me play with em and i loved them :D!!)
thanks again for all your help guys!!

I had hamsters as a kid. They didn't stink (you have to clean the cage regularly, twice a week works), and they were affectionate. The nice part too was, if you are busy for a day or 2 (or leave town), as long as they have food and water, they will be fine.

Before going the cat or dog idea, remember these animals live a long time. Where are you going to be in 5 years? Are you really going to want a cat then? If so, great. But, my wife brought home 3 kittens because they were cute, that lasted a few months. Now, she's sick of them and we're stuck with them (she is mature in every way but pets. It seems to run in her family, they get sick of pets and then don't pay attention to them).

If your not sure, go with a hamster. They can be good pets, and they work around you (ok, it won't be your best friend, but you don't have to spend 3 hours a day with it either). Also, if you hate it, it dies in 2-3 years. They aren't too expensive, and as long as you keep the cage lid on, should be ok (though, they are motivated, so they will try to escape).

My vote: hamsters.

[quote name='greydemise']hey guys :(..thanks for all the help, however, i decided to bring home a little rat friend from the pet store yesterday.[/QUOTE]

If you ever get one again, be sure to actually take the advice you were given about getting 2. It's a lot easier to get 2 that were bonded in the first place rather than 1, then another later, then try to get them socialized with each other. It's not as simple as 'Here's a second one, just dump it in the others cage.'. You'll entirely possibly end up with two dead rats if you do that.

And while you're waiting, do your research about them before you buy them-- Getting a pet, any pet, isn't a decision I would personally feel comfortable making in a week. Do your research on all of em that you're actually considering, don't base it on a message board, because for every good story you'll hear there are things being left out that might not suit you or your living situation. For rats, the best resource is the RMCA, and there's plenty of other sites out there for other animals too that tell you how to properly care for them.

I still say a yorkshire terrier. They really aren't much bigger than a ferret when fully grown (4-6 pounds depending on the breed), and never shed. Perfect for at home or in an apartment. Here's a pic of my new one to give you an idea on size. Pic/Pic

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']so you like young pussies.....the jokes they are too easy[/QUOTE]

Um.. doesn't everybody ? jk...

I am partial to dogs... you can't get a pet anymore loyal then that. They are obviously more work then a smaller animal... but the worth every moment.

bread's done
Back